Out of sight, out of mind.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Out of sight, out of mind.

Post by Soi Dog »

Apparently, poor = trafficked.

PPP wrote:A letter from the Phnom Penh municipality ordered that all homeless people be removed from the streets for their own safety.

City wants homeless gone
Tue, 10 June 2014
Sen David
Phnom Penh City Hall wants to sweep the capital’s streets clean of beggars, street kids and the homeless.

In a directive issued yesterday, the municipality told district officials to remove homeless people from public areas, using the rationale that such city dwellers are especially vulnerable to human trafficking.

“The social affairs department and all district governors must control and prevent an influx of [beggars and homeless] to the city,” Seng Ratanak, Phnom Penh’s deputy governor, said. “They are at risk of labour exploitation and human trafficking, and we need public order,” he said.

Ratanak advised officials to cooperate with nongovernmental organisations to collect and educate homeless people, street children, beggars, street newspaper and flower sellers, and disabled people.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... eless-gone
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Out of sight, out of mind.

Post by General Mackevili »

There's so many people in this city being trafficked, it's actually causing traffic.

So happy the government is solving this problem. I hope they get re-educated too. After they solve this huge problem I'm sure western countries will follow suite.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Given the numerous reports of the kids being the product of parents cashing in on them begging so not sending them to school... it actually sounds like a somewhat worthwhile thing to do. The trick will be making sure they end up in a school instead, versus just shoved down some dark hole of a slum and ignored.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

The undesirables will, as usual, be trucked away (just far enough outside the city that they can't easily return) and dropped off at a poorly planned, barren squatter's camp with tarps for shelter (if they are lucky). They will lose any ability they had to earn income by scavenging/begging/hustling/selling goods to the city folk who have the money. Having no other options, they will do whatever it takes to return to Phnom Penh.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Yet again, authorities are fixing symptoms, ignore the causes and opt for their favorite prevention program: "educating".

And NGOs are still doing the work the State should be doing.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Soi Dog wrote:The undesirables will, as usual, be trucked away (just far enough outside the city that they can't easily return) and dropped off at a poorly planned, barren squatter's camp with tarps for shelter (if they are lucky). They will lose any ability they had to earn income by scavenging/begging/hustling/selling goods to the city folk who have the money. Having no other options, they will do whatever it takes to return to Phnom Penh.
Yep. I still find it amazing that relatively-speaking, there are probably fewer homeless people in Phnom Penh than in many western cities (not counting various cyclos and motodops who sleep outside). But those unfortunate in the countryside who have no family/safety net anymore pretty much only have the option of heading out to the city to beg. I remember people saying on K440 that westerners giving money encouraged this, but I've seen way more Khmers giving money to children than any westerners. They don't realize the repercussions of giving money to begging children as much as westerners I'd say.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:... I've seen way more Khmers giving money to children than any westerners. They don't realize the repercussions of giving money to begging children as much as westerners I'd say.
Yeah, for sure. I think it has to do with them just wanted to receive good Karma, Buddhist style, and don't even consider what results their actions will cause.

Someone should tell them about CEO. An easy way to earn Karma without any negative side-effects.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

What about Cambodia expats? I would assume they/we are the least likely to hand over cash to children begging in the streets?

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

General Mackevili wrote:What about Cambodia expats? I would assume they/we are the least likely to hand over cash to children begging in the streets?
I never give money to children begging, the only thing that would accomplish is the kids thinking: 'why would I get a job or even consider getting one if begging is that easy, I mean, hold your hand up and people will give me money'.
What I do appreciate is some very young kids trying to make a living by selling things and not by begging, of course I've heard rumours about them being forced to do so, etc.
Does anyone know if these rumours are true?

I do, however, sometimes give small change to some of the elderly. Many of them have no or very few family and are dependent on gifts. This is not something I guessed, that's what they told me, obviously through my trusted translator. It's a reall shame that the government couldn't care less about these people, and I do mean both the young children and the elderly.

Serious question: is there ANY form of social security in Cambodia, I mean, provided by the government, not by NGO's? If there is, in what shape and/or form?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:What about Cambodia expats? I would assume they/we are the least likely to hand over cash to children begging in the streets?
Nope, not ever. Although I will take kids that are obviously hungry to a roach coach or Khmer restaurant and feed them if I think they're legit. There's a group of three little kids that hang around near Alma's Cafe that seem to be genuinely destitute, they hit Mrs Stroppy and I up the other day and were genuinely happy to be fed mystery protein on a stick in a breadroll.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic