Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:19 am
Reputation: 165
Australia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Isaanbarang »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:57 pm And no mention of China what so ever. Also no mention that the US has reduced its carbon output or that China is planning on commissioning a load more coal fired power stations...... without addressing the China issue it’s all smoke and mirrors. She was selected because of her ae. Any attacks on her are automatically dismissed because of her age... I mean who attacks the character of a child?
Come to think of it there is a reason age restrictions apply to a ton of things kids would like to do... drink, drive, own guns, take newly legalised drugs, run for office!
Her speech was written to take effect of her age.... also her IMDB page lists her as an actress lol.
The free market will find a solution... not big government.
Which leads to the point being raised by some that this is all just a cover for just that.. more governmental control of people’s everyday lives. Bit like that useless ban on plastic straws.... when the bulk of the plastic waste in the oceans comes from a handful of river is Asia and Africa. But yeah.... ban something that the west disposes of sensibly and let’s ignore the mega tsunami of waste coming from those rivers.
So to be frank I am not buying into her crocodile tears until I hear her taking China to task!
IraHayes, if your neighbor stops flushing his toilet and wiping his ass, I would hate to think of what you would do. Got to lovr tRumpers, they are more than proud to cut their nose off to spite their face.
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 274
Vietnam

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by sigmoid »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 pm
sigmoid wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Severn Cullis-Suzuki at Rio Summit 1992 (27 years ago)
How depressing. This kid will be over 30yo now, and nothing has changed. :voilent4:
Actually, the point was that using a child to deliver their message of doom is a tactic they have used for their theater of the absurd in the past. This Greta girl is just a remake. As I mentioned on another thread, all of these major mass media stories are staged in order to manipulate people's emotions, because when people are in an emotional state, they lose the ability to think rationally.

Here's the transcript of Severn's emotionally stirring speech from 1992:
“We are a group of 12 and 13-year-olds trying to make a difference. We’ve raised all the money to come here ourselves, to come 5000 miles to tell you adults you must change your ways.

“Coming up here today I have no hidden agenda. I am fighting for my future. Losing my future is not like losing an election or a few points on the stock market. I am here to speak for all generations to come. I am here to speak on behalf of the starving children around the world whose cries go unheard. I am here to speak for the countless animals dying across this planet because they have nowhere left to go.

“I am afraid to go out in the sun now because of the hole in our ozone. I am afraid to breathe the air because I don’t know what chemicals are in it. I used to go fishing in Vancouver, my home, with my dad, until just a few years ago we found the fish full of cancers. And now we hear of animals and plants going extinct. Every day, vanishing forever.

“In my life, I have dreamt of seeing the great herds of wild animals, jungles and rainforests full of birds and butterflies. But now I wonder if they will even exist for my children to see. Did you have to worry of these things when you were my age? All of this is happening before our eyes and yet we act as if we have all the time we want and all the solutions.

“I’m only a child and I don’t have all the solutions, but I want you to realise neither do you. You don’t know how to fix the holes in our ozone layer, you don’t how to bring the salmon back up a dead stream, you don’t know how to bring back an animal now extinct, and you can’t bring back the forest that once grew where there is now a desert. If you don’t know how to fix it, please stop breaking it.

“Here, you may be delegates of your governments, businesspeople, organisers, reporters or politicians, but really, you’re mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, aunts and uncles, and all of you are someone’s child. I am only a child yet I know we are all part of a family, five billion strong. In fact, 30 million species strong. And borders and governments will never change that.

“I am only a child yet I know we are all in this together and should act as one single world towards one single goal. In my anger, I am not blind, and in my fear I am not afraid of telling the world how I feel. In my country we make so much waste, we buy and throw away, buy and throw away, buy and throw away and yet northern countries will not share with the needy. Even when we have more than enough, we are afraid to let go of some of our wealth.

“In Canada, we live the privileged life with plenty of food, water and shelter. We have watches, bicycles, computers and television sets, the list could go on for two days. Two days ago here in Brazil we were shocked when we spent time with some children living on the streets. This is what one child told us: ‘I wish I was rich. And if I were I would give all the street children food, clothes, medicines, shelter, and love and affection.’ If a child on the streets who has nothing is willing to share, why are we who have everything still so greedy?

“I can’t stop thinking that these are children my own age, that it makes a tremendous difference where you are born, that I could be one of those children living in the favelas of Rio, I could be a child starving in Somalia or a victim of war in the Middle East or a beggar in India. I am only a child yet I know if all the money spent on war was spent on finding environmental answers, ending poverty and finding treaties, what a wonderful place this earth would be.

“At school, even in kindergarten, you teach us how to behave in the world. You teach us not to fight with others, to work things out, to respect others, to clean up our mess, not to hurt other creatures, to share, not be greedy. Then why do you go out and do the things you tell us not to do? Do not forget why you are attending these conferences, who you are doing this for. We are your own children. You are deciding what kind of a world we are growing up in.

“Parents should be able to comfort their children by saying, ‘Everything’s going to be all right, it’s not the end of the world, and we’re doing the best we can’. But I don’t think you can say that to us anymore. Are we even on your list of priorities? My dad always says, ‘You are what you do, not what you say’. Well, what you do makes me cry at night. You grown-ups say you love us, but I challenge you, please, make your actions reflect your words. Thank you.”
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 12734
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 3437
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by phuketrichard »

Image

PR stunt to play on peoples emotions

PS:
Sigmoid, Thanks for the above
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
crob
Expatriate
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:57 pm
Reputation: 143
Australia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by crob »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:48 pm Image

PR stunt to play on peoples emotions

PS:
Sigmoid, Thanks for the above
Jesus Christ, why would you put her on in that shirt... feel sorry for her, shes too young to understand how she is being puppet-ed and all the bull shit shes going receive over the next few years is going to be a lot for a young person to deal with.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11849
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2863
Tokelau

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Anchor Moy »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:38 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 pm
sigmoid wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Severn Cullis-Suzuki at Rio Summit 1992 (27 years ago)
How depressing. This kid will be over 30yo now, and nothing has changed. :voilent4:
Actually, the point was that using a child to deliver their message of doom is a tactic they have used for their theater of the absurd in the past. This Greta girl is just a remake. As I mentioned on another thread, all of these major mass media stories are staged in order to manipulate people's emotions, because when people are in an emotional state, they lose the ability to think rationally.
@ Sigmoid. Two people can see the same thing but get a different message. :hattip:
My point was that it doesn't change a thing. Then as today, everyone gets worked up and acts shocked for a day or two, and then they move on. The deciders don't care either way.

For myself, if anything, I'm pleased to learn from your video that kids giving speeches at international forums is not a new thing. I was worried that Greta was picked to speak this year because the average mental age of world leaders is about 16.

Obviously, we hold different opinions on the causes of global warming and climate change, but that's ok. I do actually agree with you that it's not a good thing to appeal to emotions on the subject, because I think the facts should speak for themselves. If I have a medical problem, I ask a doctor and not a 16yo kid. If I want scientific information then I will look for it from people who are qualified. This is not an emotional reaction.
Anyway, here is a scientific reaction :beer2:
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 12039
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 3597
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Username Taken »

Sir David Attenborough | A message to world leaders
Sep 23, 2019

Watch Sir David Attenborough’s message to World Leaders at WWF’s Leaders for Nature and People event, at the UN Climate Action Summit, part of the 74th UN General Assembly.



----------------------

Sir David Attenborough on life, death, climate change and the future of the planet | Triple J Hack
Sep 24, 2019

Sir David Attenborough has slammed Australian leaders for inaction on climate change in this wide-ranging interview with triple j’s Hack program.
The world’s most renowned natural historian speaks about his life’s work, his least favourite animal, school students striking for climate change action, the future of the planet, and his views on religion and what happens after death.

Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2744
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Sir David ^^, just like every environmental scientist on the planet, understands the extent and rapidity of the degradation of our life support system. They look at the oceans, eg. They look at the global crash in bird populations, eg. and despair.

The science denying religious fanatics and the godless consumerists alike, look at Greta, point their crooked old fingers and snarl.
User avatar
fax
Expatriate
Posts: 2426
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:28 am
Reputation: 1237
Korea North

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by fax »

Sir David Attenborough sounds like a radical antifa weather cuck autist to me. Probably a Zionist too. George Soros payroll fits all kinds of ages.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11849
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2863
Tokelau

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Anchor Moy »

fax wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:18 pm Sir David Attenborough sounds like a radical antifa weather cuck autist to me. Probably a Zionist too. George Soros payroll fits all kinds of ages.
Where is that sarcasm emoji when you need it ? ;)
bong.kuit
Expatriate
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:16 pm
Reputation: 72

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by bong.kuit »

crob wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:05 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:48 pm Image

PR stunt to play on peoples emotions

PS:
Sigmoid, Thanks for the above
Jesus Christ, why would you put her on in that shirt... feel sorry for her, shes too young to understand how she is being puppet-ed and all the bull shit shes going receive over the next few years is going to be a lot for a young person to deal with.
And there was me thinking that every sane person would be anti-fascist. Iirc the Americans are quite fond of celebrating their soldiers who took part in freeing Europe from the fascists. How times have changed...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post