Do you need your house blessed ?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Do you need your house blessed ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi all,
this is a real question - when you move into a new place, how important is it to get your house blessed by monks ? Is it the same if you move into a brand new place or if you just take over someone else's house? Do apartments need blessing the same as an individual house ?

I'd just like to get a take on this from other foreigners who have bought homes here. Is this just a thing to do, or do you think that it is really important for your Cambodian family ?
I know from experience that everybody here loves a good excuse for a ceremony and a party - but is it more than that ?

Also like to hear what you think about this, Samouth and LS. :beer3:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Do you need your house blessed ?

Post by StroppyChops »

Kinda related, I'm keen to see how our landlord responds when we put a nativity scene in the spirit house built into our front room...

He didn't seem thrilled when we removed the red threads tying the house together as we moved in.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i imagine you will have approval with the nativity scene.
Khmers are avid adopters of outside influences.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

In my experience, it is very important to Khmer when they move into a new residence to have the place blessed, whether it is a new build, old house, rented house/apartment, basically anywhere they plan on living. Not necessarily to chase the ghosts out, but to reassure them that the new tenants are not their to do them any harm...that's my understanding anyway...I normally just go along for the feed and piss-up afterwards.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote:i imagine you will have approval with the nativity scene.
Khmers are avid adopters of outside influences.
Possibly start selling them...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:In my experience, it is very important to Khmer when they move into a new residence to have the place blessed, whether it is a new build, old house, rented house/apartment, basically anywhere they plan on living. Not necessarily to chase the ghosts out, but to reassure them that the new tenants are not their to do them any harm...that's my understanding anyway...I normally just go along for the feed and piss-up afterwards.
What he said.

If you have a Khmer spouse, then she has the right to maintain her beliefs. If that means appeasing spirits, then I don't have a problem with that.

@Stroppy, if you're still living at the same place, why not use that entire wall opposite your front door for the nativity scene. Saw a lot of spectacular Xmas-lit gardens last year in Oz. Your neighbors will love it (but you pay for the pleung, ok?).

:popcorn:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:@Stroppy, if you're still living at the same place, why not use that entire wall opposite your front door for the nativity scene. Saw a lot of spectacular Xmas-lit gardens last year in Oz. Your neighbors will love it (but you pay for the pleung, ok?).
The neighbours have claimed part of that wall for stacking their charcoal...

Oh, and they brought home a new baby today, so that should be fun! Much blessing going on in their household, fortunately there's plenty of free parking right behind our tuktuks so they don't have to park in their own space.

Seriously though, what's an appropriate gift to give neighbours you don't really get on with on the arrival of yet another neighbour?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sorry, I don't think the search function is functioning.

But, err, the same as when you visited the friend in hospital. Nestle's Bear brand sterilized milk. And half a smile.
Flexnez
Expatriate
Norway

Re: RE: Re: Do you need your house blessed ?

Post by Flexnez »

StroppyChops wrote:
Seriously though, what's an appropriate gift to give neighbours you don't really get on with on the arrival of yet another neighbour?
No need to give anything unless you get invitated to the buddhist blessing party when the infant is one month old, in which case you probably will receive an envelope
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

A copy of the christian chronicle, the warchtower or whatever propaganda filth you peddle.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic