Hanoi

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Hanoi

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

hanno wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 am
hanno wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 am My favorite restaurant at the moment is T-Art. Vietnamese lady that used to work at Sofitel and does amazing Vietnamese food. Also try a Pho Thin, the best one is on 13 Lo Duc. 4P's Pizzas are great but book in advance. Visit the museum of Ethnology.
I would add the Temple of Literature
Sure, but I read it as the OP wanting recommendations away from the usual tourist haunts.

Further suggestions: Women's museum, Police museum, Security museum. All little visited.

Take note that walking street and the Hoan Kiem area being closed off on weekends have all been suspended due to Corona. I should think football matches will follow suit.
Fair enough, go to West Lake district, rent a bike and go around the lake about 15km, Tran Quoc Pagoda, Quan Thanh Temple, Summit Lounge at the Pan Pacific Hotel has a great view of the lake and sunset is very nice, finish the night off at the Quang Ba Flower Market. This night market on the edge of West Lake starts up around 2 a.m. If you really want to go where no one else goes, use trip advisor and search the 2700 things to do in reverse order. Neither the Temple of Literature nor the Museum of Ethnology was busy when I was there over New Years, both are worth the time even if others have experienced them. West Lake is about a 1/2 hour taxi ride from the old towne
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I was at the Museum of Ethnology yesterday, first visit after 10 years, and it was pretty busy. I do not like to go to the Temple of Literature these days, too many pick-pockets and too much harassment. But I do agree, it is a must. I also like to go to the Old Citadel, and do like the flower market. Getting to Westlake is easier, and faster, now since they finished construction on Yen Phu Street. The flower garden on Red Island is great for a visit in spring; lots of eye candy taking selfies ;-)
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Nice one for the suggestions, honestly even the popular stuff is welcome to be suggested here as I've never been and I trust the opinions of CEO over other random forums/blogs etc (I've got somewhat of an idea about how it works around here and whos who lol), nice to have things all in one place where a discussion is following suit.

I'll deffo give an update Cowshed, I might even still be knocking about there, obviously going to keep my eyes on this virus leading up the flight, if the world is getting lockoff then I might just stay at home and cry.

Looking forward to the 5000vnd beer I've been hearing about
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Another suggestion is "Hanoi Free Tours", it is university students that want to practice their English. We have done that three times, 3 very nice girls and full of suggestions. I was with my wife so perhaps did not take full advantage .... but it cuts through a lot of BS when you have someone that knows the language and the city. Of course, we paid for their meals and tipped them $10 for the day but it was money well spent. They all took us to places we would never have found or known about and it's always nice to have a local. You can ask for specific venues or leave it up to them.
http://hanoifreetourguides.com/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:44 pm Another suggestion is "Hanoi Free Tours", it is university students that want to practice their English. We have done that three times, 3 very nice girls and full of suggestions. I was with my wife so perhaps did not take full advantage .... but it cuts through a lot of BS when you have someone that knows the language and the city. Of course, we paid for their meals and tipped them $10 for the day but it was money well spent. They all took us to places we would never have found or known about and it's always nice to have a local. You can ask for specific venues or leave it up to them.
http://hanoifreetourguides.com/
Also:
https://hanoifreelocaltours.com/is-hano ... -visiting/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Loving all the suggestions, keep em coming!
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Bringing in vitamins etc,

Need to bring some stuff with me, will it be an issue? Just a few different things in their original bottles (iron, multi vit, vit d, cod liver oil)

Possible to get cheap out there if not?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 pm Bringing in vitamins etc,

Need to bring some stuff with me, will it be an issue? Just a few different things in their original bottles (iron, multi vit, vit d, cod liver oil)

Possible to get cheap out there if not?
Should not be a problem. I have seen supplements on sale in Vietnam but as I do not use them, I believe in a good diet instead, I have no idea about prices.

Serious question: why take Vitamin D in a country with shit-loads of sun?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Take a jacket, its cold as a mofo up there.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:31 am Take a jacket, its cold as a mofo up there.
23 degrees forecast today. That's centigrade, not Fahrenheit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic