Virak Buntham Runs Speed Boat To Koh Rong And Koh Rong Samleom

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Virak Buntham Runs Speed Boat To Koh Rong And Koh Rong Samleom

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I went once in Feb 2016 and before that maybe 3-5 years prior. I don't really plan on going back to be honest, they probably have a Disneyland out there now. /grumpy expat
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I went once in Feb 2016 and before that maybe 3-5 years prior. I don't really plan on going back to be honest, they probably have a Disneyland out there now. /grumpy expat
Lol. I want to go see what's happening there but I might also be a "grumpy expat" :wave:
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

Koh Rong Samloem is still fairly undeveloped but there are $150/night bungalows on Saracen Bay now and a place with a swimming pool.

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

I've actually never been on Koh Rong, only LRS. First time I went you needed a small fishing boat (or maybe a party boat?) to get there. Last time was a big queue of backpackers (and expats?) waiting for a while bunch of speedboats... Not exactly the same experience. Same for the island. Only a small handful of bungalows, last time there was a German woman on the island screaming orders at everyone to make sure they booked return tickets ahead of time. Way too many restaurants and bungalows. Wasn't a "retreat" anymore but a mini-,Sihanoukville. Hated it and I doubt I'll ever go back. But then again, I don't even really like beaches to begin with, so I'm a bit biased.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I went to both Islands and i just went again this April. The two islands are still the most beautiful beaches in Cambodia in my opinion. I don't know if i have posted pictures i took there on here before. If not i will try to get them on here and maybe a write up of my experiences travelling alone there.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I've actually never been on Koh Rong, only LRS. First time I went you needed a small fishing boat (or maybe a party boat?) to get there. Last time was a big queue of backpackers (and expats?) waiting for a while bunch of speedboats... Not exactly the same experience. Same for the island. Only a small handful of bungalows, last time there was a German woman on the island screaming orders at everyone to make sure they booked return tickets ahead of time. Way too many restaurants and bungalows. Wasn't a "retreat" anymore but a mini-,Sihanoukville. Hated it and I doubt I'll ever go back. But then again, I don't even really like beaches to begin with, so I'm a bit biased.

oh, thank you. I assumed you had actually been to Koh Rong.

Its actually quite difficult to research information about Koh Rong, because most of the people with lots of opinions on it, haven't actually been to the island.

I posted a thread earlier this year enquiring about walking on Koh Rong, which unfortunately didn't get much response, for this very reason
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Samouth wrote:I went to both Islands and i just went again this April. The two islands are still the most beautiful beaches in Cambodia in my opinion. I don't know if i have posted pictures i took there on here before. If not i will try to get them on here and maybe a write up of my experiences travelling alone there.
The beaches on the islands are beautiful, Koh Rong especially. Visited Boracay in the Phillipines in Jan 2015 for the 1st time, yes pretty good, & then was completely gobsmacked, when I visited Ko Rong in Feb 2015, a completely different class altogether
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

They're in the process of building a road that will run the whole length of the island so you will be able to get minibuses from Koh Touch, the main pier at the southern end of the island, all the way up to Sok San Village/Beach at the top of Long Set?? Beach on the west coast. Lots of high end development occurring around Sok San.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

So it'll be just another island soon. I like that KRS was actually quiet before. Where else did you go in the Philippines? I've never really been impressed with the beaches in Cambodia to be honest. I'm surprised you found the islands here nicer. KRS is nice, but there are tons of other places with clear water and white sand. The only thing that made it nice for me was the fact that it wasn't really busy, but that has changed already. Give it another 5 years and the jungle will be gone and some ugly Sokha hotel will be on one of the hilltops.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

lurcio wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Yeah, I was about to say: will they manage to crash the boats the same way their buses seem to constantly crash? Hopefully they get a different departure date. Last time I was there every company had the same departure time for all the boats towards either island. Result: tons of people on the pier at the same time, which means every single boat was late. You'd think someone with a brain cell or two would decide to stagger departure times by 15 or 30 minutes... Let's see if Vireak wisen up (though I think they don't have the a choice as pier is full now).

Either way, those islands are really turning to shit. Not much attractive about them now, though they do seem to make for a good backpacker graveyard.
Sounds like the boats will leave from the Port not Serendipity Pier so will struggle to get tourists who are not connecting off one of their buses.

That above is what is going to probably happen... bus co sells ticket right to Island.... dont know why the are not already doing it but maybe this lot have figured it out. If so will quieten down beach road a fair bit!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic