US-Cambodia SCAM with Fake Accident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
leawebster
Tourist

US-Cambodia SCAM with Fake Accident

Post by leawebster »

I have been notified this morning (4-Aug) that my future husband was in a bad car crash and is in the hospital in Phnom Penh. The message came from his interpreter, Phay Vannak. The injured person is Doug Webster of San Francisco, California there for work. The accident was caused by a drunk driver who was killed in the crash on August 3rd (I think). How can I get more information??? I am in South Carolina feeling helpless. I have not been told the name of the hospital or the area where the crash happened. Doug only arrived in Phnom Penh on Monday, the 1st, so I have almost no information.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Car crash 3-Aug? US Citizen in critical condition?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hello Lea, I suggest you contact the US Embassy in Phnom Penh immediately. There is an after hours phone number here. Good luck.

Emergency Contact Information.
American Citizens should call the Embassy as soon as practical in the event of an arrest, death, hospitalization, or other emergency involving a U.S. citizen. In an emergency, Embassy personnel can assist in talking with medical personnel, police, or other officials on behalf of the U.S. citizen and his or her family.

For emergencies during regular office hours (8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday thru Friday) please call +855 23-728-402 / +855 23-728-051 / +855 23-728-234.

In the event of an emergency after hours, please call +855 23-728000. Press 1 and then 0 to be transferred to the operator.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Good to know. Hope we never need. Thank you CEO news.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sorry to hear about your fiance. Call the US embassy. Do you know the name of the company he is working for in Phnom Penh? Maybe the interpreter could could find out which hospital Doug is in. First thing is to make sure he's being taken care of.
I guess CEOCambodia News could look through the Khmer news feeds to see if there's been any news about the accident ?
Hope it all works out. AM
leawebster
Tourist

Post by leawebster »

Thank you for your kind attention. It appears that none of the story was true. It was all part of an elaborate scam. I here was no wreck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

leawebster wrote:Thank you for your kind attention. It appears that none of the story was true. It was all part of an elaborate scam. I here was no wreck.
Hi Lea. That's good news anyway.
It would be helpful if you could give us a quick rundown on the scam which might affect other expats in Cambodia and their families, so people can be forewarned and will not worried to death like you were. Without getting too personal, if you could tell us how you were contacted, what they said etc, that would be great. Thanks. AM
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

So this Phay Vannak is a chancing scamming cunt?
Would be very good to hear more of how this scam works.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

didnt i saw somewhere before that this involves messages on FB? or was it deleted?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

epidemiks wrote:So this Phay Vannak is a chancing scamming cunt?
Would be very good to hear more of how this scam works.
Agreed and it would be even better if the OP pursued this further with the competent authorities. If this is how it went down, then Mr. Vannak needs a good, sharp rap on is knuckles.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:mob: :mob: :mob: :mob: :mob:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic