Breaking news: Big YES for Thai referendum on military control..

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Breaking news: Big YES for Thai referendum on military control..

Post by Luigi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:The Thai military authorities have taken further control of the country through a seemingly democratic referendum which gives more power to the junta.
The Thai people have voted YES to the Draft Constitution in the national referendum.

Meaning they have chosen, democratically, for;

1. A military government during a transition period of at least five years to civilian rule. It could be many more than five years, that is now up to the military to decide.

2. A 250-member appointed Senate that includes the commanders of the army, navy, air forces and other security services.

3. A disagreement in the 500-member elected lower house could trigger the appointment of a prime minister who is not an elected member of parliament.

4. All laws and emergency decrees issued by the junta, without any parliamentary consent, will remain valid.

5. Any future civilian government will influenced by the military and controlled by appointed rather than elected officials.

The Election Commissioner, Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, said at 7.30pm local time that with 91 percent of the votes counted, the YES camp received 61.5 percent of the votes, while 38.44 percent voted No in Sunday’s referendum.

He says counting will stop when 95 percent of the votes have been tallied.

He said the turnout was only 55 percent of the 50 million eligible voters.
http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2295 ... tary-rule/
Arrest them for causing surprise. :assasin:
venusianhart
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: Breaking news: Big YES for Thai referendum on military control..

Post by venusianhart »

sigmoid wrote:Electoral democracy is highly over-rated and, with exception of a few small easily managed countries such as Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan and Iceland, typically leads to failed states, for example Turkey, Cambodia, the Philippines, Germany, France, etc. due to instabilty and incompetence.

The most stable members of the AEC are those without elections: Vietnam, Laos and Brunei.

China and Russia are still roiling while the USA with its political circus of clown versus criminal is slipping into an imperial collapse that threatens to bring down all of Western civilization.

As we all know, Thailand is at an extremely crucial juncture and the junta is doing what it can with the available resources to preserve Thainess. They certainly aren't perfect but all we are saying is give a tightly-controlled one-party system a chance.
cptrelentless wrote:
sigmoid wrote:Electoral democracy is highly over-rated and, with exception of a few small easily managed countries such as Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan and Iceland, typically leads to failed states, for example Turkey, Cambodia, the Philippines, Germany, France, etc. due to instabilty and incompetence.
Interesting choices there, Germany and France are failed states? They only have elections every four years or so, so not really unstable. I don't believe anyone has called their elections into question for the last 40 years at least. Surely if you're picking out countries with shitty political systems in Europe you'd pick the PIIGS. Or Belgium, which just went without a government.
Sigmoid, what is 'Thainess' and if the military don't 'preserve' it, what do you think might replace It?
And why?
You have raised some valid points and I think they bear further discussion. Would you care to elaborate on that?

Sent from my D2533 using Tapatalk
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

sigmoid wrote:
Interesting choices there, Germany and France are failed states?
Good point but the assessment is not based on their elections, but is based on their current political situation, unpopular leaders (who were elected), and failed policies, especially in regard to immigration.
Your assessment on the viability of European states is a little subjective.
2013 map of so-called failed/fragile states:

Have a look at Thailand on the 2016 "Fragile states index." It is not doing well. Stuck down there between Georgia and Bolivia. Meanwhile, your failed states of Germany and France are ranked 14 and 21 on the not-too-failed list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ite_note-4

I am not persuaded that military dictatorships are the key to successful statehood. Do you have any examples in mind ?
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

PIIGS = Portugal Italy Ireland Greece Spain

Are these countries in dire straits?

The glib assertion is nonsensical, just as nonsensical as making a big noisy fuss about BRIC = Brazil Russia India China
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Sigmoid, what is 'Thainess' and if the military don't 'preserve' it, what do you think might replace It?
And why?
You have raised some valid points and I think they bear further discussion. Would you care to elaborate on that?
Good question. In this case, it can be said that "Thainess" refers to the unity and sovereignty of the Kingdom of Thailand.
Your assessment on the viability of European states is a little subjective.
Yes, I realise that it is "going out on a limb" a bit to call France and Germany "failed states", but in today's rapidly changing world any data that is available is almost immediately out-of-date. As the situation is ongoing and in flux, let's see how there doing by the end of this year.
I am not persuaded that military dictatorships are the key to successful statehood. Do you have any examples in mind?
I concur fully. A dictatorship is certainly the road to disaster. However, a one-party system such as that in Vietnam seems to have its advantages. Currently, VN enjoys:

1) a stable government
2) a growing economy and development
3) a low cost of living
4) a relatively low level of discontent

There are still problems, of course, but you can see how it eliminates the false dichotomy of "us and them", (which Richard Wright wrote a nice song about) and encourages people to work together for the sake of the country instead of wasting time having elections, campaigning, demonstrating, rioting, bombing and shooting.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Re Us and Them: The music was written by Roger Waters and Richard Wright with lyrics by Waters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_and_Them_(song)
venusianhart
Expatriate

Post by venusianhart »

Sigmoid, I'd agree with that description of Thai unity and sovereignty.
Both concepts of course, rest upon the viability of the supreme institution, I wont comment further on that. Suffice to say it being mentioned at all, points to the biggest headache the junta are likely to have.
Every twist and turn going forward will be a direct consequence of preserving it, or creating an acceptable proxy.
We are not likely to see civilian government again in Thailand in our lifetimes, for better or worse.
Democracy as it stands is a costly sideshow. Like the Olympics it needs to get back to its roots to survive.
Strongmen are universally feared and reviled.
Some retain brutal sway because democratic countries interests are best served by these regimes. It has nothing to do with human rights. Smoke and mirrors as much as bread and circuses.
It's interesting to note how many nations just flounder in chaos for decades after strongmen are removed.
Forget Iraq and Lybia. Just look at the Philippines now.
The Thai junta need to ensure their efforts to sustain a succession narrative -that the people can accept- don't spectacularly backfire by being overzealous in its defence.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk
Last edited by venusianhart on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
venusianhart
Expatriate

Post by venusianhart »

To depart from the Thai focus of the thread for a moment. The biggest challenge most 'developing' or 'non democratic' countries face, is not the system of governance per sé, it is the kleptocratic activity these regimes engage in.
The only authoritarian state that seems to have succeeded (so far) is Singapore.
What the world has yet to witness, is a dictatorship that runs like Switzerland.
Had the Nazis been a little more tolerant and inclusive, plus a lot less belligerent, they might have pulled it off!
The state that ever manages to create a benign, authoritarian, socially equitable, otherwise meritocratic, and clean system of government, may well provide a new global socio-political blueprint for the next several millennia.
But I think that's likely to remain a science fiction synopsys in my own head.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by obelisks »

The most stable members of the AEC are those without elections: Vietnam, Laos and Brunei.

China and Russia are still roiling while the USA with its political circus of clown versus criminal is slipping into an imperial collapse that threatens to bring down all of Western civilization.

As we all know, Thailand is at an extremely crucial juncture and the junta is doing what it can with the available resources to preserve Thainess. They certainly aren't perfect but all we are saying is give a tightly-controlled one-party system a chance.
your post reminded me very much of this quote :facepalm:

" Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. "
Benito Mussolini
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

obelisks wrote:
sigmoid wrote:Electoral democracy is highly over-rated
your post reminded me very much of this quote :facepalm:

" Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. "
Benito Mussolini
Ops maybe I got it wrong! Benito Mussolini (deceased) :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic