Where can I buy new or reliable second hand motorbikes?

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
jkindle
Tourist

Re: Where can I buy new or reliable second hand motorbikes?

Post by jkindle »

Thanks for the input from everyone here.

I already bought the Wave 100 this weekend and I must say the bike is more than good enough for myself to ride. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is just looking to ride in the city to/from work and for regular daily tasks.

That being said, I still have no plates on the bike as I bought it on the weekend and I was told to go to Prek Leap today to get them. They told me that if I were to get stopped by the police to pull out the invoice to show it's a new bike and they should let me off the hook.

I have several questions that I was hoping some of you can guide me with:
1. Has anyone ever been stopped by the police for having no plates on a new bike? If so, what was your experience?
2. Upon buying the bike, I was only given the invoice/receipt that proved that I paid for the bike. They told me that this was all I needed to show that I own it. Do I need to do any other paperwork such as transferring ownership to make sure that I'm the rightful owner? Is this something that I would do once I pick up my license plate?
3. How long does it generally take to get the plate? Do I get it same day? (I would need to take time off work to get the plates so I would like to be efficient with my time)
4. Unlike other bikes I've ridden (Dream and Cub), when I shift gears on the Wave it doesn't make the loud "click" sound, however switching gears doesn't appear to have any issues. Is this normal or should I have it looked at?

Thanks.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

1. I have. I showed my papers on the bike that it was newly imported, but then he said "Well, you make wrong turn." (I was going straight). I just pulled out 5000 riel and asked "Can I go now?" He sighed and took it. My only experience when someone tried to stop me for having no plate.

2. You should have an import tax document, unless you have an NCX Wave (made in Cambodia). If so, no tax doc required, just the sales receipt should be enough but I've never owned an NCX bike new, so I am not 100% entirely sure.

3. It varies, but I got my plate the same day every time. I had to wait a month to get the card though (the registration ownership card).

4. The Wave has a little shift damper on the primary clutch (if that makes any sense), and quiets the shifts down and stops the cogs from slamming into each other. These wear out relatively quickly (as in years), but most Khmer I've seen just leave them worn out and hence, the click shift.
-insert signature here
jkindle
Tourist

Post by jkindle »

Thanks a ton, AE86. I had no issues at all getting the plate as it appears that the dealer sent me to a "fixer" which basically let my skip all lines and waiting times. :D
CJM555
Expatriate

Post by CJM555 »

As AE86 noted, make sure you get the ID card too.

'We' bought one of these motos Wave 100 a couple of years ago, the current mrs cjm uses it more than me but never had any problems or issues - with the moto.
Would have gone for the 125 if for longer runs but for city use the Wave 100 would be no probs and is excellent on fuel consumption.
Maintenance: Only 1 issue, 10 months in the battery went and they changed immediately under 12 months warranty without any questions or hassle at all.
Only use fuel from petrol stations, regular moto oil changes which AE86 would know more about.
In Phnom Penh, I only use Caltex or Total petrol stations.

N.b.
1. You will have to get it blessed by the monks, $5-10 and handfuls of water chucked over and the red string tied to the hunnelbars.
2. Clear plastic wrapping to look after the moto.
These two matters are both obligatory and duly enforced, if you even dare to dispute this [particularly item 1] no-one will use the moto until completed.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

CJM555 wrote:1. You will have to get it blessed by the monks, $5-10 and handfuls of water chucked over and the red string tied to the hunnelbars.
So obviously the motos involved in accidents were blessed by fake monks.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

I read through the above entries and nothing really pertaining to any recommended shops for buying a used motorcycle.
Can anyone recommend a shop?

Thank you
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

KickingWithRedLabel wrote:I read through the above entries and nothing really pertaining to any recommended shops for buying a used motorcycle.
Can anyone recommend a shop?

Thank you
Absolutely not.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I feel the same way. I don't reply to the shop recommendation threads not because I'm lazy, but because I genuinely don't know of any mechanics here that really do trust to sell a decent used bike.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic