Road rage foreigner

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Road rage foreigner

Post by StroppyChops »

newbie baby wrote:F
FTFY.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

newbie baby wrote:Hello all, my husband and I recently arrived from Singapore. We're happy here, the city is very different from home, but we know that already. We found a nice apartment in Bung kengkon near the market. This afternoon we went for a walk near Monivon Avenue, and we saw something very strange and unpleasant. A foreigner on a moto was trying to turn left and in the right lane. Another foreigner in a big silver truck came behind him, wanting to go straight, but in the wrong lane and started pushing the horn, but the other person have nowhere to go.Then the truck driver got angry and shout at the moto driver, even though he wa sin wrong lane, blocking traffic coming from opposite direction. Then nearly a big problem because both angry and shouting, but I think truck driver wrong but still making the problem. My question is why foreigner set the bad example driving like this and look down on other driver in Cambodia when he also wrong. if this happen in Singapore the police will take the truck driver and make him say sorry. Is this thing happening a lot with foreigner here? I never see this in Singapore. Thanks you. I take photo but cannot put on here.

T
BKK is a small area. It's possible the asshole in the truck knew and disliked the asshole on the bike, and set about riling him.

Your other question confuses me though; you seem to have formed a solid opinion that foreigners always look down on Cambodian drivers, yet you claim to have just arrived in the country. What gives?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

vladimir wrote:I think Samouth has a point, loads of foreigners complaining about Khmer drivers, but many do worse.

I think some get a well-paid job here, never had it so good, and feel they own the place.
In my observation, foreigners are some of the most unsafe drivers here. Much more likely than Khmers to do things like not wear a helmet, make unsafe left turns or cut across traffic inappropriately. But I don't think it's entitlement. It's ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance of the local ways of doing things and the arrogance to believe their hasty interpretation of what they see is correct. They look around and see a lack of law in Cambodian driving and interpret it as a lack of rules, imagining that means they can do whatever they want, when in fact there are broad rules, habits and patterns to which most people adhere, if at least generally, which does make traffic predictable. Or almost as bad, they try to apply western traffic sense to Cambodian traffic, and end up raging over something like improper lane usage (and looking the right fool in Khmer eyes on multiple levels.) None of which is to say that the way driving and traffic works in Cambodia is good, but it is the way it works.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

LTO wrote:
vladimir wrote:I think Samouth has a point, loads of foreigners complaining about Khmer drivers, but many do worse.

I think some get a well-paid job here, never had it so good, and feel they own the place.
In my observation, foreigners are some of the most unsafe drivers here. Much more likely than Khmers to do things like not wear a helmet, make unsafe left turns or cut across traffic inappropriately. But I don't think it's entitlement. It's ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance of the local ways of doing things and the arrogance to believe their hasty interpretation of what they see is correct. They look around and see a lack of law in Cambodian driving and interpret it as a lack of rules, imagining that means they can do whatever they want, when in fact there are broad rules, habits and patterns to which most people adhere, if at least generally, which does make traffic predictable. Or almost as bad, they try to apply western traffic sense to Cambodian traffic, and end up raging over something like improper lane usage (and looking the right fool in Khmer eyes on multiple levels.) None of which is to say that the way driving and traffic works in Cambodia is good, but it is the way it works.
I mainly agree with your post but when I run into a Khmer cutting the inside of a blind corner, I still give him the eyes as it is plain fucktardy, Khmer system or not :crazy:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I would just sit there and pretend I'm unaware of a guy trying to cut lanes aggressively, I'm sure most Khmers do this.

Why not just ask politely?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

the roads in SHV the locals are far worse drivers, then again theres no policing after 5.30pm lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

barang chkai chgoot..........
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:the roads in SHV the locals are far worse drivers, then again theres no policing after 5.30pm lol
That is yet something else...
I have been de facto warden for my Embassy for a few years and lost count of splattered brains I was asked to "assist". Often not even nationals we were supposed to represent but the SHV finest knew I would lend them my camera...

Anyway I always found to be a mystery how 2 guys on 2 motorbikes could kill each other at 2 am on the once deserted 6 lanes main street :bow:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

In my younger days I used to work at a gym, I would open up for them at 5am and get free membership in return.

Not many people around at that time, but one day I was crossing the market square and this guy walked into me.

I saw him when he was around 20m away, started moving away from him, he moved towards me, I moved away...bang. He walked right into me. I had my hand on the knife in my pocket, then I realised he was just one of those idiots who wanders around with zero awareness of their surroundings

Sometimes I'm driving, I move to the right hand lane to give someone coming the other way space, and the nutter going the other way moves ACROSS the median towards me, when if he just kept going or moved to his right...

The accident magnet.

Bizarro, bro. :crazy: %)
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I get bad road rage sometimes, and I've done similar stuff before. The roads here make one become selfish. You need to be selfish to survive, so they breed even more such behaviour.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic