Police check for immigration purposes

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Police check for immigration purposes

Post by willyhilly »

Help! The Embassy just told me that I need a Khmer Police Report as does my partner before the visa process can be finalised. After nearly two years of going through the process this is a shock.
Has anyone done it? How much has to be paid to expedite it? I know where I lived all those years, but I have no proof. Does it have to go Sangkat by Sangkat or is there a central data base?
Silly question but I live in hope.
daraly
Expatriate

Re: Police check for immigration purposes

Post by daraly »

Which embassy?
daraly
Expatriate

Post by daraly »

Double post.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You will need Residence certificates from each Sangkat where you resided, which show the addresses where you lived and the dates you lived at each address, then you can go to the Ministry of Justice to apply for your CRC.

There is a detailed post on K440 which explains the process, I will try to find and post the link for you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Here ya go, have a read through this thread from K440, plenty of helpful information ...

[Khmer440 link removed.]
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@PSD-Kiwi, under what circumstances is a police clearance report usually required? Ditto for Residence Certification Letter?

Just wondering if it's something I should be looking into for the future. Should I be starting to get residence certificates from eons ago, now, just in case?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Criminal record checks may be required for any number of purposes, from Immigration to new jobs.

For example, if my partner and I plan to move to NZ, we would be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residents visa for her because we have been in a relationship for 5+ yrs and I have been living outside of NZ for 5+ yrs, one of the requirements is that we would both need to provide a CRC from any counyry in which we have resided in for 6+ months.

Almost every contract I work on, requires that I provide a CRC no older than 6mths, although I just pr ovide one from NZ becausr technically I am not considered a resident of Cambodia.

It is important, if you ever intend to get a Cambodian CRC, to ensure that whenever you move into a new place you ensure that the landlord registers you with the Sangkat, if not it will be difficult getting Residence certificates down the track.

Technically, all Foreigners residing in Cambodia are supposed to be in possession of a Residence certificate...but reality is a different story.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

willyhilly wrote:Help! The Embassy just told me that I need a Khmer Police Report as does my partner before the visa process can be finalised. After nearly two years of going through the process this is a shock.
Has anyone done it? How much has to be paid to expedite it? I know where I lived all those years, but I have no proof. Does it have to go Sangkat by Sangkat or is there a central data base?
Silly question but I live in hope.
just take ur rental agreement and go to the sangkat to get residence certificate, take residence certificate and some other more documents to ministry of interior to get criminal record etc ( why do u need a police report? as u r not a khmer citizen)
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bolueeleh wrote:
just take ur rental agreement and go to the sangkat to get residence certificate, take residence certificate and some other more documents to ministry of interior to get criminal record etc ( why do u need a police report? as u r not a khmer citizen)
Need to go to Ministry of Justice, not MoI.

Not sure why the OP needs a police report, but see my examples above, many reasons why a foreigner who has lived in Cambodia may need one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic