Why do expats end up destitute in Cambodia ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Why do expats end up destitute in Cambodia ?

Post by Hotdigr »

http://www.livingin-australia.com/prices-australia/

Some interesting comparisons here. Sure, if you want to eat out at top class western restaurants here, prices may be comparable. However, for those of us with a true home life which includes cooking at home more often then not, it is just ridiculous how much cheaper good fresh food is here as compared to Australia. Interesting one to look at is the cheese, which is one thing every ones says is much more expensive here. Not as compared to Australia. Also the steak. From LSH or Lee's I can buy Australian export quality steak over here at around 30% less ( taking the exchange rate in to account) then I can the shit quality meat that Coles or Woolies sells, let alone buying decent quality from a proper butcher.
However, back to the original question. I believe the reason that some expats end up destitute here is because they DON'T have that true home life and the grounding it provides. They may have been here for years, but never really make the transition from tourist to expat in their mind. How many of them eat out most nights of the week back in their home country, as compared to eating at home? How many spend a few hours EVERY afternoon/night at the pub/bar back at home as compared to going home and spending some time with your significant other?
My reputation on the forums by people that don't know me, is that I am a drunken party animal. For those who know me, they know this couldn't be further from the truth. I spend significantly more time at home, cooking dinner and watching T.V or reading books ( or hassling some idiots on the forums!), with my partner then I do out partying on the sex,drugs and rock and roll circuit.I don't touch drugs anymore in any way shape or form. I have a small group of good friends who have a similar outlook to me and don't feel the need to add to that group often. I may go out partying once a month, but usually less. I will go down to my favourite bar 2 or 3 times a week at about 5.30 pm after I finish work and have a few beers with my friends, but it very rare you will find me out after 8ish. Sure I drink to much and smoke to much, but (the drinking at least) is well under control and not excessive by anyone's standards.
This lifestyle gives me a grounding that those who become destitute don't have.
And I think if you look at all the people who have successfully made a life in a foreign country, this would be true for the majority of them I would think.
Eros
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Eros »

Kuroneko wrote:Living in Phnom Penh costed me half as much per month as living in Australia. Of course with the collapsing Australia dollar it is now costing me more, but it is still much cheaper here. I could not get a serviced waterfront apartment with gym and pool in Brisbane for anywhere near $600 a month. There are some nice properties in Chroy Changvar between $500 and $1500 offering really nice living at an affordable price.

I like Australia, especially the "top end" great climate but really expensive and over regulated. Phnom Penh is a much easier city for me to live and a hell of a lot more fun. It has a good collection of quality restaurants with good prices, that are far cheaper than Aus. A great plus here is the low price of good quality French wine, which is not that cheap in Aus, or easily available once you are away from say, Melbourne or Sydney.
Nice Pics K.

which apartments are they? i might have to check that area out a bit more...
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Another thing, I think Cambodia can make people give up on life. Those that were reasonably together back home (probably a lot to do with state welfare- dental, hospital etc) find that when they hit rock bottom over here because of excess, robbery or something, those usual lines of service are not open to them, People are often not too keen on lending them money also.
Boozers and serious druggies are normally the ones that come fully unstuck I would expect. Maybe nothing back home for them and no wish to try and have another go at building something. And when you go past that turning point in Cambodia, it's a hard slog back.

When you leave, especially if you don't go back often, you tend to cut of all ties and associations that have taken years to build up. Every new place requires a commitment to obtain them all again. We're also human and therefore need support networks. I just see tumbleweed for the barangs mostly. Too many that succumb to the high prices because of ladies and drugs perhaps. The Khmer are quite good at supporting each other sometimes.

As I posted on the other site, I had some bad luck with a housing deal and found myself relying on teaching work that wasn't quite as forthcoming with the hours that I had hoped. I persevered and budgeted and worked my way back to a reasonable (although precarious) standard of living again. Unfortunately the bad deal has left me without my emergency budget. Now , after the teeth etc , I can work on building that back up. A long and slow process. But I'm not a drunk or a drug addict.

Its all part of an interesting life though.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Eros wrote:
which apartments are they? i might have to check that area out a bit more...
The top one is Mekong Gardens http://www.mekong-gardens.com/
The other pics are Bellvue http://bellevueservicedapartments.com/

some more here
http://www.cdnproperty.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=91

These are all in Chroy Changvar which is quieter than central PP and also cheaper, and generally takes me about 10-15 minutes to ride into town
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

nice>>
costs??
I lived over that side in 2008/09 next to the wat and had the daily ferry to end of street 136
it was $400/month for a studio with river view
electric extra (but had a generator)free cable, free internet, parking, cleaning 2 days a week

I loved it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote:nice>>
costs??
Mekong Gardens prices started from just over $450/m for 64 sq m studio. Current price for a 143 sq m 2 bed appt is around $830/month. The pool and BBQ area actually fronts the river.
Pics of 2 bed appt.

Bellvue appartments are more "upmarket"as the photos in my previous post show. I think a one bedroom was around $1300/m when I checked. Wifi is free and I think you get so much water and electric free. In addition to the usual pool,sauna gym etc they also have tennis courts, and the kitchen facilities are very good.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for comparison; not claiming one is better than the other.

"...Current price for a 143 sq m 2 bed appt is around $830/month....."
at that price, cheaper than a 2 bedroom condo in downtown Bangkok
about same or a bit less than u'd pay for a nice 2 bedroom house here in phuket an about same as a nice 2 bedroom condo with same facilities.

"....I think a one bedroom was around $1300/m"
the one bedroom is MUCH more than u'd pay in Bangkok or here..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote:for comparison; not claiming one is better than the other.

"...Current price for a 143 sq m 2 bed appt is around $830/month....."
at that price, cheaper than a 2 bedroom condo in downtown Bangkok
about same or a bit less than u'd pay for a nice 2 bedroom house here in phuket an about same as a nice 2 bedroom condo with same facilities.

"....I think a one bedroom was around $1300/m"
the one bedroom is MUCH more than u'd pay in Bangkok or here..
One of the things i've found with Bangkok apartments is they are often quite small. Bellvue is a bit "exe" that's why I didn't move. My 74sq m appt facing the river is $680/month. I looked at a really nice place in the DBLY Tower. They offered a 200sq m two bedroom appt for $900 per month on a special promo, but the falling Aus dollar decided me to stay put.

The big draw for me here is living on the river in a rural setting but only ten minutes away from the City. The cheapness of good french wine, the availability of imported French deli foods and the number of good restaurants in a relatively small area is also important. I think things are changing in Thailand with more international restaurants opening but they are expensive compared to here, particularly with respect to wine prices.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

From destitute barangs to 1k+ housing.. Am I on kh440 ? :dm:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

end of the day;
if ur rent is under 25% of ur income,after tax's ur doing well

not many destitute Barangs paying $600++ /month to rent a place LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic