hotel/hostel with backup power, etc. in siem reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jmap
Expatriate

hotel/hostel with backup power, etc. in siem reap

Post by jmap »

Hello, this is for siem reap. We (2 adults) plan to stay in a hotel/hostel for a month or two until we get bearings. We need electricity for our online work. Generally 10 hours/work day.

Can anybody share their experience regarding backup power of hotels? It seems blackouts are not so much of a problem anymore and most hotels in the central area can provide them during the duration of the blackout even during March to June?

Our budget is generally from US$300 to 400ish.. maybe 500ish per month . We plan to stay in a fan room with windows on a higher floor (just from second floor up) as we generally have good experience with them in getting 3g signal in case wifi breaks (in the philippines anyway).

What is the general price range of a fan room of a hotel/hostel that has good backup power during blackouts. Sort of important too to allow us to cook in rice cooker (generally just to boil sweet potatoes and eggs -- staple food during work hours). Also pool. My partner likes to swim. Huge plus if the accommodation has good wifi signal consistency (just 3mbps at least). Recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Drinking water, are 5 gallon refills available in siem reap? how much do they cost? I understand some hotels offer unlimited water refills but most just give out 2 bottles on a daily basis? For both of us, we generally consume 7 liters of water per day so...

Thank you once again.
Last edited by jmap on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmap
Expatriate

Re: hotel/hostel with backup power, etc. in siem reap

Post by jmap »

so found the answers to my drinking water questions here: https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ask-the ... t9924.html

noob mistake..
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

After a disastrous 5-day power outage a few years ago, most guesthouses no have generators.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

hanno wrote:. . . . . . most guesthouses no have generators.
I hope that's a typo, hanno!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

hanno wrote:After a disastrous 5-day power outage a few years ago, most guesthouses no have generators.
I remember that. Wasn't the whole grid taken out by a drunk driver taking out the main electrical poles into the city.

Classic Cambodia
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
hanno wrote:After a disastrous 5-day power outage a few years ago, most guesthouses no have generators.
I remember that. Wasn't the whole grid taken out by a drunk driver taking out the main electrical poles into the city.

Classic Cambodia
The main line from Thailand, wasn't it?

kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:

Classic Cambodia

Well yeah, they one between Thailand and the Siam Reap grid.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:

Classic Cambodia

Well yeah, they one between Thailand and the Siam Reap grid.
was that in 2013?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

2012 0r 2013. Town was completely packed, I had a management meeting in the hotel I worked in, and full house, it was stinking hot and I was shitting bricks.

I did not trust our two old generators to last for a week and ordered a huge back-up generator from PP. The truck obviously broke down in KT but made it just before the police erected a road block as you got into SR, stopping all vehicles with generators and asking for the import papers. Nobody had those, of course, and the coppers had a nice little racket going for the 4-5 days it lasted.
jmap
Expatriate

Post by jmap »

wow five days, I imagined that would have been a nightmare..

So if most guesthouses have backup power now (even the ones 2km away form town?) I guess I should concentrate my search on which ones give the most consistent wifi signal, has upper floors (for better sim signal?) pool (or near one) and allow me to cook.

It seems pubstreet will be very noisy (for work) so will most likely search accommodation a little away from there.

How about serviced apartments? are there enough of them around? I assumed they also have their own backup power? Any of them offering short term accommodations or do most require 6 months to a year?

Any recommendations? personal experiences? thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic