Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 229
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by hunter8 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:07 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:24 am
If this is a deadly pandemic then I am not impressed by it.
I wasn’t impressed by it since March when, after WHO proclaimed it as contagious or more contagious than a flu, i figured the number of real infections should be in hundreds of millions vs the officially reported tiny number, taking the deaths to infections ratio down to or a bit higher than a flu. Just a small worry.

But i was very impressed with the panic and lockdown measures and figured i should get out of Dodge before social unrest while there are still airplanes. It turns out people were happy to bend over and take it in the back and no social unrest happened even though their incomes almost dried up. I was right about one thing, wrong about the other. Go figure.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2917
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2352
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Doc67 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Duncan wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:41 am
Doc67, those people you know that had the virus , and survived , were they fit , not overweight, and health people that did exercises or not.
One was a guy about 50, was always in good shape. I haven't seen him in year, I just heard he had been hospitalized with it. That was the only person I heard of that got it bad.

My ex is 53 and quite overweight (BMI well over 30 I suspect), zero exercise and a history of asthma and generally poor respiratory health. I was very concerned for her but after about 5-8 days she was well on the mend.

I met plenty of people who all swore blind they had it in December-February but not one thought of paying £100 for an antibody test and dismissed the idea when I suggested it, so who knows if they had it or not. If I had become very ill around that time I would go get an antibody test right away, it would be good to know.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2940
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Duncan wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:41 am
Doc67, those people you know that had the virus , and survived , were they fit , not overweight, and health people that did exercises or not.
my daughter is currently recovering from it, almost 4 weeks at home,
fit, young, eats well, exercises and still has no sense of smell or taste and coughing up green shit which is much better than the dry cough she had for almost 2 weeks.

the Veterinarian hospital she worked at, had remained open till she and 5 others were infected and closed for 2 weeks

Its real

Just back from having a meal at Jung ceylon, (50% closed up) and supermarket shopping and than driving down 2nd road and beach road in Patong.
Hadley any people, 2nd road 85 % closed, 20% of the hotels open, on the whole beach road, none of the hotels open, no shops, only pharmacies, 7/11 and massage places open...Beach is empty
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2940
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 am

On the question of how to prevent a second wave of infections, 94.51% want the Government to forbid all foreigners from entering Thailand, 86.41% suggest stringent screening processes, 83.80% say people must wear face masks and regularly wash their hands, 81.40% suggest the Government keeps people updated about the pandemic and 76.73% want free access to COVID-19 tests.

The poll gauged the opinions of 1,459 people, between July 14th and 18th, about their concerns over the possibility of a second COVID-19 outbreak, following two incidents last week. One concerned Egyptian military mission members breaking self-confinement rules and the other involved a Sudanese diplomatic family, staying at a condominium instead of state quarantine facility, with one member of the family infected by the virus.
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-90-of ... -arrivals/

As far as Phuket goes, there is NO TESTING here in months.
Only at the airports for international arrivals in Bangkok or those requiring the test to leave the country

it the farang scare tactic

Kill the economy .....save Thai lifes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2940
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:03 am

Image
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
Alex
Expatriate
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 am
Reputation: 355
Location: Bangkok
United States of America

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:46 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:18 am
Alex wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:01 am
DaveG wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 am
Madness over there, more than 57 have been killed on the roads in the last 4 months, what they going to do next....Ban all motor vehicles and put then all in to quarantine, ffs
Spot on. I really have to laugh when people say the Thai government implements these extreme virus elimination measures because they care about their people and want to avoid tens of thousands of "unnecessary" deaths. If they really cared, they would have been busy reducing the road kill year after year.
I agree, BUT HOW?
even with increased traffic stops and checkponts during holidays, numbers increase.
I see more and more kids, ( like 10-14) riding around on bikes with 1-2 of their friends on the back.
More and more over loaded pickups in the news having accidents, more an more trucks/bus's also involved in deaths.

wait and see what the numbers are for the last week of this month with the upcoming 4 day holiday
You make it sound as if those checkpoints were effective. People know where they are and avoid them, or let the wife drive the last few miles if they're too drunk to pass a breathalyzer test. The Thai obsession with large and immobile checkpoints is just silly.

I'm seeing the same regarding kids and bikes. There's only one solution: Catch them, confiscate the bike (permanently and without compensation), imprison the legal owner of the bike ow whoever gave the key to a child. As that's not being done, again, whatever they've tried just doesn't work.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2940
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:32 pm

thats the point, the checkpoints mean nada

I was once stopped years ago for no helmet, they also stopped a thai man, they let him go, fined me 300 baht,
I asked why and he told me the thai guy had no money ..
go figure
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 229
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by hunter8 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:24 pm

The way it keeps trucking, no tourists will be allowed into Thailand until Thailand goes through a major political upheaval. If neighboring countries act smart, they can get a good slice of the tourism pie.
User avatar
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:28 am
Reputation: 27
Netherlands

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by alexvanlaar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:07 pm

ExPenhMan wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:18 am
Alex wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:01 am
DaveG wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 am
Madness over there, more than 57 have been killed on the roads in the last 4 months, what they going to do next....Ban all motor vehicles and put then all in to quarantine, ffs
Spot on. I really have to laugh when people say the Thai government implements these extreme virus elimination measures because they care about their people and want to avoid tens of thousands of "unnecessary" deaths. If they really cared, they would have been busy reducing the road kill year after year.
I agree, BUT HOW?
even with increased traffic stops and checkponts during holidays, numbers increase.
I see more and more kids, ( like 10-14) riding around on bikes with 1-2 of their friends on the back.
More and more over loaded pickups in the news having accidents, more an more trucks/bus's also involved in deaths.

wait and see what the numbers are for the last week of this month with the upcoming 4 day holiday

At one point while sitting on the the terrace of a Darkside bar, I watched a young woman rider one-hand her motorcycle and hold a small baby against her left shoulder. And . . . helmets? What helmets? Shot this photo below on Nern Plub Waan a few nights ago. At first I guessed 30-40% of riders were hatless. As the minutes passed, I moved my guess up to 60-70%. Down on Khao Noi easily 80% rode without helmets. They don't understand the consequences of their mad behaviour. I remember commuters arriving at Sukhumvit on their way to the beach side and stopping to finally don a helmet only to avoid police fines.

Image

Police dont check anymore since 4 months, no alkohol, helmet check etc. Responsibility is a word thais aren't aware of , NOT for others NOT for themselves.
User avatar
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:28 am
Reputation: 27
Netherlands

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by alexvanlaar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:09 pm

ExPenhMan wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:53 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:18 am
Alex wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:01 am
DaveG wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 am
Madness over there, more than 57 have been killed on the roads in the last 4 months, what they going to do next....Ban all motor vehicles and put then all in to quarantine, ffs
Spot on. I really have to laugh when people say the Thai government implements these extreme virus elimination measures because they care about their people and want to avoid tens of thousands of "unnecessary" deaths. If they really cared, they would have been busy reducing the road kill year after year.
I agree, BUT HOW?
even with increased traffic stops and checkponts during holidays, numbers increase.
I see more and more kids, ( like 10-14) riding around on bikes with 1-2 of their friends on the back.
More and more over loaded pickups in the news having accidents, more an more trucks/bus's also involved in deaths.

wait and see what the numbers are for the last week of this month with the upcoming 4 day holiday
Police dont check anymore since 4 months, no alkohol, helmet check etc. Responsibility is a word thais aren't aware of , NOT for others NOT for themselves.


At one point while sitting on the the terrace of a Darkside bar, I watched a young woman rider one-hand her motorcycle and hold a small baby against her left shoulder. And . . . helmets? What helmets? Shot this photo below on Nern Plub Waan a few nights ago. At first I guessed 30-40% of riders were hatless. As the minutes passed, I moved my guess up to 60-70%. Down on Khao Noi easily 80% rode without helmets. They don't understand the consequences of their mad behaviour. I remember commuters arriving at Sukhumvit on their way to the beach side and stopping to finally don a helmet only to avoid police fines.

Image



Last edited by alexvanlaar on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests