Anyone been to the festival? Any information would be appreciated. I'm thinking of flying into Sydney and taking the train up there, anyone done this? Accommodations in Sydney? I heard that in OZ some of the pubs have rooms, this would be my choice. Closest airport to Byron Bay and ground transport?
Touristy type stuff around Byron Bay or Sydney? Any beer brewerys in Sidney have tours (I home brew beer.) Any war, aircraft, military museums in Sydney (military buff.) Although a lot of my friends here are from OZ, none have been to the Blues festival in Byron Bay. (most wouldn't get past the brewery tour
Anyone done motorcycle rental in OZ? A motorcycle roadtrip would be kind of fun. OZ gov. honor Cambo and US drivers licenses?
This will be my first time in OZ and its a check off on my Bucket List.
A couple of suggestions:
1) You're going to find it hard to get "good" accommodation (whatever that means). Byron Bay has become pretty trendy and touristy, and so alot of the apartments/hotels/motels are pretty pricey. You could think about the backpackers (there are several) - or even try airbnb.com - but coz it is peak time, unlikely to be in the range you specify. One option is to hire a combi, or a car with some camp gear, and camp at the farm where the fest is held. There are facilities (showers etc - but no power), you can get 5day, 3day and single day camp passes - still not cheap, but not bad.
2) There are some good breweries around Byron Bay - check our Stone and Wood (great place!) and the Byron Bay Brewery (m.byronbaybrewery.com.au).
3) And this might tie in with camping - you can fly to Ballina which is about a 30min drive from Byron Bay. There are car hire places - all the major ones, as well as campervans, and budget places as well.
4) Things to do:
- chill - although as pretty touristy and packed, not so easy to do with the crowd. The beach is long, so can always find a quiet spot.
- heaps of eateries, and drink spots around the town
- hire a surfboard, or get surf lessons - around $60 for a 2hr lesson
- go diving - both snorkel and tank spots are around and almost like the Great Barrier Reef in spots
- go for a tandem skydive over the bay......
- there a numerous trails and walks if that is your thing
- visit Nimbin and partake of their local produce
5) You can hire a car/motorbike using your US license. I think the Cambo one won't float very well........
If I think of anything else, will get back to you later.........
I'm probably going to do three days then Sydney by train then I hear there is a big war museum in Canberra. Any suggestions on places to stay in central Sydney, Pubs, Pubs with rooms? Anyone been to the museum in Canberra?
A couple of suggestions - Outrigger - great location, but likely to already be booked out
Beaches of Byron - a little bit further out from the centre, but not too far.
The actual fest is not in Byron but about 10 - 15 kms out - and is actually closer to Ballina - place called Tyagarah Tea Tree Farm - but there are plenty of shuttle buses from byron daily (and also from Ballina). The accomm at Ballina is cheaper - but can't help with suggestions here as never stayed there....
As for the other stuff - not from Sydney or Canberra, so can't help......
- Posts: 553
- Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 9:04 pm
- Reputation: 1
- Location: Phnom Penh
- Sir Duncan
- Posts: 8150
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
- Reputation: 2348
- Location: Wonder Why Central
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.