Cambodian Mom, Barang Dad and Tiger Balm

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Mom, Barang Dad and Tiger Balm

Post by bolueeleh »

there are ointments specially made for infants
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Some things I'm open to, but cultural differences in child rearing always appear in mixed couples (Khmer-American, Spanish-Australian, French-German etc). Couples often argue about child rearing regardless of cultural differences anyways.

Some things I can deal with and would let the mom do, but lot's of the bullshit medieval stuff I wouldn't. Scissors under the pillow? Smoke under the kid's bed? Hard boiled egg to a bump on the head? No thanks lady. Some of the medical stuff I've heard from Cambodian (usually women: seems everything is wind in your stomach) makes me laugh out loud, but some of it is downright dangerous and I wouldn't let them do it on my kid. I've never been a fan of tiger balm and pretty much never use it myself, but it's fairly low on my list of weird things Asians do. I wouldn't let her put it on a kid under 5 though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The stuff doesn't make anyone warm though, it just evaporates and gives a burning sensation. If it works for some things that's fine. Those stupid big white plasters that sick people put on their heads are whack though. I think they just do it for attention.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote:Those stupid big white plasters that sick people put on their heads are whack though. I think they just do it for attention.
I've seen that a few times now, what's that all about?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

timmydownawell wrote:
John Bingham wrote:Those stupid big white plasters that sick people put on their heads are whack though. I think they just do it for attention.
I've seen that a few times now, what's that all about?
menthol, ecalyptus shit again
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy wrote:Tiger balm is not recommended for children under 2 years due to potential toxicity through over-absorption by vulnerable skin:
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic9651.html

This does not prevent it from being used as a cure-all for all ages in Cambodia:
The report found mothers used balms for health reasons – to mature or firm up the skin on the head or stomach, or to prevent diarrhea.

Mother Leang Eng, 29, yesterday said she used balms on her 1-year-old and had never been informed the products might be dangerous. “I put the balm on the belly to make it not bloat, and on the head to make it stronger,” she said.

Nov Vanna, who operates Pharmacy Dararaksmey in Phnom Penh, said she did not know if customers used the products on their infants, although some queried which were suitable for infants. “I don’t know which types are safe for children. I just sell it,” she said...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/p ... ies-report

I wouldn't dream of questioning Cambodian child-care norms,

but did you ever stick your finger in your eye or up your nose after using tiger balm ?

Potent stuff.
“It rarely causes any fatalities but there are long-term effects – a kind of desensitisation to strong medications,[Cambodian-American doctor Mengly Quach said]

And you never want to have a piss or scratch your dick after handling the stuff. It does not increase the blood flow down there either.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

I did actually, it gives u a burning sensation fellowed by numbness, thus increasing ur stamina :D
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

bolueeleh wrote:I did actually, it gives u a burning sensation fellowed by numbness, thus increasing ur stamina :D
And how did she feel about it.

OK , How did he feel about it ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Duncan wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:I did actually, it gives u a burning sensation fellowed by numbness, thus increasing ur stamina :D
And how did she feel about it.

OK , How did he feel about it ?
both acceptable, a heshe :D
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

John Bingham wrote:The stuff doesn't make anyone warm though, it just evaporates and gives a burning sensation. If it works for some things that's fine. Those stupid big white plasters that sick people put on their heads are whack though. I think they just do it for attention.

I think it does help cooling you when you have fever. it ain't bad.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic