Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big'n
Expatriate
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 am
Reputation: 62
United States of America

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Big'n » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:24 pm

frizzie77 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:17 pm
^^^This what @hunter8 says.
If I could give 100 thumbs up, I would.
Watch the video above and see if you can smell the coffee.
Big'n
Expatriate
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 am
Reputation: 62
United States of America

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Big'n » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:27 pm

hunter8 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:02 pm
Big'n wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 am
hunter8 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:25 am
The death rate and number of cases above is utter bs because most infections are not reported. If they say it is more contagious than flu, millions were infected over past two months in the world and are walking with mild symptoms. It’s an interesting social experiment this virus, showing how logic is not a strong point with so many people.
The main problem is the incubation period which could be as long as 21-24 days. Add to that it is aerosolized and very possibly contagious while the victim is asymptomatic. Fact is that we've got a Pandemic already. Post your comments one month from now. I dare say that your perspective will have changed. What is happening now in Cambodia is going to reveal the true nature of this beast called Covid19.
I am willing to bet any reasonable sum that the death toll will not exceed that registered for a normal flu. One month, three or six months from now, take your pick.

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

That is over 100 deaths per day in the US alone by normal flu starting from October.

So what is all the fuss about? It’s a social experiment. Mark my words, nothing noteworthy will happen in one month or later. I will come back to remind you. More people could die from collapsed economies, possibly riots than from this virus.
How about $500?
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2071
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Ain't we CEO'ers so privileged
I can not for the life of me think of why we deserve it.
We got Big Nog, Fra77le and H-8 to inform us

The rest of the world have only got the best virologists on the planet.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2071
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:19 pm

Big'n wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:03 pm
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/sudden-militarization-wuhans-p4-lab-raises-new-questions-about-origin-deadly-covid-19

Beijing has had four known accidental leaks of the SARS virus in recent years, so there is absolutely no reason to assume that this strain of coronavirus from Wuhan didn’t accidentally leak out as well.
Source ^^ Zero Hedge - alt right conspiracy blog
The 29 April 2017 unmasking article by Bloomberg, quoted former Zero Hedge website staffer Colin Lokey as saying: "I can't be a 24-hour cheerleader for Hezbollah, Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, and Trump anymore. It's wrong. Period.
I know it gets you views now, but it will kill your brand over the long run. This isn't a revolution. It's a joke."

or

"A GOP Senator Keeps Pushing a Thoroughly Debunked Theory that the Wuhan Coronavirus is a Leaked Chinese Biological Weapon Gone Wrong"
- Business Insider

Sen. Tom Cotton keeps airing a long-debunked theory that the deadly coronavirus is a Chinese biological weapon that was leaked from a government lab in Wuhan.
Cotton made the claim again on “Sunday Morning Futures” on Fox News, saying the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory needs looking at.

Scientists at the lab experiment with dangerous pathogens like Ebola, but experts say there’s no evidence the lab either made it as a weapon or allowed it to escape.
Multiple scientists have long debunked the theory that the virus was a bioweapon gone wrong, and are criticising Cotton for spreading a conspiracy theory.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11001
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2335
Tokelau

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Anchor Moy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Some perspective from John Oliver:
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 229
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by hunter8 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 pm
Ain't we CEO'ers so privileged
I can not for the life of me think of why we deserve it.
We got Big Nog, Fra77le and H-8 to inform us

The rest of the world have only got the best virologists on the planet.
Lol, it’s their bread and butter, imagine swelling epidemiological budgets now. Don’t trust people, anyone. Trust math and common sense.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 624
Kiribati

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020

Post by Phnom Poon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:48 pm

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:19 pm
a Thoroughly Debunked Theory
i don't think so
the 'engineered bioweapon' theory is debunked
i still think there's a reasonable chance the lab had the virus, and it was released somehow

there's absolutely no evidence for that
and the theories that claim otherwise have been debunked

but the possibility certainly hasn't been discounted

.

monstra mihi bona!
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 3483
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2071
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:23 pm

I get your point PP ^^
It is possible

But so far, by far the best hard evidence is for animal crossover occurring at the Wuhan wildlife market.
All the rest is just theory - and like you say "no evidence".
Whatsoever.

Conspiracy theories can dangerously misleading in times like this.
But admittedly, i am a "gimmie the evidence" wannabe scientist kinda guy about everything.

And Hunter, i get your point too - about scientists promoting their own agenda,
but my impression is that the overwhelming majority of scientists are absolutely dedicated to finding out the real truth about how things work.
They are pathologically fixated on that approach - much more than on promoting their careers.
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 2303
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 743

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by newkidontheblock » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm

AmericanSteve wrote:So CEO administration is allowing open attacks on China, even to the point of comparing them to Nazis, which always indicates a lack of intelligence, but any defense of China is tamped down.
Comparing the side that liberals disagree with ‘To Nazis’ is a common socialist tactic. Boris Johnson and the whole UK government is compared to Nazis, Donald Trump and the entire US government is compared to Nazis. Yet, the NASD members (the national socialists, aka, the real NAZI party) must be laughing in hell, especially Himmler. Historically NAZIs hated Communists and fought them on the streets of Germany.

Rational defense of the People’s Republic of China is absolutely encouraged on CEO. However state media style, that there is one truth, the Official State truth, and the great firewall will protect all it’s citizens from being brainwashed from the outside world, should be discouraged.

That’s just my opinion.

Locals are fleeing Siem Reap to ‘avoid’ coronavirus.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 624
Kiribati

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by Phnom Poon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm

indeed 'embellishing the truth' (and getting caught out) is pretty much career suicide for scientists

.

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Daikon, John Bingham, Ong Tay, TheImplication and 88 guests