Wild Honeycombs Sellers Doing Good Business

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Wild Honeycombs Sellers Doing Good Business

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kandal): Selling wild honeycomb is a popular business in Kandal. Mr. Chan Ra, searches for honey from the early morning hours because it is really good business and people always need honey for therapies. Mr. Chan Ra travels 10 km along national road 21, in Saang, Kandal, selling the honeycombs.

People search for honeycombs along the river and on the lakesides. Mr. Ra said there were many types of honeycombs, some small and some big, and natural honey sells for 10,000 riels per liter.
The honey searchers look for a mature honeycomb in the forest. They make sure not to kill the queen bee, because they want to be sure that there will be more honeycomb in the future. On a good day, they find six honeycombs per day. Searching for honey is a part-time job for the villagers that supplements their income in the rainy season.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Wild Honeycombs Sellers Doing Good Business in Kandal

Post by hunter8 »

What is the best place to buy honey in Phnom Penh?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

For you, the hunter, the best place would be here:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I bought some wild honey with pieces of honeycomb from a tribal woman in Rattanakiri one time. To die for. :thumb:
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 am For you, the hunter, the best place would be here:
I knew it. That sort of “honey” requires no effort to find in PP. I am after the real thing which is rare in convenience stores and usually only one brand in a small bottle if any at all. Are there stores better stocked with the sweet product which, mind you, helps with male power if savored on a daily basis, to appreciate more those lovely kind of “honeys”.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:30 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:02 am For you, the hunter, the best place would be here:
I knew it. That sort of “honey” requires no effort to find in PP. I am after the real thing which is rare in convenience stores and usually only one brand in a small bottle if any at all. Are there stores better stocked with the sweet product which, mind you, helps with male power if savored on a daily basis, to appreciate more those lovely kind of “honeys”.
FLB might know more about where to find good honey. If I remember, he got some local people into bee-keeping and who are now making honey to sell.
I don't think you will find real wild honey in PP but I could be wrong.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's a great pickup line for the @hunter8 .

Can go to anywhere where the western ladies hang out and sure enough they will show you the way.

No joke. If it doesn't go down too well you can save face and go with them to the nearest organic shop.

But if you want to compare the western bee to the asian bee - which is sweeter nectar - well the discerning connoisseur should be able to take the blind test.

Seriously there is lots of honey here - good stuff too.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The "wild honey" biz is fraught with fakes, and organised scams with tribal women travelling all over the country selling sugar water mixed with god knows what. I actually nearly gagged (honestly) when i saw those small water bottles in the photograph ^^^ after my last experience.
On the other hand, the real thing is the best tasting honey in world (imo). And you can buy that from tribal women too.
Look and taste carefully before you buy.

With forest honey, like true rainforest coffee - you can taste the smell of 1000 different rainforest trees exploding in your mouth, a rich complex mix of earthy foresty fecundity.
In Koh Kong it is sold by women who step out of the Cardamoms and men off boats from the mangroves.
Not sure where you can find it regularly in PP , except the one-offs of the real thing bought to town by the collectors.

The spiel about collecting sustainably is a bit suss too. Good practices are being encouraged but hive destruction methods are also common. ( nb - from my limited understanding only.)
Frank, :director: we need you..

PS - Recent studies, chemical analysis, show that fake/diluted honey is rife in supermarkets in the West too - from nearly all the No1 brands.
China is turning out a counterfeit product and introducing it into the supply chain even there. The big brands must be complicit. They have been getting away with it because of a loop hole in the testing technique. New methods have caught them cold.
I would never buy commercial honey in Cambodia, almost certainly mostly fake. Taste it.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am The "wild honey" biz is fraught with fakes, and organised scams with tribal women travelling all over the country selling sugar water mixed with god knows what.

With forest honey, like true rainforest coffee - you can taste the smell of 1000 different rainforest trees exploding in your mouth, a rich complex mix of earthy foresty fecundity.
In Koh Kong it is sold by women who step out of the Cardamoms and men off boats from the mangroves.
Not sure where you can find it regularly in PP , except the one-offs of the real thing bought to town by the collectors.

The spiel about collecting sustainably is a bit suss too. Good practices are being encouraged but hive destruction methods are also common. ( nb - from my limited understanding only.)

PS - Recent studies, chemical analysis, show that fake/diluted honey is rife in supermarkets in the West too - from nearly all the No1 brands.
China is turning out a counterfeit product and introducing it into the supply chain even there. The big brands must be complicit.
I would never buy commercial honey in Cambodia, almost certainly mostly fake. Taste it.
Yeah - your description of real honey is fantastic.

I'm looking for some solid honey for my kid's toast and myself too.

The one I bought was garbage - still there after months - If it was good the kids would have raided it. Cheap Chinese Shite.

Let me know if anyone spots any genuine stuff around
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am The "wild honey" biz is fraught with fakes, and organised scams with tribal women travelling all over the country selling sugar water mixed with god knows what.

China is turning out a counterfeit product and introducing it into the supply chain even there. The big brands must be complicit.
Yeah - your description of real honey is fantastic.

I'm looking for some solid honey for my kid's toast and myself too.

The one I bought was garbage - still there after months - If it was good the kids would have raided it. Cheap Chinese Shite.

Let me know if anyone spots any genuine stuff around

Have you tried New Zealand Manuka Honey occasionally I have seen it for sale here. Very expensive, very dark in colour , very thick in texture and very strong taste. Also good to put on burns.

I had many hives on the farm in NZ and all the area was tee-tree Manuka and some Kanuka so all my honey was this type of honey which people did not want . They wanted Clover honey. Bee comercial bee keepers did not want it because of the thick texture it would not spin out of the frames so I produced the small square frames and Honeymead wine.

Like this.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.wArA ... =229&h=154
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic