Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:49 am

UKJ wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:As the impact of male circumcision are becoming more widely known, that's a very arguable point.

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/20 ... -standard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just like I said in the other thread. You will go to any length to avoid criticizing any culture, no matter how wrong some of their practices are. It shows you are utterly biased.
Not true, I just think if you are GOING to criticize another culture for one of their practices... you shouldn't be condoning/allowing a very similar one in your own culture. Criticize equally, or else you're showing your OWN bias.
UKJ
Expatriate
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by UKJ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:05 am

OrangeDragon wrote:
UKJ wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:As the impact of male circumcision are becoming more widely known, that's a very arguable point.

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/20 ... -standard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just like I said in the other thread. You will go to any length to avoid criticizing any culture, no matter how wrong some of their practices are. It shows you are utterly biased.
Not true, I just think if you are GOING to criticize another culture for one of their practices... you shouldn't be condoning/allowing a very similar one in your own culture. Criticize equally, or else you're showing your OWN bias.
Circumcision isn't widely done in Scotland. And it's completely different as SD said. I've heard of adult men going for it. You never hear of adult women going for FGM! And FGM is new to Scotland. I can complain about it, and shouldn't be told I'm being racist etc.

"I remember I was screaming for my mum and my grandmother to help me"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24915967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, two wrongs don't make a right. You have proven again, how far you will go to avoid criticising things that have no place in the modern world.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:08 am

So then, you didn't even click my link you're quoting did you...
UKJ
Expatriate
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by UKJ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:26 am

OrangeDragon wrote:So then, you didn't even click my link you're quoting did you...
I did, but I didn't read it all as it sounded biased, and I think any link is tenuous. But the bottom line is that two wrongs don't make a right.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:32 am

Actually, it went into the actual facts of the situation, from all perspectives, and then debunked a lot of the misconceptions.

I agree with you on that 2 wrongs don't make a right, but if you're damning one culture be sure and damn them both... especially if your claim is that one is contaminating the other in some way.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 am

To clarify, I am circumcised. It was done because a doctor decided to do it and convinced my parents it was 'common practice' and perfectly acceptable, without telling them all of the side effects and risks that might come along with it. It was done without my consent, being only an infant, and is something I'm very displeased with. That's not a news article, a study, a report you heard on TV. That's me... telling you what it's like to have been sexually mutilated from first hand experience. As "important to resolve" issues go, one that's taking place thousands of times a day (if not more) in the UK (as a whole) should be higher on the list than rare odd religious ones... yet it's something that most people just dismiss as 'common practice' or 'better for your health anyway' while being outraged at female genital mutilation and demanding it be stopped at once.
UKJ
Expatriate
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by UKJ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:48 am

OrangeDragon wrote:Actually, it went into the actual facts of the situation, from all perspectives, and then debunked a lot of the misconceptions.
.
:ROFL2:
When I post a link, it's fake, and I'm being spoonfed. When you post one, you " debunk misconceptions". :facepalm:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:51 am

UKJ wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Actually, it went into the actual facts of the situation, from all perspectives, and then debunked a lot of the misconceptions.
.
:ROFL2:
When I post a link, it's fake, and I'm being spoonfed. When you post one, you " debunk misconceptions". :facepalm:
When you post one it's 90% op-ed and contextual spin. This presented both sides, equally. Then tallied them against one another.
UKJ
Expatriate
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by UKJ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:54 am

OrangeDragon wrote:yet it's something that most people just dismiss as 'common practice' or 'better for your health anyway' while being outraged at female genital mutilation and demanding it be stopped at once.
No. It's about the introduction of a bad practice. If Scotland was so circumsision ( spelling) free, that most of us had never heard of it, then we would be just as opposed to it as FGM. Our society is going backwards. That's what it's about. There are loads of examples, from new crime trends to welfare costs. Yet people from the other side of the world, make the ludicrous assumption that any comments are based on skin colour.

Anyway.

Ferguson
Any signs of an end to the trouble?
UKJ
Expatriate
Posts: 849
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Ferguson , this is really getting out of hand

Post by UKJ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:56 am

OrangeDragon wrote:
UKJ wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:Actually, it went into the actual facts of the situation, from all perspectives, and then debunked a lot of the misconceptions.
.
:ROFL2:
When I post a link, it's fake, and I'm being spoonfed. When you post one, you " debunk misconceptions". :facepalm:
When you post one it's 90% op-ed and contextual spin. This presented both sides, equally. Then tallied them against one another.
Yes bud. Your links are sound, and mine ( BBC, Sky TV, Al Jazeera, broadsheet newspapers, live interviews, confessions!, youtube cctv) are all made up! :good:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], nerdlinger and 116 guests