Riel as a real currency.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Rama
Expatriate

Re: Riel as a real currency.

Post by Rama »

I very regularly get 50,000 riel notes used in my café.
The 100,000 very rarely gets used to pay for goods, but I get offered them when banking.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

They are in circulation and used widely. Just not so much in PP.
Red Ops
Expatriate

Post by Red Ops »

I've noticed a lot more 50k and even 100k notes being used in the provinces over the last 12-18 months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic