KLIA2 Container Capsules for Stopovers.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

KLIA2 Container Capsules for Stopovers.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

With a 12 hour stopover in KL I had no desire for a trip into the city, filling that much time with shopping/booze/food while waiting in the airport, or paying for a hotel, so I thought I'd try a container capsule on level 1 KLAI2 Gateway. At $25ish for 12 hours (3 and 6 hour booking periods are available) you get an a/c capsule with pull down curtain for privacy, a/c, good wifi,power socket, wall phone for wake up call, onsite lockers, the use of clean showers/toilets and a choice of books to read. You're also given a small carry back with towel, toothpaste and brush, and a bottle of water. The mattress, duvet/doona/comforter/quilt and pillows are good and comfortable.

My capsule is buried deep among a confusing labyrinth of literally hundreds of other steel cans, and with the exposed pipes, stainless steel and concrete, the overall ambience of the place gives me the feeling of being on some futuristic industrial sci-fi movie set where the odd release of steam or gas from said exposed pipes wouldn't seem entirely out of place.

Newbie tip! When checking in, ask for a capsule away from the ablution area as I noticed there's a bit of noise that emanates from them, particularly the industrial strength hairdriers. There's a $10 deposit for your security/entry card, bag of towels/toiletries and locker key.

Plenty of books if you feel like a read. I've seen a few cute girls hanging out in this area. (creepy old man alert)
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: KLIA2 Container Capsules for Stopovers.

Post by cptrelentless »

This is the Air Asia one, right?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

.Quote,, I've seen a few cute girls hanging out in this area.

Do you pay for the capsule or by the number of persons in the capsule.,?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

cptrelentless wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 pm This is the Air Asia one, right?
Yes, KLIA2 (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) is Air Asia's main hub. I'm unsure whether they own the The Capsule Hotel (container capsules above), but I don't think so. Tony Fernandes' (Air Asia founder and CEO) private investment company does own Tune Hotels, however. One of these stands at the entrance to the airport.
Duncan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 pm .Quote,, I've seen a few cute girls hanging out in this area.

Do you pay for the capsule or by the number of persons in the capsule.,?
It would be a tight squeeze getting two people into one of these, even if one is a skinny Asian chick, as the mattresses aren't very wide. There are doubles and kings available at higher prices. I don't imagine two people are allowed into a single.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly this place is actually pretty noisy. Alright to have a shower then lay down and surf the net or read maybe for a few hours before a flight, but probably not that good for a sleep.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The other shit thing is that there's no bar in this entire cocking airport
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:38 pm Perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly this place is actually pretty noisy. Alright to have a shower then lay down and surf the net or read maybe for a few hours before a flight, but probably not that good for a sleep.
Little more and you could have bought access to lounge and you could have got all that + free booze and food.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:38 pm Perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly this place is actually pretty noisy. Alright to have a shower then lay down and surf the net or read maybe for a few hours before a flight, but probably not that good for a sleep.
Little more and you could have bought access to lounge and you could have got all that + free booze and food.
You're probably right, but I like trying new things, and, well, I guess now I've experienced the place and given it a little bit of a review here, people can make comparisons.
cptrelentless wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:52 pm The other shit thing is that there's no bar in this entire cocking airport
That's not actually correct. The image below is of a bar on your left as you walk toward International Gates P & Q.

shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Cool post.

There are however cheap hostels not too far from the airport if I remember correctly. With good reviews on booking.com
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 pm
You're probably right, but I like trying new things, and, well, I guess now I've experienced the place and given it a little bit of a review here, people can make comparisons.
I appreciate that you made the thread. I have been planning to stay there few times on long layover but still haven't tried it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic