Unusual Crops/Stock

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by OrangeDragon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Soi Dog wrote:Way too much work for me, far too much risk and too much start-up capital needed...but cultivating prawns would be interesting. I understand it's quite difficult.

Growing bamboo, however, sounds more like my style.
You seem like a fun-gi, grow mushrooms!
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by Soi Dog » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:42 am

Cashews would be interesting as well...
PPP wrote:Cashew nut export numbers aren’t adding up: producers
Thu, 31 July 2014
Chan Muyhong
Cambodian cashew nut exports are on the rise, yet export figures are still well below production numbers, with thousands of tonnes unaccounted for.

Unshelled cashew nut exports totalled close to $2.5 million in the first six months of the year, with 2,800 tonnes exported, a rise of 200 per cent over the same period last year, a report from the Ministry of Commerce shows.

But despite the increases, officials and industry leaders told the Post that Cambodia produces close to six times the recorded export figures.

In Kampong Thom, the largest cashew-growing province in the country with more than 23,680 hectares under cultivation, Siv Ngy, president of Kampong Thom Cashew Nut Association, told the Post yesterday that he was sceptical of the official export figures, as average cashew nut production stands at about 70,000 tonnes per year.

“Traders buy at least 200 tonnes of raw cashew nuts from farmers per day during harvest season, which runs from February to late July. Traders later export the nuts to Vietnam,” he said.

more...
http://phnompenhpost.com/business/cashe ... -producers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by OrangeDragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:51 am

We now have, on their way, some US specialty crops that I think will be cool to grow here. A couple of them are novelty... like a breed of watermelon that reaches 100 kilo:
Image
And a breed of pumpkin that reaches 100 kilo as well:
Image
Not to mention the "Steakhouse Tomato" seeds:
Image

Some badass cherokee purple tomatoes:
Image

Some Sugar Baby watermelons, which are the sweetest I've ever tasted.

Some cantaloupe.

And some blackberry bush seeds... which will be an interesting challenge to get started.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 5110
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 754
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by Duncan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:26 am

I used to grow quite a lot of those Steakhouse tomatoes. They are solid flesh all the way through and have no juice in them. One slice through them horizontally and they cover a whole slice of bread.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
beaker
Expatriate
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am
Reputation: 75
Location: Ta Khmao
Cambodia

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by beaker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:13 am

Did you order the seeds to be delivered by mail? If so where please
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by OrangeDragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm ordering them from Burpee Seeds, and having them sent to a friend in the US who will then repackage them and send to me (as well as some heirloom seeds from his garden crops).

Except the blackberry seeds, I had to go with another online company to get those as burpee only sells the starter plants.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 5110
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 754
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by Duncan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:42 pm

beaker wrote:Did you order the seeds to be delivered by mail? If so where please
In NZ a old Dalmatian guy had grown them for 50 ?? years so i got seeds from him and gave back any tomatoes that were extra big or special, especially if they were resistant to bugs etc.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by OrangeDragon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Duncan wrote:I used to grow quite a lot of those Steakhouse tomatoes. They are solid flesh all the way through and have no juice in them. One slice through them horizontally and they cover a whole slice of bread.
Yeah, I'd grown them in the US all the time. Best BLT tomatoes EVER. Cut them about 1cm thick slices with 4-5 srips of bacon.
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 5110
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 754
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by Duncan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:06 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:
Duncan wrote:I used to grow quite a lot of those Steakhouse tomatoes. They are solid flesh all the way through and have no juice in them. One slice through them horizontally and they cover a whole slice of bread.
Yeah, I'd grown them in the US all the time. Best BLT tomatoes EVER.

Cut them about 1cm thick slices with 4-5 srips of bacon.





They must have been small tomatoes. I cut mine in 2 cm thick slices. :lol:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 13
United States of America

Re: Unusual Crops/Stock

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:51 am

Duncan wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
Duncan wrote:I used to grow quite a lot of those Steakhouse tomatoes. They are solid flesh all the way through and have no juice in them. One slice through them horizontally and they cover a whole slice of bread.
Yeah, I'd grown them in the US all the time. Best BLT tomatoes EVER.

Cut them about 1cm thick slices with 4-5 srips of bacon.





They must have been small tomatoes. I cut mine in 2 cm thick slices. :lol:
I mean... I wouldn't turn it down. But generally we tried for a balance of flavors, lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests