Noise restriction law in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Eveee
Tourist

Noise restriction law in Phnom Penh

Post by Eveee »

Hi I would to know if there is any law regarding noise restriction, and who I can contact regarding the issue.

A restaurant near my house, Phnom Penh Sea Food, has a roof top "beer garden" that blast loud music 4-5 nights a week, most days till 2-3AM. I've tried calling the restaurant to ask them to either lower their volume or shut the music entirely (which I only request after 12am). I've called at least 10-15 times in the past 2 months. Sometimes they answer their phones and apologize, only to proceed to continue with the music. On certain days they do not pick up my calls at all because they regconise my number.

I understand that they have a business to run, but the rooftop is an open space and they are disturbing their entire neighborhood. Thanks.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Noise restriction law in Phnom Penh

Post by Username Taken »

That restaurant is owned by a very rich and well connected family. There's not much you can do. Perhaps you could move to a quieter location.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I think you should give it a try to talk to local authority. I believe that Cambodia has a law on noise pollution.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

no really anything u can do, unless u want to find out how much money u need spend for the police to do something
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There is actually a law, but good luck getting anyone to enforce that law, especially if the persons responsible for the noise pollution are rich and/or connected.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I have a set of big horn/bell loud speakers I can sell you. Three or four hours of submarine dive alarm played at max warp volume does some interesting things. It either educates the offenders or brings the police. Either way a win/win. It worked for me.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Sailorman wrote:I have a set of big horn/bell loud speakers I can sell you. Three or four hours of submarine dive alarm played at max warp volume does some interesting things. It either educates the offenders or brings the police. Either way a win/win. It worked for me.

Yea, some of that ting-tong ting-tong wedding music is bound to chase the foreign customers away. But I think you cannot do it by yourself, you need the support of the other neighbours in your area, Even if you have to pay them.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

Respect is a two way street unless of course your a barang in Cambodia.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Move, and get a Spanish witch to curse their stomachs.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Lex
Expatriate

Post by Lex »

Eveee wrote:Hi I would to know if there is any law regarding noise restriction, and who I can contact regarding the issue.

A restaurant near my house, Phnom Penh Sea Food, has a roof top "beer garden" that blast loud music 4-5 nights a week, most days till 2-3AM. I've tried calling the restaurant to ask them to either lower their volume or shut the music entirely (which I only request after 12am). I've called at least 10-15 times in the past 2 months. Sometimes they answer their phones and apologize, only to proceed to continue with the music. On certain days they do not pick up my calls at all because they regconise my number.

I understand that they have a business to run, but the rooftop is an open space and they are disturbing their entire neighborhood. Thanks.

Unfortunately this is one of those "Always view your potential home at different times of the day and night before moving in" situations. Sorry you're finding out the hard way.

If you've got a extra pillow handy, you can try covering your exposed ear to help muffle the noise. Alprazolam also helps with irritating situations but is pretty addictive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic