Thai visa crackdown

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by OrangeDragon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:04 pm

phuketrichard wrote:od has a bug up his ass about Thailand from hanging out in shv too long
No, I just think it's preposterous how much blind faith you give the government workers there. And how you have this "at any cost" outlook on addressing it's issues.


And my overall point was, since you seemed to miss it, that there were legit tourists improperly being turned away in the attempts to enforce this law. Side effects. Of which you blindly insist there will be none while chanting the general's new happiness song.
User avatar
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Posts: 1486
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:25 pm
Reputation: 468
Nigeria

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by Cowshed Cowboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:od has a bug up his ass about Thailand from hanging out in shv too long
No, I just think it's preposterous how much blind faith you give the government workers there. And how you have this "at any cost" outlook on addressing it's issues.


And my overall point was, since you seemed to miss it, that there were legit tourists improperly being turned away in the attempts to enforce this law. Side effects. Of which you blindly insist there will be none while chanting the general's new happiness song.
I was slightly reassured on the Aug 29th visa exemption extension announcement that the powers that be are working at getting the message out to all immigration checkpoints on documentary specifics/requirements so it's consistently applied. This remains the key issue for me and whether it will be a true success or one that misses the target. If they fail on this one it will colour my view negatively on the junta's performance.

If they get it wrong OD we'll be able to discuss it at the bar since I'll have been refused entry. :beer3:
Never trust a man who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11470
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2856
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by phuketrichard » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:51 pm

and if they get it right ( which is what we all hope for)
Od can take his anti thai tirades away....

btw legit tourists do not do back to back visa exempt runs month in ..month out
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by Soi Dog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm

phuketrichard wrote:btw legit tourists do not do back to back visa exempt runs month in ..month out
The Thai authorities can make any visa rules they wish, but who are YOU to say what is legitimate behavior for long term travellers? You can't seem to understand that some of us work for years and save enough money to then enjoy periods of long-term travel (which in my case lasted over 4 years at one point). I used Thailand as a base and headed out in all directions from there over time, racking up 3 passports full of legitimate tourist visas, 30 day extensions and visa exemption stamps. Other times I did short term contract work outside the country, leaving Thailand for 6 to 8 weeks at a time to earn some cash, and then returning to Thailand for 3 to 6 months or until another overseas employment opportunity arose. I followed the rules and contributed quite a bit of money into the Thai economy.

Making up some random number of weeks per year for "legitimate tourists" based on how you choose to live your life is elitist and small minded on your part...and short sighted/economically foolish on the junta's part.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by OrangeDragon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 am

Soi Dog wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:btw legit tourists do not do back to back visa exempt runs month in ..month out
The Thai authorities can make any visa rules they wish, but who are YOU to say what is legitimate behavior for long term travellers? You can't seem to understand that some of us work for years and save enough money to then enjoy periods of long-term travel (which in my case lasted over 4 years at one point). I used Thailand as a base and headed out in all directions from there over time, racking up 3 passports full of legitimate tourist visas, 30 day extensions and visa exemption stamps. Other times I did short term contract work outside the country, leaving Thailand for 6 to 8 weeks at a time to earn some cash, and then returning to Thailand for 3 to 6 months or until another overseas employment opportunity arose. I followed the rules and contributed quite a bit of money into the Thai economy.

Making up some random number of weeks per year for "legitimate tourists" based on how you choose to live your life is elitist and small minded on your part...and short sighted/economically foolish on the junta's part.
this.

when i have the time i go to thailand very frequently from here. it's a nice getaway and a cheap plane/bus ticket. it's not inconceivable for me to have several back to back exempt stamps... even though i'm usually only going for long weekends to a week at a time. sometimes 2 a month for a few months when work lightens up. i'm not living there... i'm a tourist. a legit one. and i'm not alone in it i'm sure.

that's an entire crowd of frequent visitors that are now being shut out of the country.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 11470
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 2856
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am

fuck , i told myself stay out of this but u all are either thick or u just want things to be YOUR way. :facepalm:
it's not inconceivable for me to have several back to back exempt stamps.
CORRECT you are tourist, you are NOT living in Thailand
NOR abusing the visa exempt system.

once again and this is the last time

Back to back visa exempt runners are those that LIVE, possibly work, in Thailand without the correct VISA,
They Get a 30 day visa EXEMPT on arrival, or a single entry tourist visa and at the end of 30/60 days head to a border, have a coffee an come RIGHT back to Thailand REPETITIVELY!!!
These are the people they want to stop.

:please:
get it???
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
Posts: 4193
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Reputation: 16
United States of America

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by OrangeDragon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:52 pm

phuketrichard wrote:fuck , i told myself stay out of this but u all are either thick or u just want things to be YOUR way. :facepalm:
it's not inconceivable for me to have several back to back exempt stamps.
CORRECT you are tourist, you are NOT living in Thailand
NOR abusing the visa exempt system.

once again and this is the last time

Back to back visa exempt runners are those that LIVE, possibly work, in Thailand without the correct VISA,
They Get a 30 day visa EXEMPT on arrival, or a single entry tourist visa and at the end of 30/60 days head to a border, have a coffee an come RIGHT back to Thailand REPETITIVELY!!!
These are the people they want to stop.

:please:
get it???
But that's NOT how it's being implemented... GET IT? You keep talking about it in ways that describe how it SHOULD work while ignoring how it DOES work.
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 222
Vietnam

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by sigmoid » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:42 pm

It is quite curious that in the region only Thailand seems to have this sort of issue.

Are there websites such as "Cambodiavisa.com", "Vietnamvisa.com", "Laosvisa.com", Malaysiavisa.com", etc that strive to explain the rules, reassure the uncertain that they can go back to their homes after leaving the country and provide forums for debate about visa policies, crackdowns, definitions of legitimate tourists, etc?
Mr Curious
Expatriate
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:26 am
Reputation: 15
United States of America

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by Mr Curious » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 am

Soi Dog wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Not new Soi Dog, this is the date the previously announced enforcement on multiple back to back visa exempt entrants is due to start. The last time I did a border visa run a couple of years ago. I was surprised how many Philipinos were around, so presumably with the announcement above they may be a sizeable contingent who will face problems. Would I be wrong in assuming they are mainly working.

Swedish guy on Thai visa today posted he'd been denied a Tourist visa at Thai embassy in Singapore because of too many entries in the last 6 months. It will be interesting to see how many people are affected come August 12th.
It will be more interesting to see how the Thai educational system fills the void of English teachers so abruptly cut off from returning, as they have been doing this visa run for years. I assumed those masses of filipinas at the Vientiane Thai Embassy were English teachers. I suppose some could be nurses...but that doesn't bode well either.
they don't give a rats ASS about English, jesus. They'll just put whatever Thai can speak ten words into the posts. The outcome will be virtually the same.
Soi Dog
Expatriate
Posts: 2236
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am
Reputation: 5

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by Soi Dog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:15 am

Mr Curious wrote: they don't give a rats ASS about English, jesus. They'll just put whatever Thai can speak ten words into the posts. The outcome will be virtually the same.
Then why wouldn't they have done that long ago, and saved the added costs for native English teachers?

By the way, Thai students are learning Chinese now. Seems to be becoming more popular than English, as an elective subject.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests