Brit held as national security threat

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Brit held as national security threat

Post by Anchor Moy »

More heavy-handedness from Thai authorities:

A British academic, who exposed a Thai official who had plagiarised his work, is being held at a detention centre in Bangkok over allegations he is a threat to national security.

Officials at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport stopped UN agricultural consultant Dr Wyn Ellis on Thursday 3 September,BBC News reported.

“I was told that I had been blacklisted as a danger to Thai society,” he told The Telegraph from the immigration holding centre.

“It’s ridiculous and I am hoping the immigration department will clear this up on Monday," he said.

The authorities attempted to deport Dr Ellis, who has lived in Thailand for 30 years, to Norway from where he arrived, but he refused to leave, according to The Telegraph.

His detention comes after Dr Ellis won a long-running plagiarism battle with the Thai government, which has raised questions about the country’s attitude towards intellectual property and whistle-blowers. ..
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 89026.html
obelisks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Brit held as national security threat

Post by obelisks »

this is absolutely disgusting because as at tonight the guy is still languishing in a detention cell at Bangkok airport. Fortunately however the world's seeing how pathetic and corrupt Thailand is because BBC world is now airing the subject.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34169104

and here is one video is the Dr himself explaining what happened and the second video shows two guys on a motorcycle stopping while his car is in traffic ( actually on the very day he was on his way to court )

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Brit held as national security threat

Post by Anchor Moy »

Dr Ellis has been released:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... k-academic
...The ordeal appears at best to be a failure to update the blacklist and at worst an example of the continuing ability of powerful figures in Thailand to target their enemies by exploiting the legal system...

The academic has lived in Thailand since 1985 and said his detention was part of a “long-running harassment campaign”.

He told the Guardian: “My home has undergone surveillance by individuals with false ID and false number plates, anonymous letters, long-running … tax inspections, investigation of my Thai citizenship, 480 telephone death threats, and rock attacks on my car.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic