British English Vs American English

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
justincase
Tourist

Re: British English Vs American English

Post by justincase »

What a load of old bollocks. American revolution my arse..
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Sorry mate, but Northern English is not English at all. Take a hint: if no one understands you, it's not everyone else who had the problem, it's you!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Sorry mate, but Northern English is not English at all. Take a hint: if no one understands you, it's not everyone else who had the problem, it's you!
i'm sorry but what? :facepalm: what a stupid thing to say :no:
I am English, Born and Bred, everyone in England understands me, i speak British English with English Slang, i understand all the different English Dialects, Dialects that have been around longer than the US and Australia have even been countries!
So sorry mate, its everyone else that cant speak British English, not my problem, i speak in broken English to help them seeing as their level of English isnt quite as advanced :good: lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hoodedviper
Expatriate

Post by hoodedviper »

Jamie, again and again you publish pure nonsense, not only on this thread but on others as well For instance your observations on the German language were ludicrously laughable and predictably superficial. Now, it is clear that American,Australian, etc and British literature students can read each others works with only the odd vocabulary problem here and there. Plus, I have had extended conversations with British and other native speakers from around the world. While we may have avoided regionalisms peculiar to our own English, no one felt compelled to grunt monosyllables to communicate. For your sake I hope you move more adroitly on canvas than you do on paper. There is no reason why anyone who doesn't come from your part of Great Britain to either speak or understand a language only slightly more modern than Beowulf. lol, as you are so overly fond of saying.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hoodedviper wrote:Jamie, again and again you publish pure nonsense, not only on this thread but on others as well For instance your observations on the German language were ludicrously laughable and predictably superficial. Now, it is clear that American,Australian, etc and British literature students can read each others works with only the odd vocabulary problem here and there. Plus, I have had extended conversations with British and other native speakers from around the world. While we may have avoided regionalisms peculiar to our own English, no one felt compelled to grunt monosyllables to communicate. For your sake I hope you move more adroitly on canvas than you do on paper. There is no reason why anyone who doesn't come from your part of Great Britain to either speak or understand a language only slightly more modern than Beowulf. lol, as you are so overly fond of saying.
Now this was a lol:
Frankly, most dialects from northern England sound more like speech impediments to me than a proper language
I really laughed out loud.
But. Can you rephrase that paragraph of yours in English please ?
Sorry, but all I get from your text is that you have literary conversations in English which are not monosyllabic - all too much for the rest of us. Lol.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hoodedviper wrote:Jamie, again and again you publish pure nonsense, not only on this thread but on others as well For instance your observations on the German language were ludicrously laughable and predictably superficial. Now, it is clear that American,Australian, etc and British literature students can read each others works with only the odd vocabulary problem here and there. Plus, I have had extended conversations with British and other native speakers from around the world. While we may have avoided regionalisms peculiar to our own English, no one felt compelled to grunt monosyllables to communicate. For your sake I hope you move more adroitly on canvas than you do on paper. There is no reason why anyone who doesn't come from your part of Great Britain to either speak or understand a language only slightly more modern than Beowulf. lol, as you are so overly fond of saying.
my observations were due to the fact i studied the German language for 3 years...

im not sure what point you are trying to make? People dont understand me because of my regional accent plus dialect, just because its not RP doesnt mean its not english, only 2-3% of england speak with received pronunciation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation
and dialect and accent doesnt mean the same thingso please dont confuse them,
i speak with a yorkshire accent with yorkshire dialect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_dialect
for anyone interested this is yorkshire dialect...

as you can see this is not the english most people are used to, but its still english
@Samouth.... can you understand any of this mate hehe
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Older British guys speak really cool english. They play on words Beautifully and put sentences together unlike any American can. Anybody from I guess Yorkshire or around the area of Sheffield seem to speak English the best.

Mid Western Americans speak a very pure form of English with zero accent.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

The Add Jay wrote:Older British guys speak really cool english. They play on words Beautifully and put sentences together unlike any American can. Anybody from I guess Yorkshire or around the area of Sheffield seem to speak English the best.

Mid Western Americans speak a very pure form of English with zero accent.
The best accent...my own state obviously and its not up for debate...I wouldnt trade my accent for anything.

Fucking Fuhgeddaboudit!!! Jew eat yet? Naa Jew? Jew lose ya bird or somtin? lmfao! Deadass bro.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

I'm so glad I managed to rid myself of the terrible accent of south worcestershire (where brummie meets west country farmer). And the terrible grammar them thur yockels has.

It were focking shit lock. Ennit.

It still returns when very drunk or if speaking to a fellow native of the 3 counties of hereford, worcester and gloucester shires.

Luckily I got out at 18.
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

It's still better than those whiny US accents. Dunno what state/s, but that whiny nasally thing is really annoying.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic