Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:19 pm
Reputation: 647
Central African Republic

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Jerry Atrick » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 am
Jerry Atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm
What about SARS??
It was more a scare mongering news trend than an actual epidemic.

Same swine flu

Same whatever this story is also.
??
Basically, there's an epidemic of semi-hysteria, not an epidemic of "coronavirus", which itself is a form of pneumonia.

So far, 3 confirmed deaths from around 160 ish suspected cases.

That's a low kill rate, even lower than pneumonia.

This hysteria usually originates from China into English language media ala SARS, Swine Flu, Avian flu etc. Almost like mass media use some topics to fill pages rather than focus on what may be closer to home for many of their audience bases.

If that's a little hazy, sorry. I got really stoned just over an hour back.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3659
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2164
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Jerry Atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 am
Jerry Atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm
What about SARS??
It was more a scare mongering news trend than an actual epidemic.

Same swine flu

Same whatever this story is also.
??
This hysteria usually originates from China into English language media ala SARS, Swine Flu, Avian flu etc. Almost like mass media use some topics to fill pages rather than focus on what may be closer to home for many of their audience bases.
I know what you are saying JA - and i encourage healthy scepticism myself

The obscure point i was making- (also an hour after i got stoned)
Swine Flu has already wiped out 30%+ of the planets pigs.
We can't afford to be "whatever" about this stuff.

Common sense and all the experts say another major, deadly, pandemic will probably come along soon-ish. The Spanish Flu as it's role model.
We are living like intensively farmed pigs and chickens in China - well similar - just ripe for a morphing virus, and for a rapidly spreading pandemic.

I totally get you on the hype stuff - but that should not decrease our vigilance. Damage can be limited by a good response.

Anyway... I want to die with my bare feet on, not sick in bed, preferably by Tiger attack or something like.
Struck by lightning would be good.
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 229
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by hunter8 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 pm

So far looks like a non-issue, nothing to write home about.
User avatar
Clemen
Expatriate
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 pm
Reputation: 483
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Clemen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:40 pm

hunter8 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 pm
So far looks like a non-issue, nothing to write home about.
Disagree, it's novel and coming at a time when Millions of Chinese will be traveling. The source is, at present, unknown. While currently three cases have been documented as person to person, "
Fifteen medical staff in Wuhan have been infected with the virus" so it appears it is greatly under reported. It's a virus, the nature of the beast is to mutate( as it has already done).
Is it Ebola? no. Does the media love scaremongering? Hello, clicks, plus it takes the focus off Brexit, Impeachment , Hong Kong, and the price of fish.
Prudence dictates careful monitoring.
Keep in mind that things like this may not kill someone, but often change Disability adjusted life years.
Conscience can be a terrible thing. So I hear. Not if you're something like me, of course. I don't give a fuck. Iain M Banks
User avatar
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:29 pm
Reputation: 485
Location: london
India

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by tightenupvolume1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 pm

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:59 am
Jerry Atrick wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm
What about SARS??
It was more a scare mongering news trend than an actual epidemic.

Same swine flu

Same whatever this story is also.
??
This hysteria usually originates from China into English language media ala SARS, Swine Flu, Avian flu etc. Almost like mass media use some topics to fill pages rather than focus on what may be closer to home for many of their audience bases.
I know what you are saying JA - and i encourage healthy scepticism myself

The obscure point i was making- (also an hour after i got stoned)
Swine Flu has already wiped out 30%+ of the planets pigs.
We can't afford to be "whatever" about this stuff.

Common sense and all the experts say another major, deadly, pandemic will probably come along soon-ish. The Spanish Flu as it's role model.
We are living like intensively farmed pigs and chickens in China - well similar - just ripe for a morphing virus, and for a rapidly spreading pandemic.


I totally get you on the hype stuff - but that should not decrease our vigilance. Damage can be limited by a good response.

Anyway... I want to die with my bare feet on, not sick in bed, preferably by Tiger attack or something like.
Struck by lightning would be good.
Let me die a youngman's death
not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a youngman's death
not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death

Roger McGough
Poems by Roger McGough : 6 / 17
DaveG
Expatriate
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 2:45 am
Reputation: 903
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by DaveG » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Nothing to worry about folks, probably have more chance of getting squashed to death by a run away Cambodian beer lorry with no brakes. :shock:
User avatar
Kinetic
Expatriate
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:58 pm
Reputation: 94
France

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Kinetic » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Seriously, is it something you need to take in consideration if you soon plan to go in south-est asia? Today it's 9 deaths, it's always too much and I hope it will not grow exponentially but like said above, it's not so much if you compare to common diseases.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11113
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2396
Tokelau

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:27 pm

^^Agree with above posters that there is some hysteria in the media - particularly social media - but also agree that the figures from China are likely to be under-reported.

Unfortunately, any epidemic in China right now will very possibly spread to Cambodia, given the numbers of Chinese immigrants expected to fly home for New Year and return here. And, as we all know, medical diagnosis and treatment in Cambodia can be 'a bit' hit and miss, so it could be a problem if the virus spreads here.

In conclusion, don't panic - there's not much we can do except wait and see how it plays out. (And then we can panic if necessary. :shock: )
DaveG
Expatriate
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 2:45 am
Reputation: 903
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by DaveG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 pm

Image
Cricket99
Expatriate
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:04 pm
Reputation: 30
Korea North

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Cricket99 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 am

Deaths from China’s new virus rose to 17 on Wednesday with more than 540 cases confirmed, increasing fears of contagion from an infection suspected to originate from illegally-traded wildlife.

The previously unknown and contagious coronavirus strain emerged from the central city of Wuhan, with cases now detected as far away as the United States.

The World Health Organization (WHO) was meeting to rule if the outbreak was a global health emergency.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/china-c ... te-tv.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Daikon, Chad Sexington, IraHayes, John Bingham, Joker Poker, ramone, xandreu and 111 guests