Philippines reports record numbers of retirement visa applications

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Philippines reports record numbers of retirement visa applications

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am

5 Sep 2019

The visa programme for retirees from overseas is friendlier and less draconian than those in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam, as the qualifications required are far less complicated.

The total was 6,437, a 10 per cent increase over 2017’s figures, with this year’s numbers expected to raise the total still higher. Since 1987, 63,538 visas have been granted to expat retirees looking to create a better and less expensive lifestyle for themselves in a welcoming country. It’s not just elderly incomers who’re benefiting, as the increased overall spend from retirees is boosting revenues in a country still considered as impoverished

The visa programme for retirees from overseas is friendlier and less draconian than those in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam, as the qualifications required are far less complicated. The programme itself is far from new, with the qualifying age a relatively low 35 years.

In 2018, Chinese incomers made up 40 per cent of the total, with South Korean expats accounting for 21 per cent. American retirees totalled just 4.7 per cent, and no-one’s as yet counted the numbers of British expats arriving from Thailand.

Full https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2019090 ... quirements
The idea that seeing the world is going from place to place to look at obvious things is an illusion natural to dull minds.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Philippines reports record numbers of retirement visa applications

Post by tireswang » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm

It is not more fun in the Philippines,...unless you are a Koreano or Chinese. American Expats are looking for another place, and Cambodia was the place I chose. 13 years of duh Sillypines, was more than enough for me.
~
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:04 pm

tireswang wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm
It is not more fun in the Philippines,...unless you are a Koreano or Chinese. American Expats are looking for another place, and Cambodia was the place I chose. 13 years of duh Sillypines, was more than enough for me.
Thanx for the info ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm

tireswang wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm
Out of interest why not? I always found Phil to be a great place to visit and it looked like it would be a nice place to live.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 pm

I thought to get a retirement visa you needed some cash or an income?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:06 am

You do need some $ and "proof" to get a retirement visa in Pi...and even though there may less stringent rules and easier than getting one in Thailand, it is not a picnic obtaining a resident visa in Pi....and it is Not more fun in Pi...and I do Not recommend Pi. as an Alternative to Thailand.
~
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic