Couple Hacked and Stabbed Each Other to Death

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Therapist
Expatriate

Re: Couple Hacked and Stabbed Each Other to Death

Post by Therapist »

prahkeitouj wrote: Do they need to let the company know about history of their health?(in Korea).
In Cambodia, it is secret if you go to see psychologist. A friend had mental problem, spent many years and a lot for her illness. she was really hard to stop using the drug. Finally she could overcome it by reducing taking pill without let the psychologist know about it. Another colleague was s chocked of stamping at Pich bridge during Water Festival. She went to see psychologist but had same problem like my friend too. I think psychologists are only for people who have money and admit that they have metal illness. But how can we find the reliable one? How can the poor can have this service if they have it?
At least the way of suicide in Cambodia don't bother the public property like in Korea and Japan.
Prahkeitouj ,

To answer the easier question, in general, I think people in Korea and Japan do not openly announce they are seeking counseling because public honor is very important. When I lived in Manhattan it was trendy to be seeing a psychotherapist, lol. Here in Asia, more than the individual the honor of the family and extended clan is what is most important, at least in South Korea. Ironically, statistics show that many people in Korea and Japan actually do seek psychiatric care for stress and depression.

But the key word I said in my post was “private company”. Unless you pay for your mental health care in cash only, a private company has ways of finding out through due diligence if you have been paying for mental healthcare. On the other hand, public corporations and government employees are protected by laws so that even if you pay with insurance they cannot terminate your employment unless your condition prohibits you from performing your work. Does that make sense, Prahkeitouj?

Now about your friends I wish you provided more information. Are they dependent on recreational drugs like meth or drugs that their doctors prescribed? Are they suffering from depression or were they born with a condition like schizophrenia, Prahkeitouj?
In any case, I commiserate with your friends and feel deep sadness for their situation. I am not a doctor but it sounds like one of your friends might be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but the doctors and their pills did not help me. What helped me was helping others and reaching out to my old unit buddies, friends and students. However, Prahkeitouj, I did have periods were I isolated and stay by myself for long periods of time; so long that what felt like a couple of months was actually a couple of years. Do any of friends do this too? Prahkeitouj, I was quite wealthy once but I am not ashamed to say that I was also homeless and ate out of garbage bins; I was too proud to ask for government assistance and I looked like I was dying from aids. Again it was my old buddies and students that tracked me down and helped me.

There is a study from Harvard that theorizes that it is the placebo effect that is really what is helping people taking many antidepressants and other drugs. There is also a psychologist named Stephen Ilardi who advocates therapeutic lifestyle changes for depression instead of medications.

I guess my point is that if your friends can’t find proper mental health care in Cambodia at this time, Prahkeitouj, the next best thing might be a supportive environment of honest, grounded people, especially if they have gone through similar problems. Good companions, exercise, and having a simple passion in life helped me more than expensive prescribed medications. The last thing I want to share from my limited experience is that helping others also helped me in the same way that forgiving people, ironically, heals you too.

I am not a smart man Prahkeitouj, but I hope this answers some of your questions. I would like to know how your friends are doing too.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Therapist wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:<snip>
Another colleague was s chocked of stamping at Pich bridge during Water Festival.
</snip>
You might want to familiarize yourself with what prahkeitouj is talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phnom_Penh_stampede
Therapist
Expatriate

Post by Therapist »

Thanks for link UT.

Yeah, that definitely helps me understand what prahkeitouj was talking about much better.
:thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Therapist wrote:
Prahkeitouj ,

To answer the easier question, in general, I think people in Korea and Japan do not openly announce they are seeking counseling because public honor is very important. When I lived in Manhattan it was trendy to be seeing a psychotherapist, lol. Here in Asia, more than the individual the honor of the family and extended clan is what is most important, at least in South Korea. Ironically, statistics show that many people in Korea and Japan actually do seek psychiatric care for stress and depression.

But the key word I said in my post was “private company”. Unless you pay for your mental health care in cash only, a private company has ways of finding out through due diligence if you have been paying for mental healthcare. On the other hand, public corporations and government employees are protected by laws so that even if you pay with insurance they cannot terminate your employment unless your condition prohibits you from performing your work. Does that make sense, Prahkeitouj?

Now about your friends I wish you provided more information. Are they dependent on recreational drugs like meth or drugs that their doctors prescribed? Are they suffering from depression or were they born with a condition like schizophrenia, Prahkeitouj?
In any case, I commiserate with your friends and feel deep sadness for their situation. I am not a doctor but it sounds like one of your friends might be suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder but the doctors and their pills did not help me. What helped me was helping others and reaching out to my old unit buddies, friends and students. However, Prahkeitouj, I did have periods were I isolated and stay by myself for long periods of time; so long that what felt like a couple of months was actually a couple of years. Do any of friends do this too? Prahkeitouj, I was quite wealthy once but I am not ashamed to say that I was also homeless and ate out of garbage bins; I was too proud to ask for government assistance and I looked like I was dying from aids. Again it was my old buddies and students that tracked me down and helped me.

There is a study from Harvard that theorizes that it is the placebo effect that is really what is helping people taking many antidepressants and other drugs. There is also a psychologist named Stephen Ilardi who advocates therapeutic lifestyle changes for depression instead of medications.

I guess my point is that if your friends can’t find proper mental health care in Cambodia at this time, Prahkeitouj, the next best thing might be a supportive environment of honest, grounded people, especially if they have gone through similar problems. Good companions, exercise, and having a simple passion in life helped me more than expensive prescribed medications. The last thing I want to share from my limited experience is that helping others also helped me in the same way that forgiving people, ironically, heals you too.

I am not a smart man Prahkeitouj, but I hope this answers some of your questions. I would like to know how your friends are doing too.
for late to reply and thanks for your answer and sharing personal experience.
Doctored have my friends prescribed. And they both don't have metal problem from birth. As UT 's addition, you could understand.
Btw I really I understand your feeling when you met a difficult time. Yes, pill will not work well if our feeling is not inspired by ourselves and other too.

Thanks , UT for the link.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic