Why do expats end up destitute in Cambodia ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Why do expats end up destitute in Cambodia ?

Post by juansweetpotato »

Seeing as we are going all up market I will post my observations in HCMC 2 years ago for comparison. A 4 bed-roomed, unfurnished, 2 story penthouse apartment with a very large roof garden on the 22 floor of a development with a supermarket, swimming pool, tennis courts, bars, shops etc in Phu Mi Hung, a new Korean area in D.7, was $800 p.c. month. Stunning views and a nice river with grass (!) to sit on nearby + all the US food chains - KFC, Burger King, etc etc in close vicinity.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

But why do expats end up destitute in Cambodia ?
There are places much cheaper than those cited - especially outside of PP. In Cambodia, if you're not difficult you can rent a place for $100-200 a month. As someone else said, you can't find a shoebox for that in most western countries.
There is also the fact that in most western countries now the landlord wants to see your payslip and your bank account before renting.
It's still easier to rent in Cambodia if you've got the cash.

BUT when the cash runs out and you've got no Plan B ... then you're in the shit and maybe destitute.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Hotdigr wrote:http://www.livingin-australia.com/prices-australia/

Some interesting comparisons here. Sure, if you want to eat out at top class western restaurants here, prices may be comparable. However, for those of us with a true home life which includes cooking at home more often then not, it is just ridiculous how much cheaper good fresh food is here as compared to Australia. Interesting one to look at is the cheese, which is one thing every ones says is much more expensive here. Not as compared to Australia. Also the steak. From LSH or Lee's I can buy Australian export quality steak over here at around 30% less ( taking the exchange rate in to account) then I can the shit quality meat that Coles or Woolies sells, let alone buying decent quality from a proper butcher.
However, back to the original question. I believe the reason that some expats end up destitute here is because they DON'T have that true home life and the grounding it provides. They may have been here for years, but never really make the transition from tourist to expat in their mind. How many of them eat out most nights of the week back in their home country, as compared to eating at home? How many spend a few hours EVERY afternoon/night at the pub/bar back at home as compared to going home and spending some time with your significant other?
My reputation on the forums by people that don't know me, is that I am a drunken party animal. For those who know me, they know this couldn't be further from the truth. I spend significantly more time at home, cooking dinner and watching T.V or reading books ( or hassling some idiots on the forums!), with my partner then I do out partying on the sex,drugs and rock and roll circuit.I don't touch drugs anymore in any way shape or form. I have a small group of good friends who have a similar outlook to me and don't feel the need to add to that group often. I may go out partying once a month, but usually less. I will go down to my favourite bar 2 or 3 times a week at about 5.30 pm after I finish work and have a few beers with my friends, but it very rare you will find me out after 8ish. Sure I drink to much and smoke to much, but (the drinking at least) is well under control and not excessive by anyone's standards.
This lifestyle gives me a grounding that those who become destitute don't have.
And I think if you look at all the people who have successfully made a life in a foreign country, this would be true for the majority of them I would think.
Australia is ridiculously expensive these days. I was in the UK earlier this year and found it cheaper than Oz - something I couldn't say when I went to the UK ten years ago. Richard is right in that the US is cheap as hell. Even New York is cheaper than Oz for most things.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

not sure where abouts in Oz youre talking about specifically but i was in melbourne earlier this year and found it slightly cheaper than the UK, the public transport being one of the biggest stand outs, lots of other things as well, even the alcohol was a similar price, i was really shocked tbh as id heard so many people going on about it, its more expensive in london than it is in melbourne by quite a way, when i was there it was £1-$2 the exchange rate like, ive just checked and its even better now at £1-$2.16
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

not sure where abouts in Oz youre talking about specifically but i was in melbourne earlier this year and found it slightly cheaper than the UK, the public transport being one of the biggest stand outs, lots of other things as well, even the alcohol was a similar price, i was really shocked tbh as id heard so many people going on about it, its more expensive in london than it is in melbourne by quite a way, when i was there it was £1-$2 the exchange rate like, ive just checked and its even better now at £1-$2.16
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Jamie_Lambo wrote:not sure where abouts in Oz youre talking about specifically but i was in melbourne earlier this year and found it slightly cheaper than the UK, the public transport being one of the biggest stand outs, lots of other things as well, even the alcohol was a similar price, i was really shocked tbh as id heard so many people going on about it, its more expensive in london than it is in melbourne by quite a way, when i was there it was £1-$2 the exchange rate like, ive just checked and its even better now at £1-$2.16
Sorry, was talking about Perth. I admit Melbourne and Sydney are cheaper, although property is most expensive in Sydney.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Jamie_Lambo wrote:not sure where abouts in Oz youre talking about specifically but i was in melbourne earlier this year and found it slightly cheaper than the UK, the public transport being one of the biggest stand outs, lots of other things as well, even the alcohol was a similar price, i was really shocked tbh as id heard so many people going on about it, its more expensive in london than it is in melbourne by quite a way, when i was there it was £1-$2 the exchange rate like, ive just checked and its even better now at £1-$2.16
Sorry, was talking about Perth. I admit Melbourne and Sydney are cheaper, although property is most expensive in Sydney.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Satiated Parrot wrote:
yeah thought you would have been on about perth, the wages shows it though, in melbourne i was earning $240 a day which is shit, i can earn double that in the UK, in Perth the same job earns $400 a day, so goes to show ay :P
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Satiated Parrot wrote:
yeah thought you would have been on about perth, the wages shows it though, in melbourne i was earning $240 a day which is shit, i can earn double that in the UK, in Perth the same job earns $400 a day, so goes to show ay :P
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Satiated Parrot wrote:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic