Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 229
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by hunter8 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:50 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:35 pm
If this goes thru, means the end of tourism in Thailand until.....
Until there is a completely new government because the current one have talked themselves into a corner. The new one will not have to think about saving face and can go straight to canceling restrictions of zero covid tolerance of the old government to revive economy back to life. But it cannot happen without blood of the patriots given to the tree of freedom, as history teaches us.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:10 pm
Reputation: 81
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by God'sGift » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:35 pm
If this goes thru, means the end of tourism in Thailand until.....
also as a side note
Burma, Laos & Cambodia are seldom destination countries for westerns but added on to a trip to Thailand.
this will put a stopper in tourism in the region..
Thailand’s Minister of Tourism and Sports, Pipat Ratchakitprakan, is reassuring Thais by explaining that all foreigners, regardless of their status or origins, will have to serve a mandatory 14 day quarantine, at least “in the foreseeable future”.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/all- ... e-minister
I guess it could still be do-able for the part-time expats, but the regular tourists / backpackers will be struggling
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 345
Location: Bangkok/Pattaya
Canada

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by ExPenhMan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:57 pm

God'sGift wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:35 pm
If this goes thru, means the end of tourism in Thailand until.....
also as a side note
Burma, Laos & Cambodia are seldom destination countries for westerns but added on to a trip to Thailand.
this will put a stopper in tourism in the region..
Thailand’s Minister of Tourism and Sports, Pipat Ratchakitprakan, is reassuring Thais by explaining that all foreigners, regardless of their status or origins, will have to serve a mandatory 14 day quarantine, at least “in the foreseeable future”.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/all- ... e-minister
I guess it could still be do-able for the part-time expats, but the regular tourists / backpackers will be struggling
These c**ts keep talking about foreigners only, when dozens of Thais are returning with high fevers and positive infections from the ass-ends of the world. Oh, and a small fact, almost no foreigners can enter Thailand, yet they keep blaming them (er, us).
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 pm
Reputation: 80
Australia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Dunderhead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:31 pm

You are right and wrong. Yes it's ridiculous to blame foreigners if you are dealing with facts. It's got nothing to do with facts and on that point you are right. You are wrong to say that the dozens of returning Thai's with infections are a danger to those in Thailand. The math says they are not a real danger, but with humans in groups the bigger the lie the better it works.
User avatar
aggro
Expatriate
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:32 pm
Reputation: 34
United States of America

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by aggro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Dunderhead wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:47 pm
That is the intent, no more mass tourism anywhere ever again. In future it will be expensive and a huge hassle to travel. Most people will be lucky to make an overseas trip once or twice a decade.
Mass tourism only really existed for a few decades for most people in most of the world. The 747 didn't even enter service until 1970.

Throughout human history, travel has mainly been the reserve of the well to do. Poor people historically only traveled to migrate. For much of the world that never changed.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 pm
Reputation: 80
Australia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Dunderhead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Absolutely correct but with one difference. Back then the ability to travel depended on you. Your ability to pay. Now iyour ability to travel is up to the rulers. Travel tyranny for everybody now, not just the poor.
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 345
Location: Bangkok/Pattaya
Canada

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by ExPenhMan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm

For what it's worth, considering it's coming from the Thai tourism authority:

The deadline of the "We Travel Together" campaign may be extended to increase tourism momentum for the rest of the year, while travel bubbles for tourists will take place in October, says the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister, said the slow redemption of the domestic stimulus scheme launched on July 15 could be partly attributed to reticence among tourists as they await more privileges in the second phase.

He said there is a chance of extending the booking and redemption period to the end of 2020, which will cover high season, leaving the window open for those who still want to travel.

Mr Phiphat said he plans to discuss with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha early next week about the idea of launching the second phase of the campaign, focusing on weekdays and second-tier provinces.

. . .

"We have to wait until Aug 15 to see if there are any problems two weeks after allowing the first batch," Mr Phiphat said. "I'm confident the travel bubbles scheme for tourists from low-risk countries will take place by October."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/19 ... x#cxrecs_s
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11679
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2950
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 pm

to bad it only applies to Thai's,
not even wp holders or anyone on long term extensions can take advantage of the discounts. :-(
....while travel bubbles for tourists will take place in October,
...."I'm confident the travel bubbles scheme for tourists from low-risk countries will take place by October."
Hmm, like i said way back, Oct will start seeing tourists again. :beer3:
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 pm
Reputation: 345
Location: Bangkok/Pattaya
Canada

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by ExPenhMan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Dunderhead wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:31 pm
You are right and wrong. Yes it's ridiculous to blame foreigners if you are dealing with facts. It's got nothing to do with facts and on that point you are right. You are wrong to say that the dozens of returning Thai's with infections are a danger to those in Thailand. The math says they are not a real danger, but with humans in groups the bigger the lie the better it works.
I agree, no real danger. But I did not say returning Thais are endangering Thailand. I object to singling out foreigners when everyone (well, almost) is quarantined upon arrival. Of course, the reporting/translation could be dodgy/incomplete as hell.
User avatar
aggro
Expatriate
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:32 pm
Reputation: 34
United States of America

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by aggro » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jamie_Lambo, Wrightstate and 116 guests