The Angkor Beer Protest. What to do ?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

The Angkor Beer Protest. What to do ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Angkor beer workers in Sihanoukville are protesting again. What to do ? Boycott Angkor in solidarity with the workers, and switch to Anchor or Cambodia, or just stock up in case there is a shortage ? :beer2:
Note: I don't drink Angkor myself (much), but it must be one of Cambodia's most popular brands, so I'm thinking of all you Angkor-drinkers out there and your terrible dilemma. :Search:

Angkor Beer workers want Chinese boss booted

Mon, 22 August 2016
Sen David

Almost 200 factory workers at Cambrew in Sihanoukville will gather to protest the Angkor Beer company today, demanding one manager be fired and a dismissed co-worker rehired.

An Rama, an official at the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union, said the warehouse workers’ were continuing after a similar-sized protest on Saturday.

Earlier this year, female beer promoters protested lengthened night-time working hours and claimed they were fired as a result, though Cambrew, half-owned by Danish conglomerate Carlsburg, maintained the 11 staff had quit due to having their work schedules altered.

But the weekend protest seemingly revolved around managerial styles.

Rama said the protesters are demanding Lim Roath, a Cambodian manager at the warehouse, be re-hired after he was dismissed without the company providing a reason.

They also wanted manager Y K Wong, a Chinese-Malaysian national, to be fired, claiming he treated them poorly, in part due to his advance years...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... oss-booted
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: The Angkor Beer Protest. What to do ?

Post by General Mackevili »

I was about to start a topic on this a few days ago.

Apparently this has already disrupted the Angkor Beer supply chain in Phnom Penh, with several bars going without Angkor on tap for a few days now.

I think Anchor Beer is behind this whole thing in an attempt to push Angkor out while they launch their new bottles. :stir:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: The Angkor Beer Protest. What to do ?

Anchor Moy wrote:
An Rama, an official at the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers’ Democratic Union, said the warehouse workers’ were continuing after a similar-sized protest on Saturday.
God dammit, Rama. First you call us biased and now you're fucking with the country's beer supply.

Next you'll be telling us Trump is a humanitarian.

:wtf:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

seems like any industry in the land of wonder that hires lots of worker, are asking for headaches in the long run
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

I involuntarily had some Angkor draft in Phnom Penh last night (because it was the only beer they had on draft) and I've been suffering a suicide inducing headache today as a result.

I always get unbelievably horrible hangovers after drinking Angkor beer. Hope the strike lasts long enough to convince the restaurants/bars I frequent to switch out their Angkor draft for just about anything else..
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: The Angkor Beer Protest. What to do ?

doktor_d wrote:I involuntarily had some Angkor draft in Phnom Penh last night (because it was the only beer they had on draft) and I've been suffering a suicide inducing headache today as a result.
Angkor draft? You're lucky, as I believe Angkor is in very little supply in the whole country right now, from what I hear.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

General Mackevili wrote:
doktor_d wrote:I involuntarily had some Angkor draft in Phnom Penh last night (because it was the only beer they had on draft) and I've been suffering a suicide inducing headache today as a result.
Angkor draft? You're :bow: lucky, as I believe Angkor is in very little supply in the whole country right now, from what I hear.
I don't think I'd agree that "lucky" is the right word.. :bad:
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

doktor_d wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
Angkor draft? You're :bow: lucky, as I believe Angkor is in very little supply in the whole country right now, from what I hear.
I don't think I'd agree that "lucky" is the right word.. :bad:
Why, you lucky bastard...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I've been boycotting Angkor as much as possible for a long time, much prefer Anchor and Cambodia over Angkor.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

General Admin: Trump is more of a Humanitarian than the Hildabeast. The Hildabeast is a {delete} and further more she killed {delete} and accepts money from the Royal family in {delete}. I will say that Ben Carson was my man, because the Hildabeast in the past/present is a {delete, delete.}
(Just like this election, its a joke son.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic