Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Local Witnessed Rip Off Toward Foreigner and Took Action

Post by juansweetpotato »

No more vitriol left from me on this subject. I snapped. Stated my case. It's over. Thanks to the admin for not deleting the posts. Also, I should have stressed that it is the Cambodian shop keeper that is the main target of my vitriol (maybe that should be business man or anyone involved in a deal), but I also have to acknowledge that the xtreme pricing has been caused a lot by by the expat new arrivals.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

fair enough
pax
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

TheGrinchSR wrote:I went to the shop round the corner from my place about a week after I'd moved in. All I wanted was a couple of cans of Coke... the fat sweaty bastard at the till asked for $4. I was just in the middle of telling him where to shove the cokes when his wife arrived, apologized and asked for $1. Never been back since. They've lost out on around $1,500 of business because of it... (we go through a lot of coke with our friends Jack Daniels and Jim Beam here).
Very similar experience when I moved into my last two places.

When we moved into our current place I tried a few of the nearby shops. One old hag overcharged me and short-changed me in the same transaction. She lost a bit of face and a potential long-term customer. If I want to buy on that street now I go about 3 shops further down the road and have bought stacks of stuff.

Greed and stupidity = watching your former customers walking past with their purchases from your competitor.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Ok less vitriol more philosophy. Jamie does seem to have fitted in well and after reading his posts he does seem to be in that different category that I often muse about. I wonder if it is those that seem powerful and strong are more attractive in the Khmer culture as in certain African cultures. I also wonder that if the Khmer women like you, then you are accepted especially if you are married or going out with one. The problem maybe lies in why the Khmer woman is choosing you. Before you disregard the above as utter nonsense, those of you that know Vietnam may understand what I mean. I hear that even in Japan, unless you become Japanese you will never really be accepted. And the Japs don't need the money.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"Except its R500 city price [for sugar cane juice]"

Wrong. The price on the street in PP is R1000 and has been for at least the last 3 years.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Well, I had cane juice today near Central Market, and paid 500, maybe they didn't get the memo.

I am incredibly sexy and charming, maybe that's why.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

vladimir wrote:Well, I had cane juice today near Central Market, and paid 500, maybe they didn't get the memo.

Can we no longer say that every foreigner or expat always pay more than local for everything, because i have never been paying 500 riel for cane juice for the entire time i live in Phnom Penh, only the provinces. :ROFL:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:I remembered, i was doing the same thing at Pich Nel. I bought a piece of pineapple for $0.50, then when a barang went to buy it, the price went up to $1. I then talked to the seller and he got the same price as me. I actually hate it.
If you really mean that you hate your fellow Khmer for this, then I support you %100. But if your bullshitting (which I suspect) ....
I have done what i said and there is no reason for me to lie on forum. I didn't get any benefit from doing it. Plus, i don't need or have to make you believe what i said.

PS: I have done that kind of things for more than one time

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Samouth wrote:
vladimir wrote:Well, I had cane juice today near Central Market, and paid 500, maybe they didn't get the memo.

Can we no longer say that every foreigner or expat always pay more than local for everything, because i have never been paying 500 riel for cane juice for the entire time i live in Phnom Penh, only the provinces. :ROFL:
I remember it used to cost 500 Riel a bag, about 6 or 7 years ago. It's often sold in cups now and almost always costs 1000 Riel. When I'm around any shop I notice how much local people pay, and I notice that I also pay the same price. I guess I that makes me evil. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

John Bingham wrote:
Samouth wrote:

I remember it used to cost 500 Riel a bag, about 6 or 7 years ago. It's often sold in cups now and almost always costs 1000 Riel. When I'm around any shop I notice how much local people pay, and I notice that I also pay the same price. I guess I that makes me evil. :?
Hey John, I don't know when you moved to Cambodia. I came to live in Phnom Penh in late 2009 and at that time i already paid 1000 riel for a plastic cup of cane sugar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic