Street coffee

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Street coffee

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:But mostly they are charging now Riel 2000 for a cup......that should cover the things you have mentioned. These little Cambodian coffee shops are family run, they pay $5 - 10 "taxes" a month under the table and surely they don't use washing up liquid :roll: .
Anyway, I think it's possible to offer real coffe for this price. It's the typical Cambodian greed again that makes them buy fake coffee.
It costs me nearly $1 to make an espresso at home... I don't think it's typical greed at all, I think it's the economic realities coming home to roost. At least we're not in China, then all those places would be cooking your food in recycled gutter oil (dredged from drains that morning no less)... queue a prancing wu mao stage left to tell us how wonderful food is in China (even the communist party mouthpiece People's Daily concedes that gutter oil is an unpleasant part of everyone's life in China now...)
Last edited by TheGrinchSR on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

From coffee to gutter oil....come on Grinchy :D
Btw. how much is a pound of real Vietnamese coffee these days ????
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:From coffee to gutter oil....come on Grinchy :D
Btw. how much is a pound of real Vietnamese coffee these days ????
Gutter oil will make an appearance here sooner or later... all they need is drains first...

No idea on Vietnamese coffee - my preference is for Guatemalan coffee at the moment which has eclipsed the Brazilian and Italian versions I normally buy...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

........and ? how much is it ???.....the Guatemalan coffee, not the gutter oil.

I fully agree with this, btw.
TheGrinchSR wrote: Gutter oil will make an appearance here sooner or later... all they need is drains first...
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:........and ? how much is it ???.....the Guatemalan coffee, not the gutter oil.
10 cents a gram by your reckoning. Which is 70 cents a cup. Then there's the imported bottle water to make it with - 25 cents. And whatever the fuck the electricity for the machine costs... and I'd add a nominal 15 cents for machine overhead too (I replace it every 2 years or so).
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

TheGrinchSR wrote: 10 cents a gram by your reckoning. Then there's the imported bottle water to make it with - 25 cents.
$ 50 a pound :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a first one. You'd better buy a good blend from Europe !!!!!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: 10 cents a gram by your reckoning. Then there's the imported bottle water to make it with - 25 cents.
:shock: :shock: :shock: You'd better buy a good blend from Europe !!!!!
Honestly? Compared to my days in China where I could neither source coffee nor the machine and had to rely on Starbucks serving me a 4 shot espresso and a bottle of Evian for around $10 each day... this shit's cheap. The only essential to my working life is a half-decent cup of coffee...
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

TheGrinchSR wrote: Honestly?
Honestly !!! Hey :D please don't tell me that you are the "golden egg guy" from the other thread.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: Honestly?
Honestly !!! Hey :D please don't tell me that you are the "golden egg guy" from the other thread.
God no. Though I do know the guy who started the "golden egg" thread on K440... he's a nice chap.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I get free fresh-ground coffee.

So there!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic