Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by highrider »

monomial wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 am
yong wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 am looks like no 2 day window

Very disturbing news this morning but thanks, know what to do next.
Disturbing is putting it mildly...

I am going to try and brew my own beer. Apirat has already said a vaccine will be required before he will allow alcohol sales, and that is year(s) away. Thailand is going to be a dry country for a long time. Ordered 8 lbs. of malt and 1 lb. of hops along with some yeast and other things. Should be enough to yield 12-14 liters. Figure if I do 1 of these a week I should have enough for myself and to share with a few friends.

Haven't done this since college almost 30 years ago. No idea how it is going to turn out. But any port in a storm...

Good news is I can forsee tax free speak easies opening underground all over the country. There has been way too much following the rules in Thailand during the last decade anyway. Why should the big conglomerates get to control the alcohol trade? Much better to give it to the little guys and the boys in brown. Everyone will be happier once we get some skill at home brewing and distillation.

What I really miss is the ability to travel back and forth between LOS and the KOW. Drinking in Thailand just doesn't offer the same experience as 75 cent draft beer in Cambodia. Really need these borders open to the point where I can start making day trips back and forth again.
Apparently alcohol consumption will be allowed again from Sunday, for private consumption at home. Latest announcement confirmed in the Royal Gazette. Even if that hadn't happened, they would have allowed it again by June 1.

Infographics I've seen show bars and clubs re-opening on June 15, which is the last type of business to be allowed to re-open.

Politicians like to talk a long game, but just like the Aussie politicians who are saying there won't be any international travel (or even domestic travel) until a vaccine or next year (and btw a viable vaccine may never come out), you can't take what they say seriously.

They're currently treating us all like children, but they know they can't keep up all these restrictions for too much longer. Come next month, a semblance of normality will return and by July, perhaps business as usual.
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by highrider »

monomial wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 am
yong wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 am looks like no 2 day window

Very disturbing news this morning but thanks, know what to do next.
Disturbing is putting it mildly...

I am going to try and brew my own beer. Apirat has already said a vaccine will be required before he will allow alcohol sales, and that is year(s) away. Thailand is going to be a dry country for a long time. Ordered 8 lbs. of malt and 1 lb. of hops along with some yeast and other things. Should be enough to yield 12-14 liters. Figure if I do 1 of these a week I should have enough for myself and to share with a few friends.

Haven't done this since college almost 30 years ago. No idea how it is going to turn out. But any port in a storm...

Good news is I can forsee tax free speak easies opening underground all over the country. There has been way too much following the rules in Thailand during the last decade anyway. Why should the big conglomerates get to control the alcohol trade? Much better to give it to the little guys and the boys in brown. Everyone will be happier once we get some skill at home brewing and distillation.

What I really miss is the ability to travel back and forth between LOS and the KOW. Drinking in Thailand just doesn't offer the same experience as 75 cent draft beer in Cambodia. Really need these borders open to the point where I can start making day trips back and forth again.
Politicians like to talk a long game, but that doesn't mean you should take it seriously. Aussie politicians have spoken of no domestic (or international) travel before a vaccine or next year, yet there may never be a viable vaccine. BTW just appearing in the Royal Gazette is an announcement that alcohol purchase will be permitted from May 3 for consumption in home. Even if that hadn't happened, the current order would probably have expired on May 31.

Infographics are showing bars and clubs to re-open June 15; the last types of businesses to re-open.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Looks like the ban on buying alcohol from retailers is actually being lifted after Sunday. :beer3:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

went out yesterday and so nice to dive around.

Thailand springs back to life tomorrow (Sunday) with the alcohol sales ban being lifted and a raft of shops and services allowed to re-open, but under strict guidelines. Expect a lot of taking of temperatures, hand sanitisers at the entry of all shops, and the need to adhere to social distancing guidelines and the wearing of face masks.

Here is a quick list of some of the services that can re-open from tomorrow.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19 ... s-tomorrow

BUT BEACHES STILL CLOSED!!! :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

highrider wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 pm
Apparently alcohol consumption will be allowed again from Sunday, for private consumption at home. Latest announcement confirmed in the Royal Gazette. Even if that hadn't happened, they would have allowed it again by June 1.

Infographics I've seen show bars and clubs re-opening on June 15, which is the last type of business to be allowed to re-open.

Politicians like to talk a long game, but just like the Aussie politicians who are saying there won't be any international travel (or even domestic travel) until a vaccine or next year (and btw a viable vaccine may never come out), you can't take what they say seriously.

They're currently treating us all like children, but they know they can't keep up all these restrictions for too much longer. Come next month, a semblance of normality will return and by July, perhaps business as usual.
I've seen no similar infographics pointing to June 15 re-opening of bar services. This would be good news indeed. Sooner, I hope. This home self-entertainment stretch and my current food menu rotation are getting tiresome.

The sudden lifting of the ban on alcohol sales was a shocker. There could be further shock surprises as the reality of zero revenue, especially tax revenues, gets the attention of hi-so business owners who start making calls up the power ladder to get things going again.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:33 am This home self-entertainment stretch and my current food menu rotation are getting tiresome.
better call saul. i mean yong.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

I hope I am wrong, but it looks like gyms, at least in in the Pattaya area, are not opening on the 3rd.

Govt at at it's best! Lift the alcohol ban and get all the LaoKao you want, but gyms/health clubs where one goes to improve ones health, nope. Guess I'll have to drink to that. Dumb F*cks.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

What a wonderful Sunday today.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... new-normal

BMA discusses new normal
Restaurant meals, haircuts and jogging in the park are back on ... but with many limits
published : 2 May 2020 at 20:46

Partitions are installed at the Penguin Eat Shabu restaurant in the Saphan Kwai area in Bangkok on Saturday. The restaurant accepts customers only by reservation. (Photo by Nutthawat Wicheanbut)

Masks, distancing and fever checks are the new way of life in Bangkok for at least another month, even as City Hall eased the lockdown in the capital in line with the government’s announcement on Friday.

The measures the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) plans to impose are similar to those already in place and in line with the government’s directives, said Pol Capt Pongsakorn Kwanmuang, a BMA spokesman, after a meeting of the capital’s communicable disease committee on Saturday.

The guidelines cover 10 types of businesses, most of which will be ready to offer services starting on Sunday. The exception is markets, where vendors are not yet ready to meet all the requirements. That includes the BMA-run Chatuchak weekend market, which will need “one or two weeks of preparation to reopen”, said Pol Capt Pongsakorn.

What follows is a summary of what will and won’t be allowed:

Eateries

Restaurants covering more than 200 square metres must check employees and patrons for fever while smaller ones must do the best they can. Seating must be 1m to 1.5m apart and partitions must be installed, except when tables are at least 2m apart

Customers coming in groups are advised to be seated separately.

Buffets are not allowed, only a-la-carte orders. Alcohol must not be served but can be brought home.

Live music is banned and distancing must be observed when queuing at cashiers.

Likewise, other types of eateries, stalls and hawkers must arrange for distancing for customers queuing to buy from them.

Markets

Wet, flea, floating and walking-street markets must set limits on the number of customers they can serve at a given time and restrict their entry and exit. Both vendors and customers must be screened for fever. Sanitisers must be provided and hand-sanitising must be promoted. Everyone must wear masks.

Barbershops, hair salons

Only trimming, washing and styling are allowed. Customer limits must be set, as well as 20-minute breaks at intervals for cleaning. Records of cleaning schedules must be kept, as well as details of customers. (story continues below)

Public health workers show employees of the Chalachol hair salon how to clean their equipment in Bangkok on Friday. (Photo by Nutthawat Wicheanbut)

Clinics

Beauty and weight-loss clinics remain closed. The operators of other types of clinics can reopen but hey must follow the guidelines to be issued soon by the Public Health Ministry.

Golf courses, driving ranges

Food may be served in the clubhouse and the same measures used by restaurants apply. No group activities are allowed during or after playing. No competitions can be held and distancing rules apply on the course.

Outdoor sports

The types of sports allowed to resume are tennis, shooting and archery. Food may be served at venues, with the same rules as restaurants. No group activities are allowed during or after playing. No competitions, team play or spectators are allowed. Distancing is to be observed at all times.

Looking to get some indoor exercise instead? That’s not possible yet as gyms and many other similar facilities remain closed (see list at end of story).

Public parks

Walking, jogging and cycling are allowed, as well as solo exercises. Non-group tai chi can be practised. Operators must restrict entry and exit and set up fever-screening checkpoints. Everyone must wear masks. No food can be sold or eaten but drinks can be sold.

Pet grooming shops, spas

Bookings must be made in advance and records of customers must be kept. Operators must ask customers questions to determine whether they are at risk.

Other retailers

Places that are already allowed to open such as supermarkets, convenience stores with dining corners, small retail shops or community grocery shops must limit customer numbers, check people for fever and ensure distancing while customers shop.

Telecom shops at malls can reopen and mobile vending machines can operate provided they are placed with social distancing in mind.

Drink responsibly

Alcohol sales are allowed starting from Sunday for home consumption only, as stipulated by the central government.

However, if too many drinkers behave irresponsibly or stage gatherings at which disease transmission risk is high, the booze ban that was in place for most of April could be slapped on again, authorities warned.

“But if we discuss with our neighbouring provinces and the consensus is to suspend the sale, we will abide by the joint resolution,” Pol Capt Pongsakorn said.

On Friday the government announced the extension of the 10pm to 4am curfew by another month. It also banned gatherings including handouts to people, and meetings, except religious ceremonies, which are at the discretion of elders.

What’s not open yet

Under the announcement, the following places remain closed:

Cinemas, pubs, bars, entertainment venues, water parks, playgrounds, fun parks, zoos, skating or rollerblade rinks or similar types of sports, snooker parlours, billiard halls, bowling alleys, game shops, internet shops, public swimming pools and cockfighting rings.

Also closed are department stores, shopping centres, fitness centres, beauty clinics, trade exhibition halls, conference halls, exhibitions, museums, public libraries, nurseries, elderly nursing homes, boxing rings, gyms, tattoo shops, dancing halls or schools, horse racing tracks, bathing services, saunas, health shops, Thai massage, foot massage and massage parlours.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

and no mention of Beaches!!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

You'd think a stress relieving walk alone along the beach in the sun and sea air would be the healthiest thing to do right now. The lap of the waves, the cry of the gulls, the gentle sea breeze all sounds fine to me.

Meanwhile in Florida
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic