Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 9196
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 4872
Burkina Faso

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:33 am DON'T buy into this denialist crap folks. It's part of the tactic.

Prove the earth was not created 4073 days ago at 3 o'clock in the morning.
I won't take the scientist word for it. I won't read anything or anyone I won't even use google.
I want YOU to convince ME! Prove it!

Don't bother. It's like trying to convince a creationist that gravity exists.

Hun-8, try Google.
Or maybe You, prove the overwhelming opinion of all scientists, of all disciplines, are wrong on this??
You sound like you may have caught autism from vaccines. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
User avatar
Clemen
Expatriate
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 pm
Reputation: 652
Cambodia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Clemen »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 am
Clemen wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:28 am scientists believe
Sounds like religion.
Congratulations on taking a quote out of context. I will just assume you are American ( as I am). Yes, science, based on fact, and religion, based on Mumbo Jumbo, are exactly the same.
My question stands, are you fucking high? I'm not, but maybe I should be. possibly, but doubtfully, I'd understand where you are coming from.
wow, I don't think I've ever self edited a post as much as this one. Suffice to say, there's quite a bit more, and it's a bit scathing.
it’s a bittersweet symphony this life
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 230
Cambodia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by hunter8 »

Clemen wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:44 am
hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 am
Clemen wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:28 am scientists believe
Sounds like religion.
Congratulations on taking a quote out of context. I will just assume you are American ( as I am). Yes, science, based on fact, and religion, based on Mumbo Jumbo, are exactly the same.
My question stands, are you fucking high? I'm not, but maybe I should be. possibly, but doubtfully, I'd understand where you are coming from.
wow, I don't think I've ever self edited a post as much as this one. Suffice to say, there's quite a bit more, and it's a bit scathing.
You just said yourself that you don’t know if there is direct scientific evidence. Which means you believe it’s true because other people said so, not because you were convinced by reason and logic of hard data. So who is high here? I only asked for evidence, but you got insulted because i didn’t join blindly with this march. Very medieval behavior. About time to burn heretics.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2744
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

See folks? Don't waste your time. They try to tie you down with stuff like this.

I believe scientists believed in Turtle gods. (???)
So they must be wrong about everything else.
Huh huh - what about that!!

LLLOLa la land
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 9196
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 4872
Burkina Faso

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am See folks? Don't waste your time. They try to tie you down with stuff like this.

I believe scientists believed in Turtle gods. (???)
So they must be wrong about everything else.
Huh huh - what about that!!

LLLOLa la land
Silence, exile, and cunning.
User avatar
Clemen
Expatriate
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 pm
Reputation: 652
Cambodia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Clemen »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:50 am
Clemen wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:44 am
hunter8 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 am
Clemen wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:28 am scientists believe
Sounds like religion.
Congratulations on taking a quote out of context. I will just assume you are American ( as I am). Yes, science, based on fact, and religion, based on Mumbo Jumbo, are exactly the same.
My question stands, are you fucking high? I'm not, but maybe I should be. possibly, but doubtfully, I'd understand where you are coming from.
wow, I don't think I've ever self edited a post as much as this one. Suffice to say, there's quite a bit more, and it's a bit scathing.
You just said yourself that you don’t know if there is direct scientific evidence. Which means you believe it’s true because other people said so, not because you were convinced by reason and logic of hard data. So who is high here? I only asked for evidence, but you got insulted because i didn’t join blindly with this march. Very medieval behavior. About time to burn heretics.
Again, you pick and choose, and take out of context.
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2 ... e76a901157
https://www.bu.edu/ise/2018/11/13/the-s ... te-change/

Of course there's dissent, https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/10/ ... an-tuttle/
But the National review has its own issues, and unlike you, I don't pick and choose, in the top ten results the national review was the first dissenting opinion.
Captain bonez, it's been a long time, but maybe i should start to get a little mellow
it’s a bittersweet symphony this life
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 230
Cambodia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by hunter8 »

Thanks, i will study it one of these days. I was hoping to get a FAQ on climate change answering all questions in a dumbed-down form to form me an educated opinion.
User avatar
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:31 am
Reputation: 2744
Location: Gilligan's Island
Pitcairn Island

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

All around me, all my life
all i can see are religious nuts

that is the world world where i grew up,
and all around me since then

or maybe it's just the world that i see.

Oh Look - there's a scientist! He too must be one of these....
User avatar
Clemen
Expatriate
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:04 pm
Reputation: 652
Cambodia

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Clemen »

before the industrial revolution started the last largest single climate change event was probably the Chicxulub event when a comet or asteroid hit the earth in Mexico, that was about 66 million years ago. It may have been what wiped out the dinosaurs, this was accepted theory for quite awhile, opinions are somewhat divided now. It is accepted that 75% of plant and animal species disappeared at this time. It set up what's called the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary, the dust storm, and resulting diminished sunlight lowered temperatures across the globe, killing animals and plants in what(previously) was for the earth a comparatively warm period.
The industrial revolution has done in 150 years possibly the same, maybe more, maybe less as that one event did in about 1 minute from when it entered the atmosphere.
From a moral perspective is that right?
From a self preservation perspective can we make this work?
For the first, my answer is no ( written on my smartphone, hypocritical fuck that I am).
For the second I don't know.
it’s a bittersweet symphony this life
jaclu
Expatriate
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 2:38 am
Reputation: 30
Pitcairn Island

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by jaclu »

hunter8 wrote:Once upon a time world scientists believed that the earth stands on elephants and those stand on a turtle. It was proved wrong later as science found facts about the true nature of things. Why should we hurry to introduce another religion into our lives instead of pressing scientists to look for quantifiable proof? There are enough religions of all colors already.
Nope, that has never been a scientific belief.
To claim something has been a scientific belief without knowing the facts is a cheap straw man, and on the same level as antivaxers.

It’s a pure religious/literary expression of the problem of infinite regress.

Turtles all the way down
comes from the book series Disc World, by Terry Pratchett that started 1983.

The idea with an infinite pile of Rocks/Turtles/Elephants first came into modern print in the 17th and 18th century in western mythology books.

It is loosely based on ancient Indian mythology.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post