Frenchman Was Hit By a Mob of Tuk Tuk Drivers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frenchman Was Hit By a Mob of Tuk Tuk Drivers

Post by General Mackevili »

LTO wrote: Yes, I've noticed that here. Thanks for clearing up what the press actually said.
Hey, only "slight."

You should learn to read Khmer, LTO, so you're not always guessing what was and wasn't printed.

I think our translation made it clear that the details were rather unknown, but read it how you want.

I had a bastard Tuk-Tuk take me and a lady friend from street 136 (we were eating on the riverside, I swear) to Pontoon and agreed to $1.50.

We get there and the fucker started asking for $2. I gave him the agreed upon fare and he was shitty, and we both started yelling profanities.

My Khmer friend was rather upset and I thought she might have been upset with me over the ordeal, but she thought it was fucked up he'd agree to a price then want more when we got there.

That story said, I rarely have problems with them.

You know you paid a fair price when they take it quietly and barely say thanks.

And you know you paid to much when they are super excited when you pay and say, "Thank you! I wait you here! No problem!"

That means they're glad to have found a sucker and will be more than happy to wait around for you to overpay again, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Frenchman Was Hit By a Mob of Tuk Tuk Drivers

Post by bolueeleh »

usually i just gave the agreed price and walked away, they can curse the stars, mommies, ancestors for i care, before i go to PP i always prepare lots of 1s and riels
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

General Mackevili wrote:
LTO wrote:Yes, I've noticed that here. Thanks for clearing up what the press actually said.
Hey, only "slight."

You should learn to read Khmer, LTO, so you're not always guessing what was and wasn't printed.

I think our translation made it clear that the details were rather unknown, but read it how you want...
I wasn't guessing. I was taking the CEO translation at its word. That may be a mistake, but I don't think its worth it to learn how to read Khmer just to check if CEO translations are biased or not. I thought the CEO translation was pretty clear:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:It wasn't sure when they got of the Tuk Tuk whether the Frenchman didn't give enough money or wasn't verbally kind to the tuk tuk. So, the fight erupted from there, the Tuk Tuk driver started hitting the Frenchman later a few other Tuk Tuk drivers jumped him to help the Tuk Tuk driver who was already fighting with the Frenchman.
Either the French guy failed to give the tuk tuk sufficient money or he was unkind to the tuktuk. One way or another, the French guy provoked the confrontation, so a physical confrontation began, and then more tuktuks jumped in to help.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Again, it says, "wasn't sure...." so spin it however you want, but it makes it clear the reason for the confrontation is "UNKNOWN."

Besides, you come off as one of the most "biased" whenever it's a case of Barang VS Khmer, LoL, that's a given.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

General Mackevili wrote:Again, it says, "wasn't sure...." so spin it however you want, but it makes it clear the reason for the confrontation is "UNKNOWN."
Here is what was written:
It wasn't sure when they got of the Tuk Tuk whether the Frenchman didn't give enough money or wasn't verbally kind to the tuk tuk.
This does not mean that the reason was unknown. In English, 'wasn't sure whether it was this or that' means that it was either this or it was that, but it is uncertain which one. In this case it means that either the Frenchman didn't give enough money or he wasn't verbally kind to the tuk tuk.
General Mackevili wrote:Besides, you come off as one of the most "biased" whenever it's a case of Barang VS Khmer, LoL, that's a given. Image
Really? Though I am often unwilling to jump on the bash the expat bandwagon, and I am very dubious of the Khmer press, I don't recall necessarily taking the barang side over the Khmer side as a general rule. Could you point out some example of where I have done this. Even in this case, I have not taken the barang side. He may have initiated the confrontation. What I found interesting was that the Khmer press offered only 'the barang provoked the attack' options, though they weren't sure exactly how he provoked them.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

LTO wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:It wasn't sure when they got of the Tuk Tuk whether the Frenchman didn't give enough money or wasn't verbally kind to the tuk tuk. So, the fight erupted from there, the Tuk Tuk driver started hitting the Frenchman later a few other Tuk Tuk drivers jumped him to help the Tuk Tuk driver who was already fighting with the Frenchman.
So a mob of tuktuk drivers beats up a tourist and the one thing the Khmer media is sure of is that the tourist somehow provoked the beating, but just not sure exactly how he provoked it.
I hate the french peoples superiority complex they have towards khmers and i agree with the press on this one .
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

I'm about to go to work, but in my opinion CEOCambodiaNews' translation is a rushed job and displays a bias.
The article is short and uses straightforward Khmer, Khmer news articles normally always employ a neutral journalistic voice reporting mainly facts.
In addition to stating that it is "not known what was said", the article also says (twice) that the Tuk-tuk driver was the one to start the attack (not that a "fight erupted") and it also states that "suddenly" the tuk-tuk driver started to hit the foreigner and was quickly joined by 2 or 3 other people. All the attackers plus the Khmer girlfriend fled the scene quickly.
Witnesses describe the foreigner as only getting out of the tuk-tuk and 'talking' to the driver but it is not known what was said out whether he didn't give sufficient money. The journalist also used a ? wrongly at the end of this sentence.

It'll be on Hang Meas later, but I have a long day ahead.
Hope I'm not attacked by any tuk-tuk drivers.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What is the point you are trying to make here Rama? Constructive criticism is highly welcomed here, but if you are trying to attack CEOCambodiaNews team, I guess we don't need your advice. We know what we are doing.

(មិន​ដឹង​និយាយ​អី​=not know speak what or not known what was said), literally it means that, but at CEO we don't translate word by word. We try to make our translation version readable and more sense. In the khmer sense, មិន​ដឹង​និយាយ​អី does imply that the Frenchman was talking about something that caused the Tuk Tuk driver to get mad and absolutely it wasn't about money as there was already another sentence talking about the tuk tuk fee.

I encourage you to talk with Gavin Mac about one incident that happened at katy peri's pizza in phnom penh. The translation was twisted around to put the blame on the khmer while the article suggested something completely the opposite.

I personally don't think that the translation above is bias, unless we translated it with the attention to put the blame on the foreigner while the article suggested it was the Cambodian's fault.

Do you agree that the whole article above suggests that it was the Frenchman's fault and he caused the fight to happen ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

stop trying to decode or fight over the news here in CEO, you gain nothing, read or dont read, believe or dont believe, thats it, period
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

LoL, I've said my piece to LTO and Rama, and I think they are being overly picky for something that clearly states the cause for the fight is/was/will likely stay UNKNOWN.

I get what you're saying, LTO, but again, if it were "known" there would ONLY be ONE stated reason and it wouldn't start with "wasn't sure..."

Sorry that the wording wasn't up to your highest standards of Khmer press translations, LoL...

And thanks Rama for helping out with translations, but to label us biased because of the exact wording of our translation of a Khmer article which is vague (and with incorrect punctuation as you state) at best is kind of silly.

Better yet, LTO, find a topic about an incident involving a foreigner and a Khmer where you WEREN'T on the foreigner's side, and I'll be shocked, LoL.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic