Is CEO Repeating The Mistakes of That Other Site

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
migratory
Expatriate
Israel

Re: Is CEO Repeating The Mistakes of That Other Site

Post by migratory »

Yeah, some goon over there just derailed a thread about the French being hated by the whores.. fuck that..
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:One of the biggest things I disliked on the other site was the mega posting of a few posters centered on numerous personal one liner light hearted conversations between themselves. It appeared on a lot of threads often derailing them from the original topic. I seriously hope that doesn't happen here. Quality over quantity is I guess what I'm hoping for.
I hate that phrase. It's retarded. Quantity is where you will get quality... but if people can't have a friendly fun chat, why should they bother coming? To wave pseudo-intellectual cocks in one anothers faces? Boring as piss. While I get that one may feel left out of anothers inside joke, that's no reason to deny them from posting about it. Just like when you have an inside joke with another member, they shouldn't deny you that.

And if that's the mega-posting, then it's likely because honestly not a LOT happens here. Not everyone wants to get involved in debate on every topic, and there just aren't that many varied topics by and large... so some fun and joking keeping people on the forums so that when there IS a worthwhile topic they're in place to talk about it just makes sense.

That quantity you dislike is the lifeblood of a forum... and why facebook/twitter has killed off so many.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:One of the biggest things I disliked on the other site was the mega posting of a few posters centered on numerous personal one liner light hearted conversations between themselves. It appeared on a lot of threads often derailing them from the original topic. I seriously hope that doesn't happen here. Quality over quantity is I guess what I'm hoping for.
I hate that phrase. It's retarded. Quantity is where you will get quality... but if people can't have a friendly fun chat, why should they bother coming? To wave pseudo-intellectual cocks in one anothers faces? Boring as piss. While I get that one may feel left out of anothers inside joke, that's no reason to deny them from posting about it. Just like when you have an inside joke with another member, they shouldn't deny you that.

And if that's the mega-posting, then it's likely because honestly not a LOT happens here. Not everyone wants to get involved in debate on every topic, and there just aren't that many varied topics by and large... so some fun and joking keeping people on the forums so that when there IS a worthwhile topic they're in place to talk about it just makes sense.

That quantity you dislike is the lifeblood of a forum... and why facebook/twitter has killed off so many.
Meh --- you need a balance. Interesting content is the lifeblood of a forum -- not 3 or 4 mega-posters on a big "inside joke" about everything. Bring the content and the posts will follow (Some Serious -- Some not). Without content you are easily replaced by Facebook.

That was my problem with the other forum. There were always some good topics --- but people were so territorial about protecting their turf ---- and when there was "light-hearted banter" it was always some inside joke. I just found the forum impenetrable. To their credit they have raised their game a little bit over the past two weeks. I have my doubts they can truly change their spots ---- in the same way I have doubts about you guys consistently bringing enough content here to make it sustainable long term.

As much as I dislike KIR's heavy handed and mean-spirited style I am actually "rooting" for both forums. At the very least, you will keep each other honest.
Last edited by Rain Dog on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Rain Dog wrote: To their credit they have raised their game a little bit over the two weeks.
Haha, everyone can thank CEO's existence for that. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

General Mackevili wrote:
Rain Dog wrote: To their credit they have raised their game a little bit over the two weeks.
Haha, everyone can thank CEO's existence for that. Image
I agree --- you guys have given them a serious wake-up call. Now they have raised their game a bit --- are you going to follow? Just being a places for disgruntled ex-K440s to vent and having a "flying chicken" posting Threads like "Are Chinese Good Fuckers" (Your Newest thread on General Chatter), won't get it done. You guys actually have a big opportunity here --- but if just evolves into another "inside joke" forum you will not go far. Thus my point about Content and not just post count. Believe me, I know ---- I have been through these things before.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Rain Dog wrote: ---- in the same way I have doubts about you guys consistently bringing enough content here to make it sustainable long term.
I think we've already attracted a lot of posters and threads that you'd never find on K440.

I was at a bar Saturday night with a K440 mod and someone jumped into our conversation: "Fuck K440! I've lived here for a long time and I've only posted there a dozen times because of all the assholes with their bullshit responses..."

A Kodak moment, LoL.

Threads have already been started here that nobody would dare to start over at K440 because all they'll get is a bunch of harassment.

It goes back to the "negativity" we're keeping off of CEO.

Of course there will always be people that don't care if they ask a question on a forum and everyone just comes and shits all over them (including me, LoL), but they are few and far between.

Banter is good, but K440 has a well deserved reputation for being a place to sign up if you like being harassed and be treated with a double standard when it comes to modding.

Again, they have DEFINITELY stepped up their game a lot since CEO came into the picture, and if they can keep it up, they have a good chance of surviving.

I think it's funny to see how much they accuse us of being "copy cats" yet they have gone WAAAAY out of their way to march to the beat of a different drum since CEO has been in direct competition (friendly competition, that is).

If we are just copy cats and they have nothing to worry about since CEO has emerged, why such big changes over there?

I can tell you why, LoL. They know we're on to a good thing here and realize they'll have to change, or step aside. There it's no other reasonable/logical answer.

Hell, their freaking site is for sale! That sums up the situation rather nicely, doesn't it?

You usually don't sell businesses that you think are headed in the right direction.

It's pretty common to sell your business when a fierce, new competitor enters into the market and you're uncertain about the future.

I also wish them luck, but they will definitely need to change their spots if they hope to succeed. (And their recent attempt to copy our exact modding style is an excellent start!)

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

There has been a slight change of tone on K440. Heck, Nirvana and I were given kudos for engaging in (and somewhat concluding) a discussion without falling into a pissing contest.

Also, note for you guys, because I'm probably too emotional and I need to censor myself before I say something bitchy, I'll just follow Rain Dog around and +1 him because he says things better than I would do.

So this:
Rain Dog wrote:Meh --- you need a balance. Interesting content is the lifeblood of a forum -- not 3 or 4 mega-posters on a big "inside joke" about everything. Bring the content and the posts will follow (Some Serious -- Some not). Without content you are easily replaced by Facebook.
+1

And this:
Rain Dog wrote:Now they have raised their game a bit --- are you going to follow? Just being a places for disgruntled ex-K440s to vent and having a "flying chicken" posting Threads like "Are Chinese Good Fuckers" (Your Newest thread on General Chatter), won't get it done.
+1
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Joon wrote: ...slight change...
:ROFL:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

I'm still intellectually honest. I can't take that out.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Rain Dog wrote:
I agree --- you guys have given them a serious wake-up call. Now they have raised their game a bit --- are you going to follow? Just being a places for disgruntled ex-K440s to vent and having a "flying chicken" posting Threads like "Are Chinese Good Fuckers" (Your Newest thread on General Chatter), won't get it done. You guys actually have a big opportunity here --- but if just evolves into another "inside joke" forum you will not go far. Thus my point about Content and not just post count. Believe me, I know ---- I have been through these things before.
I agree. Even in the span of only a month we've gotten pretty far away from being a "protest site."

Thanks to our members for that. Kudos. Even this thread has been moved to the Asinine Arena.

It was also interesting to see them lock the CEO thread (for whatever reason). That kind of showed that unnecessary censorship is still in play over there. Oh well. Their site.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic