Phnom Penh rated one of the worst livable cities

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Phnom Penh rated one of the worst livable cities

Post by Micmac »

hanno wrote:
You learnt how to tackle a blaze? Perform emergency surgery on yourself after a bike crash? That is pretty impressive :hattip:
No,none of those
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Micmac wrote:
hanno wrote:
You learnt how to tackle a blaze? Perform emergency surgery on yourself after a bike crash? That is pretty impressive :hattip:
No,none of those
And that is what worries me at times. Any serious shit goes down and you are basically screwed.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Micmac wrote:
Until the day, God forbid, you have an emergency (fire, accident, etc.) and realize nobody will be coming.
I'm pretty self sufficient,I learnt along time ago never to rely on anyone,So its no big deal for me.
Sometimes self reliance can get tricky!

mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

And that is what worries me at times. Any serious shit goes down and you are basically screwed.

There was a fire a couple of years ago on Sivatha Blvd, the main street in Siem Reap, and the Fire Brigade demanded CASH-IN-HAND to put out the blaze and rescue those trapped.

THE WORST DREAD: A nasty road accident and the medical bills are astronomical - literally in the thousands at Royal Angkor Hospital in
Siem Reap (unlike post-Communist Bulgaria, where a girder banged in to shore up a fractured femur cost a mere 80 Euros)
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

hanno wrote: And that is what worries me at times. Any serious shit goes down and you are basically screwed.
And life is full of risks,you can wrap yourself up in cotton wool or go out and live to the fullest..If I die tomorrow
I would have no regrets..people told me you CANT cycle around Cambodia in the hottest part of the year,but I done it.

they also told me it would be unsafe,but I'm here to tell my stories ..Just saying brother I don't worry about things I cant control.
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Micmac - the point is NOT whether or not we wrap ourselves in cotton wool but whether we really wish that this country had
even a rudimentary publicly-funded health service of even East European competence.

Not ALL Cambodian doctors are appalling, but many (most?) simply prescribe antibiotics and a saline drip ...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

mammothboy2 wrote:Micmac - the point is NOT whether or not we wrap ourselves in cotton wool but whether we really wish that this country had
even a rudimentary publicly-funded health service of even East European competence.

Not ALL Cambodian doctors are appalling, but many (most?) simply prescribe antibiotics and a saline drip ...
Cotton wool? Far from it. I grew up in Kenya, lived in China and SE Asia for 20+ years and took my chances. But fact is that anything untoward happens here, a prayer may be the best bet.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

mammothboy2 wrote:And that is what worries me at times. Any serious shit goes down and you are basically screwed.

There was a fire a couple of years ago on Sivatha Blvd, the main street in Siem Reap, and the Fire Brigade demanded CASH-IN-HAND to put out the blaze and rescue those trapped.
Par for the course, I think the going rate is USD 800.00. By th time negotiations were over, most of those trapped had perished.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Phnom Penh rated one of the worst livable cities

Post by General Mackevili »

bolueeleh wrote:... so remember to lick a 100$ bill and stick it on ur fore head where ever u go :beer3:
Probably even better than wearing a helmet.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: RE: Re: Phnom Penh rated one of the worst livable cities

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:... so remember to lick a 100$ bill and stick it on ur fore head where ever u go :beer3:
Probably even better than wearing a helmet.

"Better" for sure if you want to get robbed. :good:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic