Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by newkidontheblock »

NHK just reported about the cases of coronavirus in Thailand. The non-serious cases were allowed to recuperate in Thailand, the serious cases were immediately flown back to Wuhan. (Presumably before the flight ban? Or charter plane?)

Stay safe everyone.

And Happy Chinese New Year.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 am NHK just reported about the cases of coronavirus in Thailand. The non-serious cases were allowed to recuperate in Thailand, the serious cases were immediately flown back to Wuhan. (Presumably before the flight ban? Or charter plane?)

Stay safe everyone.

That does not sound right. No-one would put a serious case back on a plane , presumably full of people
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

French cases show coronavirus has reached Europe
Three cases have been discovered, two of them from the same family
24 January 2020
France has identified three cases of the deadly new coronavirus from China, the first cases in Europe.

Two of the cases were announced by the health minister, Agnès Buzyn, on Friday evening. She said that both of those affected had travelled to China.

The third case was announced a few hours after the press conference. Two of the three infected people belong to the same family, authorities said.

The minister said she believes that one reason why France is the first European country to have confirmed cases is that it has developed a test allowing medics to rapidly diagnose those affected. “You have to treat an epidemic as you would a fire, that’s to say find the source very quickly,” she said. “We identified the first positive cases very quickly.”

One of the patients, a 48-year-old man, passed through Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the outbreak, before travelling to France on Wednesday, the minister said. He is in hospital in the south-western city of Bordeaux. “He’s been put in an insulated room so as to avoid any contact with the outside world. He’s fine,” she said.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... hed-europe
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I'm concerned for sure. If it's in France by now, I'm sure it has made its way here and either officials are being hush-hush or diagnoses is slow. I have students that travel to China somewhat often and I'm not sure if an antibacterial disinfectant will kill it. For those that use it, recent studies show that antibacterial hand lotions (disinfectants) are only 99% effective if you drench your hands with it. Do not use it sparingly.
Duncan wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 am The non-serious cases were allowed to recuperate in Thailand, the serious cases were immediately flown back to Wuhan. (Presumably before the flight ban? Or charter plane?)

Stay safe everyone.

That does not sound right. No-one would put a serious case back on a plane , presumably full of people
I'm sure you've heard of a medevac before. And he mentioned a chartered plane which is private.
Still here, in country...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Coronavirus cases in China soar to almost 1,300

Health authorities in China say the death toll from a deadly new coronavirus has risen to 41, with hundreds of additional cases of infection taking the number of people affected throughout the country to almost 1,300.
The National Health Commission said 237 patients are in serious condition.
Authorities have imposed travel restrictions on several cities in a bid to contain the virus, which causes pneumonia and, in some cases, death.
The outbreak began in Wuhan, Hubei Province, late last year. Since then, the health commission says it has spread to 29 provinces and cities, covering most of the country.
On Friday, another 15 people died in Hubei Province.
China's week-long Lunar New Year holidays started on Friday, heightening fears that the spread of the virus could accelerate as hundreds of millions of people travel to see family members and friends.
Authorities responded to the threat by placing several cities into lockdown, and shutting popular sightseeing spots and entertainment attractions. Shanghai Disney Resort and Beijing's Palace Museum are both temporarily closed.

ttps://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200125_14/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

My Wuhan friend just send me the following message

“I am now at my hometown, 14 cities in hubei are all sealed up,from province to city to county to town to village,officials notice:no movement,just stay home; positive and negative news are spreading on Internet,extremely lack of medical capacity and medical guarding material in wuhan,more and more confirmed and suspicious patients, assistance from other province and national military, and the leader of wuhan city and hubei province has been suspended for their misconduct in this disaster, the disease already come to it high tide, we think we still need at least 15days to get initial control”

Really sad
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've been watching / listening to a lot of British media coverage over this outbreak, and many experts over there are saying that most people who contract it will simply put it down to a very bad cold or influenza, as the symptoms are very similar (in fact it is just a different strain of the same virus) and will similarly recover from it in the same way.

The ones at risk will be, as it is with ordinary influenza, the elderly, the very young and those already with health problems that means their body can't cope with the infection. Apparently, all of the reported deaths so far fall into those categories. They are also saying that unless you change them every 20 minutes, those masks that they love to wear over on this side of the planet won't do much to prevent your exposure to it.

An conspiratorial attempt to calm to masses or is there some truth to it? Who knows.

But it's fair to say that the media and the WHO seem to love these apocalyptic stories and have been trying to scare us with them every few years, yet almost all of us, up until now, seem to have got through them unscathed.

I think I'll play the 'wait and see' game before I start emptying the shelves of baked beans and stocking up on the 20l barrels of fresh water.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 pm I've been watching / listening to a lot of British media coverage over this outbreak, and many experts over there are saying that most people who contract it will simply put it down to a very bad cold or influenza, as the symptoms are very similar (in fact it is just a different strain of the same virus) and will similarly recover from it in the same way.

The ones at risk will be, as it is with ordinary influenza, the elderly, the very young and those already with health problems that means their body can't cope with the infection. Apparently, all of the reported deaths so far fall into those categories. They are also saying that unless you change them every 20 minutes, those masks that they love to wear over on this side of the planet won't do much to prevent your exposure to it.

An conspiratorial attempt to calm to masses or is there some truth to it? Who knows.

But it's fair to say that the media and the WHO seem to love these apocalyptic stories and have been trying to scare us with them every few years, yet almost all of us, up until now, seem to have got through them unscathed.

I think I'll play the 'wait and see' game before I start emptying the shelves of baked beans and stocking up on the 20l barrels of fresh water.
I'm checking the UK media too, at least the have to at least substantiate any claims they make (to a degree) so can't get all doom and gloom. I can't say I'm overly concerned, flu get the weak and always has done.

Spanish flu was a bit different as it also killed young healthy adults in as little as three days, but since then nothing has ever come close to that mortality rate or virulence.

My advice is to stay away from Chinese restaurants and consume plenty of alcohol as that kills bacteria. Not sure if it kills viruses too, but it might. That's all I got.

As you may of gathered by now, Doc67 is not a real doctor, so don't trust me FFS!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

yong wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:31 pm My Wuhan friend just send me the following message

“I am now at my hometown, 14 cities in hubei are all sealed up,from province to city to county to town to village,officials notice:no movement,just stay home; positive and negative news are spreading on Internet,extremely lack of medical capacity and medical guarding material in wuhan,more and more confirmed and suspicious patients, assistance from other province and national military, and the leader of wuhan city and hubei province has been suspended for their misconduct in this disaster, the disease already come to it high tide, we think we still need at least 15days to get initial control”

Really sad
Thanks. Please keep us updated if you have further news from Wuhan.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

From the BBC

The death toll from a newly-discovered coronavirus in China has risen to 41 on the day of the Lunar New Year.

Another 15 deaths in the Hubei province, where the outbreak began, were announced on Saturday.

Health officials are struggling to contain the outbreak as millions of people travel for the new year festival, one of the most important dates in its calendar.

There are now more than 1,200 confirmed cases in China.

The virus has also now spread to Europe, with three cases confirmed in France. The UK is investigating a number of suspected cases, while officials there are trying to trace around 2,000 people who have recently flown to the UK from Hubei province.

Australia has also confirmed its first case, joining a handful of countries treating patients.

I'm not taking any chances so will be drinking more so the losy virus dies from alcoholic poisiningThe death toll from a newly-discovered coronavirus in China has risen to 41 on the day of the Lunar New Year.

Another 15 deaths in the Hubei province, where the outbreak began, were announced on Saturday.

Health officials are struggling to contain the outbreak as millions of people travel for the new year festival, one of the most important dates in its calendar.

There are now more than 1,200 confirmed cases in China.

The virus has also now spread to Europe, with three cases confirmed in France. The UK is investigating a number of suspected cases, while officials there are trying to trace around 2,000 people who have recently flown to the UK from Hubei province.

Australia has also confirmed its first case, joining a handful of countries treating patients.

I'm not taking any chances. Beer rations must be doubled so the lousy virus dies of alcohol poisoning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic