Fire at Key Club last night, Killed 5 and Injured 2

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Fire at Key Club last night, Killed 5 and Injured 2

Post by juansweetpotato »

Sailorman wrote:There is an Australian NGO that trains Firefighters or at least they say they do. My guess its like the rest of the NGO's which are just a money scam. I volunteered to teach (for free), have the documentation/certificates/experience, but was told thanks, but no. My guess is I was getting into their rice bowl. Lucky, everything here is made out of concrete.
Yep, that's exactly what a Khmer said when we were discussing Khmer wooden houses. He was saying they have no real idea about safety a lot of the time and when the houses were all wood, there were a lot of fires. He was a project manager for a large western style luxury apartment complex and a very honest and smart Khmer architectural engineer. Told me the real M2 prices for building in SNVL/ KOW.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Interview on Cambodian fire safety regulations, or the lack of them.
Deaths by fire on the rise due to total lack of building regulations
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... egulations
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Almost no money is spent on fire departments and equipment. In Sihanoukville, everything they have is either donated or second hand cast offs. The firemen have to hold a second job to make ends meet and there is the usual corruption with payoffs to high ups for any work done.

I'm told that the port in Sihanoukville has some good equipment, but there is no "mutual response" between it and the city fire department, which means no backup in a big fire. I was at the last big fire that took out Mick n' Craigs, Monkey Republic, etc. One well equipped pumper fire truck, three inch and a half hose lays with nozzles that go from steam to fog, three guys in air-packs (SCBA) with training and a lot of that property damage would have never happened. As usual the money that should be spent on the fire department goes into someone's pocket.

Yes, lucky everything is made out of concrete, but people aren't.

I believe this "Fire Safe" is the NGO that turned me down as an volunteer instructor because I was getting into their rice bowl.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Going back through my emails, I offered to teach (for free) firefighting skills and was turned down by Australian Firefighters International Relief (NGO). (I was getting into their rice bowl.) It seems the guy in the interview is co-founder of AFIRE(NGO) and has now started commercial for profit companies to sell firefighting equipment. Like most NGOs the bottom line looks to be money. Get money from your countrymen to run your NGO and live well, then direct fire departments to buy equipment from your for profit company. I don't call it Scambodia for nothing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic