What If Foreigners Were Able to Buy Houses on Ground Floor?

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What If Foreigners Were Able to Buy Houses on Ground Flo

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Well, that's a better point, but then again huge Vietnamese corporations own hard title already.
They don't, they are only leasees.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Well, that's a better point, but then again huge Vietnamese corporations own hard title already.
They don't, they are only leasees.
I have heard it depends IF it is registered as a foreign company or not. If it pays taxes to the country it's registered in outside Cambodia
then it can buy hard lease in the companies name. So I have been told. Pretty standard stuff as I have heard the same a few times round the world. Individual; no, but foreign company; yes. Can anyone confirm or deny it with facts and info?
The Vietnamese land ownership happened a while ago. Not sure how the new rubber companies etc. are set up
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: What If Foreigner Allowed to Buy House from Ground Floor

Post by juansweetpotato »

rubberbaron wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: A shareholder with no legal right to vote on company matters, to disbursement of profits or indeed to company assets is a polite legal fiction nothing more. It's a deliberate device to allow 100% foreign ownership while keeping nationalists mollified.
True, but having been in involved as a broker in such deals, there is a remaining risk for the foreign shareholder. Votes must be assigned according to shares held. Any other regulation will make the whole deal void and null according to the land law. You register a company with foreign shareholders for the purpose of acquiring land both the CDC and the Ministry of Commerce will point this out by handing over the relevant sections. Many of the smaller deals will simply go undetected as the buyer's name won't appear on the title. They use a Khmer front man to hold it for them. Finding those is the hard part. A friend of mine specialized in this. And then, enforcement is not this government's strong suit so even the big deals can mostly go about their business unhindered.
Just caught that post. Thanks, interesting. So you are saying that the big foreign companies do have hard title or don't?
What are the regulations concerning buying out shareholders?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos NO one can own the land
its all goverment land an even the locals lease
...But bear in mind that freehold possession of land is not allowed even to citizens in Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam, where policy establishes the state as the owner of all land.
Interesting article and one which you all should read as it explains what is what.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/fin ... alled-home
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I support Mr. Death Channa's idea. The houses will be increasing the price and Cambodians will be difficult to afford to buy their own houses. Even it looks like not really good for National economy, but it helps a lot for Cambodians' earning such as renting apartments, houses and rooms. There are many sectors we can attract investors to invest in Cambodia. But let foreigners to buy house on ground floor is not good idea to implement in Cambodia's situation nowadays.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I think my friend said is right that I shouldn't work hard to buy any land I should marry with a guy who has his own house. Hehehe..
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic