Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11113
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2396
Tokelau

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Anchor Moy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:30 pm

From https://www.theguardian.com/science/liv ... ve-updates
Germany confirms first human transmission of coronavirus in Europe

A German man who tested positive for the strain of coronavirus sweeping across China was infected by a work colleague, officials said on Tuesday, in what is believed to be the first human transmission in Europe, AFP reports.

The man had not visited China but a Chinese work colleague who was in Germany last week had started to feel sick on the flight home on 23 January, said Andreas Zapf, the head of the Bavarian state office for health and food safety.

He had attended a training session given by his Chinese colleague on 21 January at the office of a car parts supplier Webasto in Stockdorf in Bavaria and tested positive for the virus on Monday evening. Unlike the other patients, the 33-year-old had not recently travelled to China.

He remains in hospital in an isolation ward, but Zapf said he “was doing well”.

The Chinese woman immediately sought medical attention on her return to China and was confirmed to have caught the virus, which has spread rapidly in recent weeks after first emerging in the city of Wuhan.

The woman had recently returned from visiting her parents in the Wuhan region, Zapf said.

In a statement, the Webasto company said it had halted all business travel to and from China “for at least the next two weeks”.

Health officials are checking 40 people that the two infected workers have been in contact with recently, including colleagues and family members.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11679
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2950
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by phuketrichard » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:09 pm

107 dead; 4,474 confirmed cases,( 4, 409 in China)
still only deaths in China.
Last Update: Jan 27, 2020 8:30 pm EST.
bookmark and follow it here
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Mishmash » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Well Well ... The Chinese Coronavirus Carrier into Cambodia guy did arrive from Wuhan after the supposed lockdown.

Bizarre....

Wonder who his fellow passengers were!!!

Image
Last edited by Mishmash on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate
Posts: 3538
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Reputation: 727

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm

Mishmash wrote:Image
This needs repositing as it's quite hilarious.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
User avatar
Soriya
Expatriate
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:57 pm
Reputation: 197
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Soriya » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:23 pm

Mishmash wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm
Well Well ... The Chinese Coronavirus Carrier into Cambodia guy did arrive from Wuhan after the supposed lockdown.

Bizarre....

Wonder who his fellow passengers were!!!

Image
I think you will find the lockdown was later that day.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11679
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2950
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by phuketrichard » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 pm

fyi

Should you wear a mask?

There are a lot of conflicting views on whether wearing a face mask offers any help in reducing the risk of infection from coronavirus.
According to some experts, wearing a mask out in public may actually make the situation worse.

It is also important to determine what type of mask you are wearing. The disposable surgical face masks, like the type worn by surgeons, are meant to be only worn once and disposed of properly.

"Sometimes it can actually present some risks, as you're putting your fingers up and down on your face, removing your mask, putting them next to your eyes," said Canada's chief public health officer Dr Theresa Tam earlier this week.
The N95 masks may offer some greater protection, but are by no means fail safe and may even restrict breathing.
Wearing a facemask actually isn’t part of the official advice on coronavirus from Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health.

Image
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Mishmash » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 pm
fyi

Should you wear a mask?

There are a lot of conflicting views on whether wearing a face mask offers any help in reducing the risk of infection from coronavirus.
According to some experts, wearing a mask out in public may actually make the situation worse.

It is also important to determine what type of mask you are wearing. The disposable surgical face masks, like the type worn by surgeons, are meant to be only worn once and disposed of properly.

"Sometimes it can actually present some risks, as you're putting your fingers up and down on your face, removing your mask, putting them next to your eyes," said Canada's chief public health officer Dr Theresa Tam earlier this week.
The N95 masks may offer some greater protection, but are by no means fail safe and may even restrict breathing.
Wearing a facemask actually isn’t part of the official advice on coronavirus from Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health.
Image
There are no studies yet published as to the method of transmission, so no-one can effectively state wearing a mask doesn't help.

However the symptoms show it attacks the lungs, so it would be prudent to assume it's entering the airways or eye mucous.

The WHO is slow and has lost credibility in my eyes.

The CDC says the risk is low, but the threat is severe.

Anyway - here is Cambodia getting down to it.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 632
Kiribati

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Phnom Poon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:11 pm

Clemen wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm
Many outlets keep saying "it came from the market", however, "2) The outbreak’s first, or “index,” case also had no connection to the market."
In full. https://www.vox.com/2020/1/27/21082354/ ... -on-lancet
The title of the piece is "Did China downplay the coronavirus outbreak early on?" which possibly ties in to the drastic spike in Reported cases.
exactly right
they did indeed fail to contain it early, but, hindsight
it's touch and go whether containment can work now
as it possibly spreads like a common cold
but personally i don't think it will be nearly as deadly as feared, especially internationally

.

monstra mihi bona!
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 632
Kiribati

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Phnom Poon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 pm

Mishmash wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 pm
Image
the mask issuer has his down, and is pawing the issues?
no thanks

.

monstra mihi bona!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1143
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Mishmash » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Phnom Poon wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:39 pm
Mishmash wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 pm
Image
the mask issuer has his down, and is pawing the issues?
no thanks
Well spotted.. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chad Sexington, IraHayes, John Bingham, ramone, xandreu and 113 guests