Healing burns, wounds, cuts ect

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
draw
Tourist

Healing burns, wounds, cuts ect

Post by draw »

Is it ok to shower with a burn or open wound in Cambodia?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Healing burns, wounds, cuts ect

Post by Anchor Moy »

draw wrote:Is it ok to shower with a burn or open wound in Cambodia?
Hi, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with all the recommendations on how to treat a burn, but until then DO NOT shower with your burn. According to where you are burnt you may be able to cover it with plastic bag when you shower, but you should avoid getting it wet.
Otherwise, I put papaya flesh on my burn last year which seemed to do it good. It is actually recommended in burn treatment.
AM
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

It really depends on the size of the burn/wound. Certainly not OK if a large area is burnt. Personally, I find that small wounds heal very badly when covered, what with all the humidity and that, and leave them exposed. Anything bigger than a small coin and it is off to the Doc. Many years ago, I had a small wound but did not pay attention. Ended up at the SOS and almost had my leg chopped off.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there is a fantastic dry topical use antibiotic powder that will swiftly stop even tropical ulcers.
called Cicatrin
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

The water in cambodia contains human shit
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

hanno wrote:It really depends on the size of the burn/wound. Certainly not OK if a large area is burnt. Personally, I find that small wounds heal very badly when covered, what with all the humidity and that, and leave them exposed.
I second this. I had scuffed the back of my hand wen I first got here, and after having a band aid on it, it was all weepy and soggy looking. You really need to dry that out because if it doesn't scab it won't heal. If it stays all soggy it'll probably just get infected. If it's a bigger wound then ignore this and get medical advice.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Retardedwaitress wrote:The water in cambodia contains human shit
You contain a lot of shit.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BUD
Expatriate
China

Post by BUD »

Hi Draw, just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. I have no medical training whatsoever but I've been here a few years and have had numerous burns, cuts and abrasions ( I seem to regularly burn my ankles on hot Moto exhausts for some drunken reason ). I am completely paranoid about flesh eating bacteria and antibiotic resistant bacteria. I've meet people who showed me the results. I totally agree with everyones advice previous ( except Retarded Trapper, or whatever his username is now ). I know it's not a great idea, but depending on the location, its VERY difficult to keep a cut completely dry in the shower, so I don't bother trying. I do hit it with Betadiene ( or the local 10% iodine equivalent ) immediately after and that seems to disinfect it. Hydrogen Peroxide is even better but apparently that can 'burn' new skin cells, so may be counter productive. I would definitely NOT go swimming , especially in the sea, but also in a pool. Also definitely avoid puddles and run off during rainy season. They were the source of the really bad infections I've seen. I would cover exposed areas, especially burns because they seem to weep for a day or 2, with a bandage or large bandaid just during the day cause there's so much dust and 'shit' in the air and leave it uncovered when your inside so it can scab up. Keep a close watch. Some redness is normal, but if its excessive, or ANY swelling, remove the scab and hit it with Antibiotic Powder or Gel. If that doesn't help almost immediately, go to one of the clinics and get some antibiotics. Also look after yourself because the Immune System plays a big part in fighting infections. Eat some Vitamin C and/or Garlic, they will help (probably lots of others). This all may seem a lot, but " a stitch in time saves nine" (or your leg!) Good luck!
I miss SinnSisamouth and Sailorman. But my aim is getting better!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic