Laptop sleeping

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Karma: 195
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by pczz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Username Taken wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:46 pm
Popeye wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm
Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
What exactly do you want it to do?
You are not green enough. the idea is to save the planet by reducing power consumption. I thibnk its juts an excuse to be lazy. When you aren't using it turn it off. it is also necessary because you can die of old age waiting for windows to boot. THAT is something snoppysoft should look into
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Karma: 244
Australia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by epidemiks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm


Username Taken wrote:
Popeye wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm
Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
What exactly do you want it to do?
It sounds like it's doing exactly what he's telling it to do. If it's set to never sleep, it should never sleep.
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 8947
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Karma: 1000
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by Username Taken » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 pm

epidemiks wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
Username Taken wrote:
Popeye wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm
Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
What exactly do you want it to do?
It sounds like it's doing exactly what he's telling it to do. If it's set to never sleep, it should never sleep.
That's what I thought too. But why does that make it 'something for MS to look at'?
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
Popeye
Expatriate
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 am
Karma: 10
Australia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by Popeye » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 am

I want it to do according to the settings that I set.
User avatar
that genius
Expatriate
Posts: 4030
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am
Karma: 958
Sweden

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by that genius » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am

Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7 or Linux on a newly-bought laptop? I think there is some kind of UEFI barrier? I read that soem tried it, but it end sup messing with the audio/video drivers/other functions
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Karma: 244
Australia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by epidemiks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Popeye wrote:I want it to do according to the settings that I set.
It is:
Popeye wrote:Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
Never means never, so using 'never sleep' and 'never turn off screen' options mean that it will never sleep and never turn off the screen.

Is that not what it is doing?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1152
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Karma: 244
Australia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by epidemiks » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 pm

that genius wrote:Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7 or Linux on a newly-bought laptop? I think there is some kind of UEFI barrier? I read that soem tried it, but it end sup messing with the audio/video drivers/other functions
Use a uefi supported distribution.

W7 sucked, there is no good reason to go back to it.
username
Expatriate
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:22 am
Karma: 70
Cambodia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by username » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 am

epidemiks wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 pm
W7 sucked, there is no good reason to go back to it.
I haven't used Windows extensively for many years, but I've used Win7, 8.1 and 10 for a few months each, and I found Win7 to be very stable, with all settings and otherwise where I expected it to be. I still use Win7 on my virtual machine whenever I need to run Windows software. What am I missing out on?
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Karma: 299
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by timmydownawell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:59 pm

that genius wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am
Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7 or Linux on a newly-bought laptop? I think there is some kind of UEFI barrier? I read that soem tried it, but it end sup messing with the audio/video drivers/other functions
I installed Linux Mint on my laptop after my hard drive died in the arse. Made a bootable USB stick and had to change the BIOS setting to ensure it picked up the stick as first bootable drive. Google it, there is info out there.

This laptop came with Windows 8.1 originally (before I upgraded to 10), but no backup so without having the exact Asus OEM version of 8.1 it was impossible to get Windows back again short of buying it. Crazy. Doing fine with Linux though, Mint is just like Windows anyway. I already had Mint on my emergency backup Netbook because the Win 7 activation key on the label had rubbed off.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 7471
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Karma: 843
Location: the far side of the moon
Aruba

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by phuketrichard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:02 pm

epidemiks wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
Username Taken wrote:
Popeye wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm
Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
What exactly do you want it to do?
It sounds like it's doing exactly what he's telling it to do. If it's set to never sleep, it should never sleep.
:thumb: :thumb:

never means never..... :plus1:

Have never had problems with my windows 7, set to never update my original windows copy software.
Only problem i have is, my laptop is now 6 years old and slowwwwwwwww
Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7
Reformat the whole drive after u back up all ur info and make sure u have copies somewhere, ( all my install files are on an external hard drive)of all ur software u want/need
Than set ur partitions an reinstall everything...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests