First gold mine licensed in Rattanakiri.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: First gold mine licensed in Rattanakiri.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

All Eyes on Angkor Gold’s Upcoming Drilling Results
Matthew Bohlsen | November 21, 2018 |

The Kingdom of Cambodia’s government has implemented and upgraded infrastructure to undertake improvements that attract industry. These undertakings include upgrades to highway conditions, access to hydro power from Vietnam, and adoption of Anti-Corruption Laws in 2010. These improvements extended to the establishment of the Cambodian Association for Mining and Exploration Companies (CAMEC). This organization is recognized by the Cambodian government and promotes a responsible and sustainable mining industry in Cambodia.

On November 15, 2018, the President of Angkor Gold Corp., J.P. Dau, announced the commencement of drilling on their Banlung property. The current drilling campaign underway at Banlung is part of a commitment by Hommy 5 Resources Inc. to fund up to USD $3.65 million of exploration work on the property. Angkor’s Banlung property in north eastern Cambodia includes two primary prospects – Okalla West and Okalla East with gold mineralization associated with an alkaline intrusive complex. Approximately USD $1.2 million in work has been done at Banlung since the beginning of 2017, including shallow drilling to investigate and better understand the underlying structure.

Angkor’s President J.P. Dau stated: “We are very pleased to now be drilling the gold targets developed in the previous auger programs conducted by Angkor on the Banlung property. Hommy Resources has been an excellent fit to our team and we are very much looking forward to the drill results.”
https://investorintel.com/sectors/gold- ... g-results/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

You may have missed this:

April 3, 2019
Gold production to begin this year, Ministry says

The Ministry of Mines and Energy yesterday said two mining firms will begin producing gold in upcoming months.
Peng Navuth, under-secretary of state at the ministry, said Indian-owned Mesco Gold will begin extracting this year, while Australia’s Renaissance Minerals is likely to begin in 2020.

Mr Navuth was speaking at the 7th Extractive Industries Governance Forum, held yesterday at Phnom Penh’s Sunway Hotel.

In 2016, Mesco Gold (Cambodia) was granted the first commercial mining license in the Kingdom for Ratanakkiri’s Phum Syarung gold mine.

Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia), a subsidiary of Emerald Resources NL, was granted a mining license in 2018 covering 11.5 square kilometres at the Okvau gold project, in Mondulkiri’s Mondul Seima district.

Mr Navuth could not provide an estimate of how much gold will be extracted by each firm.

Meng Saktheara, secretary of state of the ministry, said Cambodia will become much more attractive to investors once it establishes gold mining and oil extraction operations.

“Once we start producing gold and crude oil, more international companies will want to invest in our mining sector,” Mr Saktheara said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/592785/gol ... stry-says/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

From the government news site, Fresh News, today:
Coal and Gold Mines Found in Cambodia's Oddar Meanchey and Mundolkiri
18/11/19 21:15

Phnom Penh (FN), Nov. 18 – Cambodian Prime Minister HE has announced the mining explorations of coal and gold in two provinces of Cambodia that can further boost the kingdom's economy, speaking in a graduation ceremony at National Institute of Education on Monday.

“We have yet used our natural resources such as fuel and coal. Coal has just been found in Oddar Meanchey province that can be used for electricity generation there. Our gold mines, mentioned in the report a few days ago, could generate reasonable amount invested by Australian companies," the premier underlined.

Yos Monirath, director general of mines resource of Ministry of Mines and Energy, told Fresh News on 18 November that Prime Minister has referred to the report by Renaissance Mining Cambodia Company, which has been granted the right to invest on gold mining in Keo Seima district, Mundolkiri province.

The company said it could mine about 900,000 ounces of gold in the period of eight years [an ounce can earn more than USD 1,460], according to the director general.
=FRESH NEWS

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mesco Gold Provides Update on Gold Refinery Facility in Cambodia
Paul Ploumi
22 June 2020
The company had purchased rights to develop the mine from Angkor Gold in 2013 in a $1.2 million deal.
SEATTLE (Scrap Monster): The Indian-owned mining firm Mesco Gold announced that it expects to start gold production at its Phum Syarung gold mine in Ratanakiri, Cambodia refinery facility by March next year.

According to company representative, installation works of the processing plant, which was temporarily halted on account of Covid-19 disruptions, are expected to restart at the earliest. The construction is expected to be completed within six months. It noted that the international travel restrictions have caused delay in finalizing the order for refinery machinery, which also has added to the project delay.

The company had purchased rights to develop the mine from Angkor Gold in 2013 in a $1.2 million deal. It had obtained commercial license in 2016. After which it had started plant installation works. Around 20% of the work was completed, when it was forced to halt operations in March this year, following the spread of the pandemic.

The facility will have capacity to refine between 350 and 500 tonnes of gold ore per day. The gold will be mainly supplied to domestic market. It also intends to sell it in Singapore and India.
https://www.scrapmonster.com/news/mesco ... ia/1/75786

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

They have had a few goes at It around Cambodia previously see how we go this time! Good Luck!
Industry structure
Cambodia's mineral industry is still in its infant stage, and most mining companies are small-scale quarries that produce such construction materials as limestone, sand and gravel, and other construction aggregates. Production capacity data are not available for each of these small miners. Between 1994 and 2006, the MIME granted a total of 19 mineral exploration licenses to local and foreign companies, of which 11 projects were to explore for metallic minerals; 3, for iron ore; 2, for gold; 2, for bauxite; and 1, for coal. Between 2005 and 2006, the MIME had granted mining licenses to 11 companies; five of the licenses were for gemstone (zircon) projects, five were for limestone projects, and one was for a granite project.[1]

As of 2012, the MIME reported that a total of 91 domestic and foreign companies held mining and exploration licenses in Cambodia. A total of 139 exploration projects were authorized under the licenses granted, out of which 13 had been licensed to conduct mining projects[2] In early 2013, Chinese engineering firm Sinomach China Perfect Machinery Industry Corp and Cambodian Petrochemical Company announced they would jointly build a $2.3 billion oil refinery in Sihanoukville, which would be the first oil refinery in the country.[3]

Commodities
Gold
In February 2006, 100% of Liberty Mining International PTY. Ltd., which had 100% interest in two gold projects in the Ban Lung and the Ou Ya Dav/Andoung Meas areas in Ratanakiri Province, was acquired by Great Australian Resources Ltd. (GAR). During 2006, GAR reportedly undertook and completed an aeromagnetic survey of the two project areas and carried out an extensive soil geochemical sampling program in the Ban Lung area and a diamond drilling program in the Ou Ya Dav area.[1]
Some miners especially those who have to answer to share holders and a board of directors that like to keep their reputations in tact in their home country "do and can abide" by the rules ! We only hear about the bad ones or the huge mistakes that have been made both environmentally and socially! Good Luck
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Long read and very interesting article which underlines the misunderstandings (deliberate or not) and the imbalance of power in deals between the international mining companies and the local indigenous people in Ratankkiri province who are not sufficiently protected by government safeguards.

Mining companies hunt for buried treasure on indigenous Cambodian land
Jarai villagers remain wary of promises by foreign companies aiming to dig for precious metal
Written By: Jack Brook
December 24, 2021

Deep in the forests of northeast Cambodia, bamboo shoots criss-crossed rays of sunlight as 26-year-old Tang Kalann passed by open and covered pits near the Tang Se community, comprising four indigenous Jarai villages where he lives.

For years, the mining firm Angkor Resources Corp., formerly Angkor Gold Corp., had been surveying, digging and drilling all around Tang Se in hopes of building a full-scale mine in Ratanakiri province.

“This place has a lot of gold,” said Tang, hiking through white wildflowers and over fallen trees in the Andong Meas district near the Vietnam border. Near the top of the rise, Tang looked over the edge of an Angkor pit, now partially enclosed by mud.

Companies granted economic land concessions and, in the case of Angkor, mineral exploration licences have operated on indigenous land in Ratanakiri for decades under the protection of Cambodian law but without the consent of communities.

The 2007 United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) states applicants must gain Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) to use indigenous land. The standard calls for communities to be given complete information about commercial activities and an opportunity to approve or deny them without coercion.

“We knew absolutely nothing when the company started to come here”
Sal Ploeun, Tang Se community leader

While Cambodia voted in favour of UNDRIP, the country has yet to legally require FPIC. Most companies do not seek indigenous consent beyond conducting environmental impact assessments.

Angkor was no exception at first. Villagers spent years protesting the company, including prominently displaying a “no mine” sign and producing an opposition video with an NGO.

“We knew absolutely nothing when the company started to come here,” said Sal Ploeun, a Tang Se community leader.

The company and the community resolved the standoff in April through an agreement detailing Angkor’s commitments, which included securing collective land titles and guaranteeing rehabilitation of property used for mining. Both sides found the terms mutually beneficial and Angkor touts the accord as proving the possibility of an ethical agreement with an indigenous community.

Looking down into the pit, Tang said Angkor has become increasingly transparent since the agreement, but the negative experiences linger.

“They allowed people to come and watch, to see if there is an effect on the community land,” he said. “But I still don’t really trust them.”

Tang and other residents recall events in Peak Village, another Jarai community a couple hours away in Ratanakiri’s O’Yadaw district. The Indian mining company Mesco Gold made similar promises to invest in community development in exchange for mining rights in 2015. Mesco, which bought area land rights from Angkor, has since failed to deliver on many of its commitments.

The Angkor and Mesco agreements underscore the difficulty indigenous communities face in securing beneficial corporate relationships through negotiated agreements and their relative powerlessness to enforce implementation.

The area traditionally held by the Jarai community of Tang Se reflects a history shaped and remade by outside forces: the nearby border separating the village from its Jarai neighbors in Vietnam, ponds formed in craters left by bombs and ramshackle huts of the community’s old village left to be reclaimed by the jungle after dam construction increased flood vulnerability.

In the shade of a tree outside his home, where a string of green bananas ripened behind him, Kalann Dean reflects on the companies and officials involved in area projects.

“The reason we didn’t trust Angkor is that we had seen other communities which had bad experiences before,” said Dean, a community leader. “And we don’t trust the authorities because they value the companies more than the communities.”

Tang Se community members now conduct patrols to guard against encroachment.

Outside the residential area, a large rubber plantation meets a wall of wild grass, the border of property controlled by Vietnamese company 7 Makara Phary, which received a long-term government concession to farm there.

Red plastic ties later emerged on community land when Angkor established its working sites, leaving villagers confused and nervous about the company’s plans.
ImagePhoto Jack Brook
Full article; read on: https://southeastasiaglobe.com/mining-c ... dian-land/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I have had a good look at a number of YouTube vids of some of the new gold operations in Cambodia.
I am even more worried now that they will be unable to contain various kinds of spillage and runoff during the monsoon season.
The worst risk of course is the cyanide in the settling ponds (but not only that).

Unfortunately the gold mining industry cannot claim to be underserving of constant scrutiny.
Even the big miners who have reputations to protect get away with whatever they can. Mid level and smaller gold miners are notorious.

Having said that, Cambodia sure could do with some home spun $$$. It is unrealistic to put a kibosh on all mining.
(i keep trying to tell myself that anyway)

It would probably be useful if environmentalists acknowledged and encouraged those miners with the best practices too - even if they aren't perfect.
But that would depend on full openness to inspection by the miners - and a bit more acceptance of realty by us conservationists.

It's always a dance - lol. usually some kind of Haka.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

^^ This is where, in a normal country where laws are obeyed, environmental protection surveillance from government bodies would be looking out for the best interests of the country and its people. Well, ideally. Or, at the least, greenies and human rights groups would be jumping up and down and asking questions.

I know that this sort of shit (the govt turning a blind eye) happens everywhere, even in wonderful developed countries like Australia and NZ :wink: , but in Cambodia there is no oversight at all by government agencies if the correct money is paid. Look at the frenzy of illegal logging as an obvious example.
In Ratanakkiri, and other areas where mining takes place, it can be difficult for outsiders (journalists or activists or even govt employees from outside the region) to gain access to sensitive areas owned/leased by private companies. The problems in Cambodia are compounded by the fact that a lot of the land involved is inhabited by indigenous tribes, as the article explains. These people are not protected by govt agencies and they are easily exploited.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Very readable

HANDBOOK; LEADING PRACTICE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FOR THE MINING INDUSTRY -
4. Cyanide Management
https://www.industry.gov.au/sites/defau ... nglish.pdf

International Cyanide Management Code
https://cyanidecode.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... ement_Code
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:49 pm ^^ This is where, in a normal country where laws are obeyed, environmental protection surveillance from government bodies would be looking out for the best interests of the country and its people. Well, ideally. Or, at the least, greenies and human rights groups would be jumping up and down and asking questions.

I know that this sort of shit (the govt turning a blind eye) happens everywhere, even in wonderful developed countries like Australia and NZ :wink: , but in Cambodia there is no oversight at all by government agencies if the correct money is paid. Look at the frenzy of illegal logging as an obvious example.
In Ratanakkiri, and other areas where mining takes place, it can be difficult for outsiders (journalists or activists or even govt employees from outside the region) to gain access to sensitive areas owned/leased by private companies. The problems in Cambodia are compounded by the fact that a lot of the land involved is inhabited by indigenous tribes, as the article explains. These people are not protected by govt agencies and they are easily exploited.
Too true. and it is important.

Both of the docs posted above were developed and ratified by the gold ming industry.
One from Au, one international.
"Independent monitoring is crucial", or similar, is highlighted in both.
They both (in a very diplomatic way) also emphasise that those dealing with it on the ground, **including during transportation, are surprisingly clueless - right up to the engineers at the major miners - and that they need a lot of training.
It's a bit frightening actually, especially when you transpose that to the conditions here.

Governments everywhere, and the industry, all call for a high degree of diligence when operating gold mines. It's good for everybody but especially the nation. Let's hope everybody gets on board.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic