Tornado Hits Sihanoukville's Deep Water Seaport

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Tornado Hits Sihanoukville's Deep Water Seaport

Post by Hotdigr »

You fella's were lucky then. I was in Lennox when these 2 hit they were devestating. http://www.smh.com.au/environment/water ... -x0fy.html
Last edited by Hotdigr on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Tornado Hits Sihanoukville's Deep Water Seaport

Post by Sailorman »

When I was in the US Coast Guard in the late '60s I did two Ocean Station November patrols on a 255ft cutter. Ocean Station November was half way between Hawaii and California and we would steam in a 10 mile by 10 mile grid for 30 to 45 days. I got to see one waterspout in the two patrols. Lots of rainbows though.

One storm we were knocked 22 miles off station even though we were steaming as fast as the weather would allow. When the bow would nose into a wave we would have green (solid) water almost to the bridge level which was three stores from the main deck. I was on the helm when we rolled 38 degrees and dipped one of out lifeboats that was hanging on the side of the ship in the water. We would also have a solid wall of spray all the way to the stern. No one on watch was dry that storm. Lots of puking in buckets. I believe if memory serves me right the roll over point for the 255ft Lake class cutter was around 45 to 50 degrees. Very scary storm, but I was too young to be really scared and loved the storm for the first couple days, after that your body becomes really tired and beaten up from all the motion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic