is Cambodia full of bored alcoholics?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

is Cambodia full of bored alcoholics?

Post by Retardedwaitress »

Ive seen one guy in sihnoukville drink 14 beers before noon to entertain himself while others just plain live on bar stools .
I see a real lack of imagination here in cambodia and alot of barangs just doing nothing but drink day in day out.
Far out i mean thats fun for a month but for 15 years or 20 years thats just dull and boring.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: is Cambodia full of bored alcoholics?

Post by shnoukieBRO »

There are a mix of people, probably a fair few drinkers, but barlife in Asia is a main attraction as well, especially those living on their pensions, etc.

Still, many people work hard in Cambodia so it isn't fair to tarnish them all with the same brush. Cambodia is just a place where free time is cheaper that in 1st world countries, and so is the beer!

:beer2: :beer3: :popcorn:
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Life is full of choices.

Some people here like fussing over their plants and pigs and goats, some like contributing online and surfing the 'net and some enjoy sitting on bar stools and getting steadily more plastered as the day wears on.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

You may be interested in this similar related (very long) thread . Should keep you occupied for a while.....

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/general ... meaningful

Oh, and NO, i'm not using this as an excuse to revive an old thread!

:stir:
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

This is common everywhere that alcohol is allowed, especially in Southeast Asia. What do you think expats in Laos and Vietnam do in their free time. Petanque? Same in Thailand after you lost all your money to a bar girl and family.

These days, thanks to medical science people are living way past their expiration date, so they have an extra 20 - 30 years with nothing to do. Look at this poor fellow: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... th-at-145/

Of course, doing what you love can keep you happy. Look at Hugh Hefner, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry. Not to mention Iggy Pop and Keith Richards.

Some it kills and some it preserves. A couple of them together can ruin an otherwise good restaurant because almost all of them chain smoke as well, of course. Sometimes it's the owner and his "mates"! :D

Anyway, you're right. The world is full of them, not just Cambodia. You can't avoid them, so the best thing to do is avoid becoming one of them.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

sigmoid wrote:This is common everywhere that alcohol is allowed, especially in Southeast Asia. What do you think expats in Laos and Vietnam do in their free time. Petanque? Same in Thailand after you lost all your money to a bar girl and family.

These days, thanks to medical science people are living way past their expiration date, so they have an extra 20 - 30 years with nothing to do. Look at this poor fellow: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... th-at-145/

Of course, doing what you love can keep you happy. Look at Hugh Hefner, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry. Not to mention Iggy Pop and Keith Richards.

Some it kills and some it preserves. A couple of them together can ruin an otherwise good restaurant because almost all of them chain smoke as well, of course. Sometimes it's the owner and his "mates"! :D

Anyway, you're right. The world is full of them, not just Cambodia. You can't avoid them, so the best thing to do is avoid becoming one of them.
Yeh perhaps temporarily its great but seeing what i have seen the bar stool do is a dead end.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Retardedwaitress wrote: Yeh perhaps temporarily its great but seeing what i have seen the bar stool do is a dead end.
Funny, but this is definately an Ex pat activity if The Gambia, is anything to go by. Plenty of them are boozers, especially the older crowd. However, no doubt they were pub drinkers back in their home countries.

Also note that some beer drinkers have been known to reside in cheaper countries to be able to sit and drink beer all day, without having to work like a slave.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

shnoukieBRO wrote:
Retardedwaitress wrote: Yeh perhaps temporarily its great but seeing what i have seen the bar stool do is a dead end.
Funny, but this is definately an Ex pat activity if The Gambia, is anything to go by. Plenty of them are boozers, especially the older crowd. However, no doubt they were pub drinkers back in their home countries.

Also note that some beer drinkers have been known to reside in cheaper countries to be able to sit and drink beer all day, without having to work like a slave.
Yeh but cmon they are still a slave to the bottle almost as bad as a slave to a c#nt boss and w#nker co workers.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Retardedwaitress wrote:
shnoukieBRO wrote:

Yeh but cmon they are still a slave to the bottle almost as bad as a slave to a c#nt boss and w#nker co workers.
You are looking at a rather limited demographic that probably manifests itself more in Kampong Som than anywhere else in Cambodia. I think it is fair to say that it has attracted quite a number of retirees of low socioeconomic status and this group like to drink. If you spend time drinking yourself with this demographic then of course that's all you will see. There's plenty to do in Kampong Som if you want, such as fishing scuba diving, climbing, walking and off road riding and you will mix with a different set of people. Of course expats only engage in this stuff at weekends as they are generally working.

In Phnom Penh there is a wider range of venues to choose from and the opportunity to mix with a different set of expats. However most of the expats will be at work during the day and would only come out at night, if at all, and therefor you are less likely to bump into them. I have lived here 20 years and visit some fairly ordinary bars at times and never really come across the people you describe. I realize that one could probably find a similar demographic in GSM in Phnom Penh and draw similar conclusions, but this is a very limited demographic.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

you mean victory hill and the square are unrepresentative?
ST 51?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic