Our neighbors to the East...???

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Our neighbors to the East...???

Post by StroppyChops »

FreeSocrates! wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I once convinced my ambulance partner's daughter that if you travel back through the time zones, you get younger. Hilarious, but more so when she presented that as 'news' at school the next day. She was pretty uptight with me after that, but being the good guy that I am I explained that it only works while you're flying, not if you're going from country to country. After she'd been to school and shared this update, she never really fully trusted me again.
Actually I believe it does work if you're travelling at the speed of light, but I don't believe timezone direction matters. Though I think it would be affected by the direction the earth spins in.

I've always wondered how much affect the direction of the Earth spinning has on Flight Duration, I'd assume in one direction must be faster than the reverse direction since the Earth is catching up to you... but how big of an affect does it have?
I've often wondered if jetlag is more a result of shifting in time rather than geography.

Also, it's been demonstrated that elevation affects aging (so, time) - the twin astronaut paradox/hypothesis explores this.
http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/Twins
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

FreeSocrates! wrote:
Actually I believe it does work if you're travelling at the speed of light,
.....Actually, to get younger, I think you have to travel FASTER than the speed of light.

Traveling at the speed of light will only stop you from aging further. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

StroppyChops wrote:
FreeSocrates! wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I once convinced my ambulance partner's daughter that if you travel back through the time zones, you get younger. Hilarious, but more so when she presented that as 'news' at school the next day. She was pretty uptight with me after that, but being the good guy that I am I explained that it only works while you're flying, not if you're going from country to country. After she'd been to school and shared this update, she never really fully trusted me again.
Actually I believe it does work if you're travelling at the speed of light, but I don't believe timezone direction matters. Though I think it would be affected by the direction the earth spins in.

I've always wondered how much affect the direction of the Earth spinning has on Flight Duration, I'd assume in one direction must be faster than the reverse direction since the Earth is catching up to you... but how big of an affect does it have?
I've often wondered if jetlag is more a result of shifting in time rather than geography.

Also, it's been demonstrated that elevation affects aging (so, time) - the twin astronaut paradox/hypothesis explores this.
http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/Twins
Thanks for the link, it's pretty decent. I've for a long time tried to understand Einstein.

I do get some of it, but some of it just really blows my mind...

It's all those pictures with the Earth in the center, and the moon going around it like a funnel. I understand that the earth is warping space-time, what I don't understand is why they always represent space time as a graphic as a flat surface.

Isn't the earth surrounded by space-time in every direction?

To me it appears that the the universal is flat except for the occasional place where a plant or star sits when I look at graphics like these:

General Mackevili wrote:
FreeSocrates! wrote:
Actually I believe it does work if you're travelling at the speed of light,
.....Actually, to get younger, I think you have to travel FASTER than the speed of light.

Traveling at the speed of light will only stop you from aging further. Image
Time is observer dependent I think.

For example if I was traveling at the speed of light visiting exotic planets and banging aliens with 17 orifices and came back 40 of your earth years later and posted on here, I'd still be like 35, and you'd be like 75 with an 18 year old GF that hangs out at GSM. lol, j/k

:crazy:
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Hopefully we get the chance to test this out in the not-so-distant future.

:twisted:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic