Elephants and Royal Enfields (Thailand)

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Elephants and Royal Enfields (Thailand)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Golden Triangle by sidecar
By TTR WEEKLY -
December 4, 2019
CHIANG RAI, 4 December 2019: Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort in Chiang Rai is rolling out two Royal Enfield Classic 500 sidecars as a new transport option for guests.

Anantara Golden Triangle correctly asserts it’s the only resort in Thailand that can muster two Royal Enfields sidecars a brand that has enjoyed a colourful history since its founding in the early 1900s.

First produced in 1901, Royal Enfield is the oldest motorcycle brand in the world still in production* and still sports a traditional design built around a reliable workhorse used by the British Army and colonial forces during two World Wars.

The two sidecars are used for guests to commuter around the attractions of Anantara Golden Triangle, a property that covers 650,000 square metres of hills and dales and is also home to an elephant rehabilitation programme.

The resort overlooks the Mekong and Ruak Rivers at the confluence of Thailand, Laos and Myanmar.
https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2019/12/ ... y-sidecar/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Elephants and Royal Enfields (Thailand)

Post by AndyKK »

I think that is great news and a good idea for some holiday explorers to take advantage of this type of experience.
The article talks of the use of bike and surroundings-and the possible average of 4 hours for one round trip, that relates to a hire cost of @$400
The two sidecars are used for guests to commuter around the attractions of Anantara Golden Triangle, a property that covers 650,000 square metres of hills and dales and is also home to an elephant rehabilitation programme.

The article also talks briefly of its history of the Royal Enfield Motorcycle and its colourful history, since its founding in the early 1900s -
First produced in 1901, Royal Enfield is the oldest motorcycle brand in the world still in production* and still sports a traditional design built around a reliable workhorse used by the British Army and colonial forces during two World Wars.
Enfield of India continued producing the 'Bullet', and began branding its motorcycles 'Royal Enfield' in 1999. A lawsuit over the use of 'Royal', brought by trademark owner David Holder, was judged in favour of Enfield of India, who now produce motorcycles under the Royal Enfield name.
The models produced and marketed in India include Cafe Racers, Cruisers, Retros and Adventure Tourers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Enfield

I would add that in years past the developers and manufactures, have certainly had what you could say, a colourful and checked history, but now the outcome is good, the bike lives on.

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/customworld/

It has to be said the Royal Enfield is not to the taste of every biker, and I would add this to its demise in at its time in England.
The Enfield like most British designed and built motorcycles with their common engine oil leaks were good when they were running. Many of my old friends had old British bikes, Enfield, Norton, BSAs my father had a model S7 Sunbeam and Sidecar, a British motorcycle designed by Erling Poppe based on the BMW R75. What was more of an impact, and to be the downfall of the British motorcycle industry, was to be the imports of motorcycles from the Japan market, and their general reliability or a modern motorcycle of today. One of my old friends is a collector of sorts of old British motorcycles, he too likes to work on them, keeping their running condition, he was one to tell me once don't buy a British motorcycle. I had at the time a Kawasaki KR1 250cc it was a hybrid model of 1989 with many KR!S parts also. We were out on one of those Sunday mad runs, he on his Norton 750 Commando café racer, but no matter how he tried he would not leave the light and nimble Kawasaki, on the twisty country road the Kawasaki would be dominant with no worry of ground clearance on lean angle, response was quick with the KIPS electronic fuel injectors, too much too soon with the right hand would see how light and responsive the bike was by lifting the front end exiting corners, also against the 750cc sport bikes of the same period it would be a fair challenge, on the straights it would pack a punch of just a tad over 140mph, the real pocket rocket of its day. Sorry for drifting off subject a little, thinking back to one of my past favourite bikes, and I have had so many I tend to lose count on some makes and models.

Back to the Chai, and India, motorcycle manufactures and adventure to some. It was one of the many times I spent in the region of Himachal Pradesh and the lush mountains. I was based in Old Manali at the time, joint renting a farm house with a Japanese guy, the place was high on the hillside and only assessable by foot, 2 hours walk to market for supplies, and longer time to get back, not worth forgetting something off the shopping list.
I enjoyed the scenery and the exercise was good, the Japanese guy was a mountain biker the place suited his needs. I at the time was killing time, waiting for friends form overseas and my climbing equipment, trekking had to be still sufficient for now. I was with my nephew and we had done lots of treks up to date. We had walked with the traders of goods loaded on Yak over the border into Nepal, rented horses, not a favoured pastime of mine, and I am not too good with control of animals, more so on cliffy mountainsides. We had Camel trekked in Rajasthan toward the sparse populated regions that border Pakistan. Been also in a few wild life parks, such has the Jim Corbett National Park to name a few, we would go on elephant Safari hoping to see a tiger or two, I can say they are very elusive because we being unlucky, did not see.
Periyar national park in Kerala, my journey there was to start by boat across the large lake with otters, playing young and adults hunting along the banks. Petrified trees surrounded by waters of the lake, all nestled in the middle of the cardamom hills. When the boat docks on the other side I was to go on by foot, with my new friend and guide a young Indian lady of about 24 years of age, first stop was a watch tower I had booked for a few nights, we trekked there by a small path with Napier grass towering overhead on both sides, seeing the odd animal tracks and the cutting in between the grass where it passed. I did feel a little insecure at times in this and other environments I had previously visited. I had seen a few leopards on previous treks. I was hoping my guide was experienced. Out of the grass landscape change with trees and hills, open areas, with Elephants grazing in the distance.
The watchtower was sparse, just a raised platform to sleep upon, but it served its purpose in the early evening nine wild dogs chased a small heard of spotted deer (chital) into the open fields beside the bank of the lake, the hunt would end there when the few deer left had water behind and a hungry pack waiting for their move while the sun sets in the background, the natural balance of nature. For a few days I was going to walk in this area.

We were wondering what to do next in our adventure. We decided to rent a pair of 350 bullets and travel from Manali 50km to the Rohtang Pass, located on the eastern Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas. Not yet too sure if it would be ridable this early in the season, but we were heading in the direction trying to gain information on route. Up and up the zigzag road It is an amazing sight and views with many snow-capped mountains, then we came to walls of ice beside us, now we were in the pass, towering ice of 20 feet in places, where cut out to make the road accessible, to the valleys of Lahaul and Spiti. Only once I got stuck, but it was cold and hard to get the rock from the stand and frame that was hampering me in that icy melt water. When the road flattened out there was small tented restaurants (if you like) with deck chairs too be seated upon the snow, it was entertaining sipping a hot cup of Chai and watching Indian holiday makers trying to learn how to ski.

But the end result of the once British Royal Enfield was good, well done to India Keeping memories going.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

watch Itchy boots on you tube a woman from Holland has been through Asia on a RE Himalyan (spelling might be off there) and is now doing Argentina to Alaska on her own......
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Back in the 80's here i owned a 1960 enfield crusader, 250 cc. great bike. Brought it in Bangkok for 40,000 baht
they are the bike of choice in nepal now ( the 500 bullet). goes for under $4,000
can get them here but they are

Bangkok showroom

2017 model
Royal Enfield Thailand Price List
Model Price Down Down payment

Bullet 500 ฿ 179,800 20% 35,960
Classic 500 ฿ 189,800 20% 37,960
Classic Chrome ฿ 198,800 20% 39,760
Continental GT ฿ 219,800 20% 43,960

7% VAT included. Company reserves the right to change prices without prior notice.
This offer is subjected to credit approval of the customers.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Some interesting enfiedls coming out of India, but I think its now powered by a new engine which has little in common with the original enfield other than being single and apparently has serious relability issues. I did have a go on an Indian bullet with the old engine in about 20 years ago. Great fun but weighed as much as a tank and would lose a race against a bicycle :-(
the UK imports were always expensive because the electrics were replaced and some bearings with updated designs. Cannot imagine the thais doing that
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^^So in Thailand the Continental GT price works out converted from Thai baht $7,266.47 compared to the sale price in the states at $5.999 solid colours, $6.249 multi-colours and $6,749 chrome.
If I got the conversion correct on the Lakh in India the 2019 price is $3.827

The new-for-2019 650cc engine from Royal Enfield is the most powerful twin-cylinder the firm has delivered in 50 years. And they’ve strapped it into two very cool, retro-feel models with significant heritage yet a brand new, well, everything. Royal Enfield v2.0 is taking off and having sold 16 x as many bikes last year as it did in 2010, the investment laid out in both India and the UK is paying dividends. This from a firm who sold its first motorbike way back in 1901.

I was to read-
least I can offer an approximate with a belief the UK prices won’t be far away from the American numbers except with a £ instead of a $. That also include a 3-year warranty and free roadside assistance. The Continental GT 650 will be available in dealerships from early 2019.
That price for the UK works out the most expensive at $8,856
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

The Harley dealership in Saigon is also the distributor for Royal Enfield but they didn't have any in the shop when I was there 2 weeks ago. Next time I go I'll ask just to see what the prices are like but I think they will be similar to Thailand if not more.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kahuna wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:17 pm The Harley dealership in Saigon is also the distributor for Royal Enfield but they didn't have any in the shop when I was there 2 weeks ago. Next time I go I'll ask just to see what the prices are like but I think they will be similar to Thailand if not more.
Kahuna apparently there are two dealer shops in Vietnam -
Royal Enfield Exclusive Store, Ho Chi Minh City and ROYAL ENFIELD HANOI, Hanoi
The Continental GT (chrome) price works out converted from the VND at $7,938 over a $1,000 more expensive then Thailand, but still cheaper than the UK.

https://www.royalenfield.com/
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

Thanks Andy. I will go and check the shop out when I go back. I have seen 2 in Saigon but thought they were from the Harley shop but will certainly look at the RE dealership as it would be interesting to compare the prices. Just looking at the cost back in Australia just in case.
I do remember seeing a celebrity chef from Australia did one of his shows in India and as he has a passion for bikes did a tour of the Royal Enfield factory and they showed the work of the bloke who pin stripes the tanks. Nothing special except he does it by hand which I would think is very rare these days on bikes or cars. But there he was with a paint brush just guiding the thin line down both side of this tank and just making it look so bloody easy.
When I was younger (too many years ago) I remember my mates owned BSA's and Triumph's because at the time they were reasonably cheap second hand. It wasn't until later that a few of them went on to own Harley's and larger Japanese bikes.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kahuna wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 pm Thanks Andy. I will go and check the shop out when I go back. I have seen 2 in Saigon but thought they were from the Harley shop but will certainly look at the RE dealership as it would be interesting to compare the prices. Just looking at the cost back in Australia just in case.
I do remember seeing a celebrity chef from Australia did one of his shows in India and as he has a passion for bikes did a tour of the Royal Enfield factory and they showed the work of the bloke who pin stripes the tanks. Nothing special except he does it by hand which I would think is very rare these days on bikes or cars. But there he was with a paint brush just guiding the thin line down both side of this tank and just making it look so bloody easy.
When I was younger (too many years ago) I remember my mates owned BSA's and Triumph's because at the time they were reasonably cheap second hand. It wasn't until later that a few of them went on to own Harley's and larger Japanese bikes.
ROYAL ENFIELD FUEL TANK HAND PAINTING

I remember seeing them doing this too. The English man would have done the same in their day, many motorcycles and cars where hand painted years ago. Their skill would more so perfect over time.

BRUSH PAINTING by Chris Benallick Vintage Motorcycle Club

Long before the advent of cellulose paint and spray painting, we relied on the technique of coach painting with brushes to protect the metal and timber surfaces of locomotives, early motorcars and horse drawn carriages etc.
I have been using this technique in the restoration of my motorcycles for the last 30 years. I first became aware of what could be truly achieved with a brush after talking to an entrant at the VMCC’s annual Saundersfoot run. I believe he had previously worked in the development department at BSA where they took pride in such a finish. His name was Tom Barker and his pre-war 250cc BSA had a totally stunning finish.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_ ... inting.htm

Watch how Royal Enfield tank is hand painted by experts who have been painting it for the past 21 years at Royal Enfield Chennai plant

Now there is this too, skill? Yes I would say so.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic