What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Post by nightmare.believer »

thePeck wrote:I still want a pellet gun and shoot every damn person driving with their brights on all the time... wait this is about back home lol

Honestly I can't think of much that I DON'T miss, I miss a lot but there much better stuff here. The people, language and the way of life. I've bought land and now just deciding how to get good internet out in the province to make moving out there a reality.
Reminds me of the time I shared a taxi from Poipet to Phnom Penh. The driver's car was stuck on high beams, and he could not turn them off. As it started to get dark, we were still way outside the capitol. Each and every time we passed a car coming in the opposite direction, this happened: Other driver flicks his high beams on and off at us...then again...and then they were like, "fuck it," and blinded us with their high beams as they passed. I wasn't sure we'd make it.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

nightmare.believer wrote:
thePeck wrote:I still want a pellet gun and shoot every damn person driving with their brights on all the time... wait this is about back home lol

Honestly I can't think of much that I DON'T miss, I miss a lot but there much better stuff here. The people, language and the way of life. I've bought land and now just deciding how to get good internet out in the province to make moving out there a reality.
Reminds me of the time I shared a taxi from Poipet to Phnom Penh. The driver's car was stuck on high beams, and he could not turn them off. As it started to get dark, we were still way outside the capitol. Each and every time we passed a car coming in the opposite direction, this happened: Other driver flicks his high beams on and off at us...then again...and then they were like, "fuck it," and blinded us with their high beams as they passed. I wasn't sure we'd make it.
This has nothing to do with his highbeams being on. They do this to EVERY car they approach. Cocksuckers. It's a holdover from the time when all they had was a moto, it was intended to get the attention of the oncoming driver then make sure he could see you. Now it makes sure he can't see fucking anything.

[souce: i drive at night frequently]
Flynn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Flynn »

In addition to what has already been said:

1. Coins. Granted, back home I use credit/debit cards most of the time but I hate getting coins back as change. They just weigh down your pants (trousers) and fall out if you happen to sit down anywhere.

2. Having to pay/calculate sales tax/meal tax/tip on top of an already overpriced bill when eating out. I like being able to order meal for $5 and a beer for $1 and know that my bill will be exactly $6. I'll tip if appropriate but don't feel an obligation to tip 15%/20%/whatever as is expected in the U.S.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I love coins. I roll them on my fingers, lose them in my seats (to be found later when I was really hurting for a pack of smokes but too lazy to drive all the way to an ATM), keep them in a piggy bank to cash in when it's full and have an extra $40 and use them to scratch off shit that needs scratched off.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

Flynn wrote:In addition to what has already been said:

1. Coins. Granted, back home I use credit/debit cards most of the time but I hate getting coins back as change. They just weigh down your pants (trousers) and fall out if you happen to sit down anywhere.

2. Having to pay/calculate sales tax/meal tax/tip on top of an already overpriced bill when eating out. I like being able to order meal for $5 and a beer for $1 and know that my bill will be exactly $6. I'll tip if appropriate but don't feel an obligation to tip 15%/20%/whatever as is expected in the U.S.

+1.

Though I'd say the same about 100 riel notes. Mostly because they are small.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

Flynn wrote:In addition to what has already been said:

Agreed! I have also grown to hate coins after living here..
Mooser
Expatriate

Post by Mooser »

-35 c and 3 feet of snow for 4 months
Mooser
Expatriate

Post by Mooser »

-35 c and 3 feet of snow for 4 months
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Your keyboard is frozen, too!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Waking up in the dark, going home in the dark, being cold all day, narrow congested streets, lack of a social life especially after 11pm.

Guess where I'm from....
Spoiler:
small town England
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic